PDA

View Full Version : compression pistons

Hondamaster5505
10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, we went riding on Saturday, and my dad said im good enough of a rider that he'll start helping me pay for mods.

I was gonna go with a 11.1/1 compression piston first. Then cam.
I was wondering what hp gains im looking at with just the piston, and how much they help.
Thanks

gcart2
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
im gussing you ride a lot so dont listen to all the ppl who say "bore it man you will be able to beat 450's!!!" thats bs. i can keep up with 450's with no bore. hi comp piston exhaust good/correct jets foam filter and a cam will turn that thing into a whole different bike. and good thing abot doing this is it is cheap... in the 300-400 area. especialy if you do it yourself.

Hondamaster5505
10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
im gussing you ride a lot so dont listen to all the ppl who say "bore it man you will be able to beat 450's!!!" thats bs. i can keep up with 450's with no bore. hi comp piston exhaust good/correct jets foam filter and a cam will turn that thing into a whole different bike. and good thing abot doing this is it is cheap... in the 300-400 area. especialy if you do it yourself.

Well of course, we are pretty knowledged when it comes to motors and building. I just dont have the money to bore it out and everything.

Since the 400ex's are so low compression stock, i figured i would get a comkpression piston with cam. I just wanna know how much extra hp the piston makes alone, being compression=hp.

Im not expecting to beat any 450's with that setup, trust me. I rode my fathers friends yfz, and that thing is crazy. My dads shee is still faster though :blah:

XXXRACER165
10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I can keep up with 450's with no bore. Thats bs.

Hondamaster5505
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
no, his yfz isnt stock. He has pipe system, cam mod, and more im not quite sure about. Its making about 45hp, so a bike like yours at 42 would be very competable. And mine the way it is, aint no way gonna keep up with his. i rode it. But ill be there soon ;}

And as far as my riding skills go, im pretty damn good for a 14yr old. Hence the reason for father willin to help with mods.

Does anyone know the hp increase at all with a comp. piston???

gcart2
10-15-2007, 06:03 PM
yea i h8 boring motors... they were not meant to be bored. just build it right and it will be just as fast. i cant tell you exact hp or anything but i cant tell you its a night and day difference with ehat i have (sig). i definitely have a higher expectations sicne i built mine.

zrpilot
10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I agree with the general concept of these posts, that being 6, 16, or 26 extra CCs don't result in a significant gain in power. However there is a reason to bore and that is to start out cylinder/piston combo that is to size and, after break-in, properly seated.

Just slapping a new piston in an old bore MAY not accomplish either.

Hey if DAD is paying..... why not bore?

Or better yet he could pay for it ALL!!!!
Polish/port
new valve seals
HD head studs
Sparks exhaust
450R carb
Stage 2 cam
HD cam chain
Open air box
uni air filter

all this should get 40+ HP

Hondamaster5505
10-15-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah, and its nice to be mechanically inclined like myself when owning a quad. That way you can end up saving hundreds from dealer costs to install the stuff.

I'd much rather do some labor than spend $300 or more to have someone else install/tune stuff. Thats b/s.

I will admit, they did a nice job on my dads banshee, but it was done before my dad got it.