PDA

View Full Version : Pappy,Espo,QuadJunkies,WVSPeedFreak, and all other photo junkies.....

troyleepred719
10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
I just got news from the doctor that I am out of work for at least 2 months. Between that and looking for a new job, I am in need of something to do. I have chosen that with 300 acres, and a MX track down the road, Photography might be the best bet. I have a little experince with photo editing software, and am looking for a cheap camera. I have chosen the FujiFIlm s series. 7 mp... is this a good choice? what are the things i should look for, I have 200 dollars, and want a digital camera, not a 35mm, but at least good enough on a amateur level. If anything else, do any of you have any thing used... i would be interested, if not, what do you guys think of my choice?

QuadJunkies
10-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by troyleepred719
I just got news from the doctor that I am out of work for at least 2 months. Between that and looking for a new job, I am in need of something to do. I have chosen that with 300 acres, and a MX track down the road, Photography might be the best bet. I have a little experince with photo editing software, and am looking for a cheap camera. I have chosen the FujiFIlm s series. 7 mp... is this a good choice? what are the things i should look for, I have 200 dollars, and want a digital camera, not a 35mm, but at least good enough on a amateur level. If anything else, do any of you have any thing used... i would be interested, if not, what do you guys think of my choice?
I am not familiar with the Fuji, so Im not much help there .:(
Just keep in mind that if your wanting to shoot MX racing and want to have good quality high speed pics,Im not sure your going to find that in a 200.00 camera-I know I couldnt.
Is this a point and shoot camera?
Ill never go back to one of those again. :p

I do know that money doesnt grow on trees and camera equipment is not cheap.
Maybe someone will be along soon to chime in and give you some useful information .
Have fun with the new camera :)

QuadJunkies
10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Is this the camera?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/A700-specsview-001.jpg

CannondaleRider
10-15-2007, 02:14 AM
Like Tina said, you'll be hard pressed to find a high quality camera in your price range.

BUT, if you bump up your price range a bit, look into a Canon Powershot S3 IS....it's decent when it comes to adjustments. Not quite SLR level, but it's much better then anything in the "Point and shoot" realm.

This is what I used when I was doing a bit of photography, and I've been known to take a few somewhat decent pictures.....These shots are nowhere even close to the famous photographers of this site, but it gives you an idea...this was my second time out with this camera.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/TheFX440king/SlideShow119Medium.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/TheFX440king/SlideShow118Medium.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/TheFX440king/SlideShow18Medium.jpg

Pappy
10-15-2007, 03:36 AM
I think you dont have any concept of what it takes to actually make good photographs:p

You dont run to sears and buy the tool kit thats on sale and turn wrenches for a living, or buy a pocket knife and do surgery:p

Do buy a camera and learn, but dont think you will be rolling in dough...thats just the hard facts.

MOFO
10-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Is this the camera?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/A700-specsview-001.jpg

If it is, I bought this camera for work photo's - I needed a very cheap P&S (not using my personal stuff)... I can honestly say this camera has taken the worst photo's I've ever seen.

I have an older Nikon Coolpix 3.2 MP P&S and it takes 10x better pictures than the camera above.

troyleepred719
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5634162

Nope thats the one, the reason I am interested in this camera is that my gf's mother has it, and it has decent quality of picture.

Pappy, I am aware of the work and money it takes to come to the point that you , QJ, and the others. I meant no offense by asking, Im just looking for a decent camera to get some pics to play with on the computer. Im gonna be out of work, so i dont want to spend all my money that i have to save. This camera just seems to be right for what i need it for.

Exrider434
10-15-2007, 08:20 AM
if you go to kodak, you can get decent cameras that have been reconditioned for like 150-200 bucks. By reconditioned i mean they were broken then fixed by kodak.

troyleepred719
10-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
if you go to kodak, you can get decent cameras that have been reconditioned for like 150-200 bucks. By reconditioned i mean they were broken then fixed by kodak.

where do i go for this? thanks for the info...

QuadJunkies
10-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by troyleepred719
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5634162

Nope thats the one, the reason I am interested in this camera is that my gf's mother has it, and it has decent quality of picture.

Pappy, I am aware of the work and money it takes to come to the point that you , QJ, and the others. I meant no offense by asking, Im just looking for a decent camera to get some pics to play with on the computer. Im gonna be out of work, so i dont want to spend all my money that i have to save. This camera just seems to be right for what i need it for.

I actually havent REALLY spent that much. I bought one of the cheapest SLR's ,its the lense that was the investment. I cant wait for the day when I can get more lenses and see how each one of them work!:)
I cant afford a ton of goodies either, so what do is save and get one thing at a time and just play ALOT with it .
I guess it all depends on what you really want out of a camera,but if you want to shoot any kind of motorsports with that kind of a camera, I think you will be dissapointed and will feel like you just wasted 200.00 bones.
For 400.00 more,you could get a rebel . Thats what I have and its a pretty basic, fun and user freindly camera.
From what Ive read that you posted, that camera is not what you need for what your aiming for . ;) you will not like the delays a point and shoot has either for action shots.

Pappy, whats the D50 going for these days? I ALMOST bought that camera.

Pappy
10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
d50's can be had for $300 on ebay and would be a far better unit then what he is looking at. It has a better sensor then the d80, better metering then the d70s and is equal or superior to the canon rebel line. it will also use any nikkor lens since the dawn of time.

you did not insult me, just keep in mind that making money with photography has very little to do with actual photography. there are plenty of people with decent gear that still take sucky pics and there are folks with crappy gear that take better pics then those with fancy gear....however with digital there is a minimum requirement especially when you want to shoot atvs or bikes.

i have well over $20k in gear....and i can still take a crappy picture...lol if more folks would actually learn basic photography before they spend a bunch of money, life would be alot easier. you will know when your equipment is limiting you!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2271/1566238705_08664fc036_b.jpg

wvspeedfreak
10-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I also think you will be dissapointed with that camera for action photography.I know you said you only had $200 to spend but I think you will be alot happier saving up and getting a DSLR.Then you have tons of lens options and just a better overall camera too.
As far as making money doing photography,I will leave those questions to Pappy and Tina.I do it solely for fun and have never tried to made a dime doing it.It is just a hobby for me.

Exrider434
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
My dad just bought a Kodak z740? i think reconditioned for somewhere in that price range i posted before.http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/4177&pq-locale=en_US

troyleepred719
10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I also think you will be dissapointed with that camera for action photography.I know you said you only had $200 to spend but I think you will be alot happier saving up and getting a DSLR.Then you have tons of lens options and just a better overall camera too.
As far as making money doing photography,I will leave those questions to Pappy and Tina.I do it solely for fun and have never tried to made a dime doing it.It is just a hobby for me.

I realize where i went wrong. Being that I am horrible with words, I find that it may have been easy for me to screw up what I was saying. I have an amateur track down the road, which I would go there just to play around, nothin for money, I will leave that up to you pros on here. I am looking for something amateur but not complicated, I may see if i can just get a rebel, or maybe on a used one somewhere, something that will be ok quality as opposed to my choice. Otherwise I will be just playing around to get some shots to play with my photshop type program.

QuadJunkies
10-15-2007, 12:00 PM
I cannot wait until I can upgrade..
My photo sizes for photo submissions are lacking even in largest format. I also want something thats fully manual,mine is not.