PDA

View Full Version : motor help

the fat kid
10-13-2007, 10:59 PM
alright fellas get out teh cup o coffe this is a long one.... and sorry for the lack of punctuation in advance

alright 03 z400 stock everything, last time it was ridden water got in the motor via the tail pipe and i guess my friend didnt know it and rode on it for a good hour or so, motor stopped all the sudden and i had to tow him back, while i was pulling him if the dropped it into gear it would run until clutch was pulled in or i quit pulling, so he really didnt have an interest in fixing it so i bought it for 500 bux, now present day, new plug in it new fuel, new gas,cleaned out hte carb very well. checked the valve clearences at tdc, theyre in spec according to the posts on here, but i think it maybe a timing issue, which brings my question. the horizontal lines on the cams are supposed to be even with the edge of the case when the motor is tdc? if so im off timing i think, if not idk, also i took out teh cam tensioner bolt and spring and the chain was still fairly tight, also dont know if thats normal, you can wiggle the chain a lil but not reall as loose as i would think it sould be idk ill leave it at that for now till tomorrow. i know i need a manual btu i kinda was messing around the garage today and decided to break it open and check clearences, any help is GREATLY appreciated thanks in advance.

oh ps got the air fuel screw set to 3 out, im in texas idk the elevation and its round 80 to 90 degrees still here....

thanks again.

quad97
10-18-2007, 12:32 AM
the marks should be flush with edge of the head and you have to take the tensioner all the way out to loosen the chain, you will see why when you take it out. I would be worried about the water causing a lubrication problem running that long. do a compression test on the motor.

the fat kid
10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
yeah got into it and the timing was a lil off and i need a new cam chain, and also my valve specs are off so ill need to shim it but i figure ill just wait a coulple monts and do the kibble whites drz springs and gasket, with a d.i.d chain... thanks.