PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage

timmersam
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
How long should a tank of gas last me if im riding fairly hard? I cant seem to get more then an hour out of a tank. I noticed that my carb leaks when sitting so I always turn the gas off now. I am coming from a four stroke also, but is this normal?
Thanks alot,

Sam

250r4life
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
ported? which carb?

sounds like you need to mess with your floats, and you may want to check your pet cock as well...

it sounds to me like youre losing fuel, as i could do quite a bit of duning and hill shooting on one tank...

timmersam
10-16-2007, 07:23 PM
The motor is completely stock. I have had some trouble with this carb before this. I was debating selling it if this is was normal!
Thanks alot,
Sam

Rollscanardly
10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
could be leaking the fuel out of the overflow into the bottom end...sounds like a carb issue of some kind for sure...an hour out of a tank of gas sounds expensive =D

Hunter

wilkin250r
10-16-2007, 09:33 PM
You should get significantly more than an hour, even at hard riding.

Leaking fuel is NOT normal. Where is it leaking from (the bottom of the bowl, the overflow tube)?

timmersam
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I didnt have a chance to get a really good look at the carb so im not sure where it is leaking. I will be upgrading carbs soon hopefully. If I get a 310 powervalve with reeds and a bigger carb, how long should I expect to be able to go at hard riding, just so I know what to expect?
Thanks for the help,

Sam

ESR250R
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
on my 38mm a/s carb i can get around 3-4 hours, when i was running a stock carb it was more like 5-6.

timmersam
10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the help I will be keeping my R for sure now!
Thanks again,

Sam

Scott-300ex
10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeh 3-4 hours easy on mine, riding hard.

310 you'll have to do a top end a lot more, once a year if you ride it a lot.

Its prolly leaking from your overflow, unless you have some loose screws in there to your float bowl and get new lines and clamps on your tank to petcock and petcock to carb.

250r4life
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

310 you'll have to do a top end a lot more, once a year if you ride it a lot.

what are you talking about? i would love for YOU to give me a logical and correct explanation why giong with a bigger piston requires you to have to do a top end a lot more often...

lets here it...

QUOTE]Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Check this out,

330R engine built in 04 for a back up & practice bike, same engine was used in 05 for 24 races local & gnc national events. In 06, same engine 28 races local & gnc national events & have ran two events already for the 07 season.
Only thing touched on the engine in all that time has been a head dome was replaced because it spit a plug out & I cross threaded it going back in, so rather that helicoil the hole, just replaced the dome.
I can tell you this much though, never been run a single time on the lean side far as jets & had a clean Uni 2 stage foam air flter for every race, notice I didnt say K&N, thats right Uni.
You want it to live, you better filter that air.

Oh, & to top that all off, the 330 cylinder & head was a junker that a guy gave me after he had bought a 350 Pro-x top end, was a complete fresh rebuild in 04 though.
Neil [/QUOTE]

Scott-300ex
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow you give an example of one that lasted 24 races, I could give you an example of one that lasted 24 minutes.

Look at a 96 mustang 4.6 race that to a 2004 Mach 1 4.6 and tell me if they are the same.

I talked to an engine builder yesterday and he told me this, he's worked on rs since they came out, so he knows wuts up. And I know this will hurt your feelings a lot but he knows more than you, as well as everyone else on this site.

Scott-300ex
10-18-2007, 12:34 PM
+ I know a guy that has a 310 and he rebiulds it after every ride.

Don't try to prove me wrong.:mad:

250r4life
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
+ I know a guy that has a 310 and he rebiulds it after every ride.

Don't try to prove me wrong.:mad:

he must be running one of those high compression PISTONS huh? :devil:

i know idiots that cant keep 66mm piston engines running, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

in other words- you have no idea... you hear somebody say something, like your omnipotent builder buddy for instance, and you regurgitate it to act like you have half a clue...

timmersam
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I dont claim to know alot about 2 strokes but even I dont beleive that you have to rebuild it every ride. Also I was planning on refreshing the motor every winter anyways, just for good measure.
Thanks to those who helped me with this,

Sam

Aceman
10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I have a 310, I sure as hell don't rebuild it after every ride. I think your blowing this out of proportion Scott, I don't care what your motor builder is telling you. I compression check my motor on a regular basis and it never dropped from 180 psi in the last year with 40+ hours of riding. That's a fact!

Sam, I ran a 50 mile poker run, maybe 2 hours of moderately paced riding and only burned 1.5 gallons. I think that's pretty good if you ask me.:)

timmersam
10-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I cant wait to get my carb back so I can ride it :macho
Thanks for the help,

Sam