PDA

View Full Version : Moving Back to AZ, Gotta find a Job. Wrote up my resume. What do you think.

Groves187
10-14-2007, 08:55 AM
This is not my final copy. Just want your opinions on it befor I make my last copy and send it out to a few places.

Nick Groves

401 Bowling Ave

Detroit Lakes MN, 56501

(218) 329-5768

Nickgroves187@hotmail.com

Objective

My objective is to secure a job in a successful company building and repairing Tooling, Such as Dies and weld fixtures.

Education

I went threw and completed a Year and a half Tool and Die assembly and manual machining program. Finished September of 2007.

Related Experience

I have two years of manual machining experience.

I have one year of Precision grinding experience. Grinding within .0001 of an Inch. Angles, Shear, radiuses, etc etc.

I have experience Drawing in Gibbs Cam CNC programming Software, And have minimal programming experience using Gibbs Cam.

I have one year of CNC experience. replacing tools with correct offsets and altering programs.

I can read Dial Calipers, Digital Calipers, Vernier Calipers, Micrometers, and Depth Micrometers.

Employment History

Shop Hand, MGK Welding. Pelican Rapids MN 2004-2005

Tool room Machinist, BTD manufacturing. Detroit Lakes MN 2005-2006

Precision Grinding, BTD manufacturing. Detroit Lakes MN 2006-Present.

Other comments

I am Self motivated.

Enjoy working on,building, and racing ATVs. My current project is a full LoneStar Racing YZ400F Hybrid.

I like learning new things and am a very fast learner.

killroy
10-14-2007, 03:22 PM
pretty good. i like to keep my resumes simple too and usually the people who read them appreciate it I think

yellowzo3
10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure if you just typed this up real quick for us or if this is the real thing and your just going to copy and paste it. But if you want to make the best impression possible make sure your spelling is 100% correct and all grammar is right also. When you print out your resume, you should also use high quality paper. (May seem stupid but believe it or not it does make a difference from what we've learned in college about writing resumes.) If you have any references they can contact put those down also. I'm pretty sure you can also put down "references available upon request" in that section if you don't want to give the information out. I'm not sure if you should put down "etc, etc." but I'm not exactly sure what all is contained in precision grinding so maybe its perfectly fine to leave it like that :p ...anyway yeah just make sure you take your time and answer your phone if they call! Something else we learned is to have a normal ringtone and voicemail during the time your waiting for calls from companies. They dont want to call your phone and hear 50 cent rapping and a voicemail no one can understand. It just helps you seem more professional and mature. Hope that helps out a little and it looks like you have the rest covered! I'm no professional at writing resumes but I tried to help the best I could.

flyin#5
10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
where in az are you moving to?

beaker1214
10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Im not sure but I think you need to replace threw to through

Toadz400
10-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Definitely make sure your spelling and grammar is correct. I noticed at least one mistake in that resume, but of course that's not your final. Make sure to have several people read over it and make sure everything is 100% correct.

Groves187
10-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
where in az are you moving to?

I'm not 100% sure yet, I lived in arizona for about 7 years and thats were all my family is. I am gonna send my Resume into LSR and a few other places and then go from there. If it comes down to it i might stay with my brother in Mesa. Why do you ask?

Groves187
10-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Could you guys point out my mistakes?

Thanks, Nick

sly400ex
10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Honestly, you should think about paying someone to revise your entire resume. I'm not trying to bash on you, but that resume is far from professional in my eyes.

Now days, you're not even suppose to start off with an "objective". Way too many "I"'s. It just doesn't present itself well.

There are places that you can find on the net, in which they will call you up and ask details pertaining to the field that you wish to work in. From there, they will write up a very professional and presentable resume for you. I think it costs around $100-150 for the service. May sound a little steep if you're hard up on cash, but it could also lead you to a better paying job much quicker! Just food for thought.
:)

cdrookie
10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
as a fellow machinist, i'll help you out.

1: put your contact info in the header(top of page)

2: list your skills ie: precision grinding(i've done it and can honestly say many folks can't!), instrument reading, tight tolerance work, blueprint reading and interpretation(sp?), machines capable of using(manufacturer name and nc/cnc/manual), machanical ability, etc...

3: work experience in decending order

4: schooling

put references on another sheet of paper
try to keep the resume on 1 sheet of paper
only put down info that pertains to the work you're looking for
and remember, companies are looking for people with the ability to learn, you don't have to know everything, and don't lie!!! an honest "I don't know" isn't a bad answer if you make it to an interview.

i think we're still hiring if you'd like travel work. you can live anywhere in the 48 as long as you're within 2 hrs of a major airport. pm me if your interested.

KB Motorsports
10-15-2007, 08:39 AM
This is not my final copy. Just want your opinions on it befor I make my last copy and send it out to a few places.

Nick Groves

401 Bowling Ave

Detroit Lakes MN, 56501

(218) 329-5768

Nickgroves187@hotmail.com

Objective

Secure a job in a successful company that focuses on building and repairing tooling.

Education

Completed Tool , Die assembly, and manual machining program in 2007

Related Experience

One year of Precision grinding experience(where)

One year of CNC experience (where)

Two years of manual machining experience.

Familiar with drawing in Gibbs Cam CNC programming Software and Programming Experience.

Educated to read Dial Calipers, Digital Calipers, Vernier Calipers, Micrometers, and Depth Micrometers.

Employment History

Shop Hand, MGK Welding. Pelican Rapids MN 2004-2005

Tool room Machinist, BTD manufacturing. Detroit Lakes MN 2005-2006

Precision Grinding, BTD manufacturing. Detroit Lakes MN 2006-Present.

Other comments

I am Self motivated. ( I would delete this) Doesn’t look like you stay at one place over a year from the above information.

Enjoy working on,building, and racing ATVs. My current project is a full LoneStar Racing YZ400F Hybrid.
(I would delete the racing part)
I’m also not sure if the company your applying for would even know what a YZ400 is.

KB Motorsports
10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm just trying to help you out.. I took maybe 3 mins of my time to help you.. If you need further help send me a private message and I will redo your whole resume for free if I have time today.

Good luck !

wilkin250r
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
You should never use "I" in a resume.

Forget the objective. It was common practice many years ago, but it's overdone. They all say the same thing "Objective: To work in good company to blah blah blah." Yeah, we know.

Instead of an objective, you would be much better served by using that space to expand your education, list some of the details that your program focused on.

Don't list the calipers and instruments you know how to use. It's redundant, any machinist in the world knows how to use calipers and micometers. That's like a race car driver saying "I know how to drive a stickshift". Yeah, we know.

Forget the "Other Comments" section. Everybody in the world is self-motivated, and a fast learner, or so they would say.

Expand on your employment history. Along with WHERE you worked, give a brief description of WHAT you did. Like tool room machinist, what kind of tools did you make? Large or small tools? Did you work with any metals that might be a little out-of-the-ordinary, like copper? Any welding experience in any of your jobs? What kind of INDUSTRIES did you work in? Aerospace, automotive? Are you familiar with any regulations involved with those industries?

gncc025
10-16-2007, 02:04 AM
heres the main section of my resume. i left out all my personal stuff. im afraid mine may be a bit too lenghty. maybe this can help somehow