PDA

View Full Version : Top End and Clutch

Scott-300ex
10-16-2007, 10:40 AM
So Sat I raced an xc, blew my clutch on the first lap. So I'm going to get a hinson. Should I get a clutch basket too? Am I going to have to get a new bearing as well?

I need a top end too and is there a high compression Wiseco I should get or just go stock?

I got a race Nov. 5.

Thanks.

250r4life
10-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
So Sat I raced an xc, blew my clutch on the first lap. So I'm going to get a hinson. Should I get a clutch basket too? Am I going to have to get a new bearing as well?

I need a top end too and is there a high compression Wiseco I should get or just go stock?

I got a race Nov. 5.

Thanks.

lol... and this from a guy who supposedly has his own atv shop...

wilkin250r
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM
The condition of your current basket will determine whether you need a new basket or not. The Hinson baskets are hard-anodized to last longer than the stock ones.

As for the top end, it's different than a 4-stroke. There is no such thing as a "high compression piston" for the 250r. The compression ratio is changed in the head, not the piston. Either a change of dome (if you have that ability), or get the head rechambered for higher compression.

Aceman
10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
You need to take a look at your clutch to determine exactly what you need. If your basket isn't grooved yet, why replace it? If nothing else you can order a Hinson as a backup for when you do. I've also heard of a billet "PE Basket" that's similar to Hinson but cheaper.

250r4life
10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
with that stock cylinder monster that you cant keep the front end down in 6th gear, im sure his basket is chewed to death! :p

Scott-300ex
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Well I got it all tore down yesterday, just the top end and took it up to the honda shop to get new rings and honed and gaskets, the guy tells me it was bored .040 over, he looked at it for 2 seconds, I'm like, wtf, he said it said it on the piston which it didn't. So I left and decided to take it to a place I know an hour away that builds motors, kinda like a FTZ place. Have them hone it cuz I know they know wut they are doing, then measure the bore and order the correct piston and get me rings for it.

But the CR250 head gasket fit perfect for the bore.

So if its .040 over would that be a 257? Cuz .080 is 265 I thought

Then tear down the clutch soon and chang my Gear Saver.

I can't get if over there till monday so I guess I won't be riding this weekend like I planned.

Thanks guys.