PDA

View Full Version : Getting an 86 250r this friday...couple questions

trx250r_ryder
10-15-2007, 06:12 AM
I am trading my 04 LTZ400 for a 86 250r this Friday. The R is mostly stock with the exception of .20 over bore, and a FMF pipe and silencer. My Z400 has a JE prolite piston with a full FMF header/exhuast, jet kit...etc. How much faster will the R be and what differences am I going to notice between the 2...ie...handling, power. I ride alot of tails, some open, some tight. I know the R is geared lower for tight trails which will help. I know there is a vast knowledge about R's on here and alot of people have swtiched from a Z. Any info is greatly appreciated.

redrooster310r
10-15-2007, 07:26 AM
yo .. r 's rule. youll be like 50 lbs lighter than the 4 poke. handles like a dream . even in stock. maybe bumping up comp. will give a bit more bite . one thing to remeber when on a 2 stroke if you ride it a little slo in trails u must clean it outrev it up ... i have a real hard time riding slo... nothing like a 2 stroke pwoerband...... like a turbo hit. you should be faster off the line .... not sure bout the rest... never had a stock jug.

trx250r_ryder
10-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I know that 2 strokes hit like a turbo, but ive also heard that you can change that by using a power vavle for a more gradual powerband. If I am wrong, please correct me. I want to learn all that I can about 2 strokes. I am also restoring a 75 Elsinore MT 250 at the moment so any information is great. Thanks again.

schaefer
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
i have 2 mt250's, one in boxes...need any parts? lost interest in the second.

beobe99
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I think youll be real pleased with the R. The power delivery IS similiar to turbo. When discribing the power delivery of a 2-stroke and 4stroke to my car buddies I always say 4-strokes are more like a supercharged feeling and 2-stroke turbo. Although most of the newer 4strokes (450's) power bands are now all over the rpm range (which is great) but im still hooked on 2-stroke.

When you get the R to the woods if it seems to nutty for the trails power delivery wise a powervalve top end will smooth out that PUNCH (its not a cheap set up though). also look into different pipe set ups, reed spacers, weighted flywheel, tire size and gearing. You can realy customize the R to your liking..

Check out everything2stroke.com

and i HEARD macdizzys web site is good but you have to pay last time i tried to join.

howstuffworks.com to better understand 2-stroke if you need (just search 2-stroke.. theres a pretty cool animation of how it works there)

post some pics when you get it too!