PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild options? (crank)

ESR250R
10-16-2007, 10:13 PM
i have basically a complete 86 style setup right now (with ported/o-ringed 86 cylinder and milled 86 head), and my original crankshaft bearing let loose. now i need to decide which crank/piston setup i want to use to rebuild this thing. let me hear your opinions, i decided i want to definetely go with a oem crank 87-89 crank, but am finding myself torn between using the 86 piston with a spacer or using a later piston with no spacer. how much more power is found in the spacer setup? i also need to get a idea what kinda bearing,gaskets, etc i should purchase so i can do this whole thing at once. also the stock head was nicked up with the engine failure, so i need to purchase a new stock head, when i get the new head on the engine i am gonna do a compression test, how much should i take off the head to get say 5 more pounds of compression?

250r4life
10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I would buy an engine gasket set that has everything in it- theyre like $40... you will have a couple things that probably wont need to be used, but you will have to use a majority of them...

I would also buy a seal kit- you can get them for like $35 and they have all the seals throughout the engine... again, you probably will not HAVE to use all of them...

Besides the New OEM crank, just get the 2 main bearings..

and then get your piston and a new wrist pin bearing...

thats all that comes to mind right now...