PDA

View Full Version : Is It Hard To Change An Axle And Bearing House?

10-31-2001, 08:27 AM
I JUST GOT A LONESTAR AXLE AND LONESTAR BEARING CARRIER, BUT ITS KIND OF EXPENSIVE TO TAKE IT SOMEHWERE TO GET INSTALLED, IS IT HARD TO DO IT YOURSELF, PLEASE HELP, THNX. ALSO, WHICH DOES THE LOCK NUT COME OFF, COUNTER CLOCKWISE OR CLOCKWISE, THNX

10-31-2001, 08:45 AM
If your standing behind your quad and looking at the 2 axle nuts,,the skinny nut on your left will turn down, to loosen. So if you put a big wrench on that skinny nut,,pull the wrench toward you if your sitting down,,it has loctite on it so it will be tough to break loose. Screw the axle nuts out toward the rotor untill you see the clip ring on your axle,,remove this clip to slide the axle nut and rotor carrier off. Replacing an axle is not to tough you can handle that,,but I've never replaced the carrier but it should slid out of the swingarm,,maybe tap it with a rubber mallet to get it loose or pound it out with a hammer if ya got a new one,,just be carefull not to damage the swingarm. And make sure to grease everything up real good,,and use loctite again when you put your axle nuts back on,,or may I suggest getting a locking axlenut,,I bought one from speedracing for like $40,,,and I never have problems with the axle coming loose...good luck,,you can handle this..

10-31-2001, 09:41 AM
THNX RICO!!!!

riz400
10-31-2001, 10:58 AM
Very easy. Hardest part is breaking the axle nut loose. It is very important that you get the right size wrenches. I wish I knew the exact sizes off the top of my head. Once the axle slides out the carrier is very, very easy to swap out. Make sure you grease the bearings before you install it and grease it often. I would say maybe after every 15-20 hours of riding to protect your investment. The first time is always the toughest.

Later

rydes400ex
10-31-2001, 02:44 PM
tip: use a torch to melt the locktite on the old nut to make it easier to break loose, nuts are 45 and 56mm.