PDA

View Full Version : rear caliper rebuild troubles

EXtreme-
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to clean up and lube the slide collars (not the pins) and had no trouble with the rear collar, but the forward pin with the nut on it will NOT budge from the caliper housing. HOW DOES THIS THING COME OUT???

right now, it's soaking in penetrating oil waiting for a magic trick

EXtreme-
10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
to clarify, I got the holding bracket off ok....its the actual pin inside the housing that's stuck

matt250r21
10-16-2007, 06:25 PM
It sounds to me like the pin has rusted solid to the steel collar that is inside the aluminum caliper. I have had this happen before, when I finally did get the pin out it pulled the collar out of the caliper as well. That caliper was basicly junk after that. I was able to get the collar off the pin with lots of heat and lube and then pushed the collar back into the caliper, but everything was lose after, even with a new slider pin. Best bet is to let it sit with a good lube, something like PB Break, use a little heat and hope that the pin comes out without pulling the collar out.

Rich250RRacer
10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Convert it over to 450 stuff, you'll be much happier.

redrooster310r
10-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by EXtreme-
I'm trying to clean up and lube the slide collars (not the pins) and had no trouble with the rear collar, but the forward pin with the nut on it will NOT budge from the caliper housing. HOW DOES THIS THING COME OUT???

right now, it's soaking in penetrating oil waiting for a magic trick ive heard of compressed air pushes em out but i think ur rust locked.... try soaking it in oil

mineralgrey01gt
10-17-2007, 11:15 AM
lots of lube and some heat will do the trick. My front motor mount bolt got stuck from the previous owner letting it sit for months with water and sand inside of it. Took me and my brother about 4 hours but we finally got it out

EXtreme-
10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
well, it came out, but the same way that Matt's did.....the whole enchalada. Might try to cut off some of the sleeve and bore the housing a fuzz bigger to makeshift my own pivot bolt area. Otherwise, its a trip to ebay for used, the honda shop for new, or 450 setup. I think I'll try some machine work first and attempt to salvage it.