PDA

View Full Version : question about kfx90 and 6yr old... to much?

bignehls
10-13-2007, 10:47 PM
been doing a lot of research on mini atvs and learned to stay away from chinese crap so i'm back to name brand stuff. Heres my problem, really experienced 6yr old dirtbike rider and 8 yr old daughter need atv big enough to go thru sand dunes and up hills. I know the 50cc is just to underpowered so i need to know is the 90 just to much power or just to big (controls and lever) for 6 yr old.
i'm looking to buy new and the closest dealer is suk and kaw. so my choses are limited. have guy selling kymco about 40 miles away so that might be option.

any help or opinions wuold be great!!

thanks

LT80
10-14-2007, 08:04 AM
If the kids have expierience, the 90 will be fine.
You'd be much farther ahead to find a LT80 (2 stroke) for the sand.
The Kymco's are rock solid machines as well.
The Zuki 90 has no aftermarket goodies that I know of.
The Kymco does have goodies available. :)

bignehls
10-14-2007, 09:38 AM
lt80 thanks for the response...
i have had my eye out for used lt80 but no luck. hell i have been looking for anything used and in good shape but nothing worth while around here anyways.

i"m leanining towards kymco cause i understand they are the same thing as kawasaki but a little cheaper and have found a few afters for it.

i will snatch up any lt80 i come across even if i buy a new machine now.

one more thing is the 80 about the same size as the 90's and is it cvt.

thanks again.

LT80
10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Approx the same size and both CVT's.

My bad,,LOL..I mis read a lil. The KFX80 was a Zuki. You mentioned the KFX90 which you already know is a Kymco.
We bump up the cc's, put a different head on, pipe, lil clutching and they perform well.

Shoulda wore my glasses..LMAO. :)

bulldogfallon
10-20-2007, 12:29 AM
The DRR ATV lineup is worth a look at

Lots of power....their 50 will run up against on those 90cc 4 strokes in stock form....41" to 44" wide...super stable....real suspension and lots of power....

Great bikes, but even better people supporting them

PM me if you need anymore info about the brand

Figured I would mention DRR since your rider may be used to the 2 stroke power

Good luck either way!!

Bryar Riley
10-21-2007, 04:23 PM
sent you a PM

FUTheman
10-22-2007, 04:38 AM
Are the Suzuki and Kawa minis still the same machine? If they are different, who makes the Suzuki 90?

LT80
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Suzuki makes the Z90.
I asked the Zuki dude at the races and he said it's a Zuki motor (not a polaris/eton/etc).
I haven't got one on my bench yet so I can't say 100% tho.

bowtiedmax
11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
The Kymco is a very reliable machine and can be pretty fast with some goody go fast parts. And Jack is correct that Kaw is made by Kymco along with Artic cat. The really good thing about Kaw, Artic and Kymco all being one is that plenty of parts are interchangable. And they are all 4-strokes that are going to be the way of the future (really fast).
Yes the DRR's are good machies. But 4 strokes are going to be the only thing out there. But as always, just get what you seem to like the best.

bulldogfallon
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Until the 4 strokes are the only choice (years away) then if you want to win and not break the bank then a 2 stroke is really the only option....

4 strokes just can't compete in stock form......until a manufacturer comes out with a fast 4 stroke they will not be taken seriously in stock form.

I bet you will see a 4 stroke DRR that is race ready in the near future.....hint hint

Phugg
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I WISH we had all the options you guys have. California is a complete and utter mess. The only thing available in the state are 4 strokes. That is if you want to regester it and be legal. We bought something from a "Major Four Wheel place" , and could not even get close to getting it registered. Took it to DMV with what papers they gave us (shipping orders) and they laughed at us. We got in touch with the companies lawyer and were refunded that day with a little extra for our trouble. After that we went to Kawasaki 50 and have been ok with it till now. Our daughter is 8 and wieghs 45 lbs ... so she and the quad do nothing but bounce around together. We have a deposit on the new Can Am 90x and are just waiting for them to get to Calif. That is about the only thing we can get out west that will have a suspension and four stroke. So we are going to pay aprox $4k (after alll the extra charges) for her to have a quad that will work for many years. We dont race and have no intentions to (there really isnt any support out west for it, and what there is ... well 8hr drive is NOT ok with us).

Any 90 should do fine , depending on the size of you kids. Just remember that YOU have control of the throttle , via knowledge and that lovely screw.

greenmachine70
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Kymco makes the Kaw, AC & Zuki 90's now. Save money on the Kymco. You can get a Kymco 90, clip the green wire on the cdi rev limiter & remove the spacer in the clutch & it will go 40mph.

I used to be a Kymco dealer & my wife rides a Mongoose 250. They make great machines, but my son rides a new DRX90. Night & day difference & much more stable. Not to mention the dual a-arms & full disc brakes.
Get what fits you & your budget the best, but the DRX is hands down a better machine out of the box. Although the Kymco is easily modified without spending money as some have mentioned.

As for an lt80, you will spend $150 immediately just to make it stable. They are so narrow i wouldnt let my kids get on one without wheel spacers at least.