PDA

View Full Version : yfz startering problems. tips?

pro-rider46
10-13-2007, 10:44 PM
hey my buddy has a 05 yfz, and it is really hard to start, sometimes its starts great, but now its sucks cause its getting cold. i have heard that the yfzs have had starting issues, is there anything you guys do to fix the starting issues, i have heard that acouple guys use a cbr 600 battery, but i dont see that making it start better. oh and its lights are getting 75w's and blowing the bulds. will that have anything to do with it.

Ride1Rob
10-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm thinking it may be your jetting. If the pilot jet on these bikes are off it makes the bike a little hard to start. The more you have to push the starter button to get it started the more that lil battery loses it's charge. When you hit the starter button that bike should fire up INSTANTLY with no hesitation. If it's hesitating you need to adjust your fuel airscrew or focus on the pilot jet. If any mods are done to the bike you probably need to go to a bigger pilot (45,48)

jshtex
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey my buddy has a 05 yfz, and it is really hard to start, sometimes its starts great, but now its sucks cause its getting cold. i have heard that the yfzs have had starting issues, is there anything you guys do to fix the starting issues, i have heard that acouple guys use a cbr 600 battery, but i dont see that making it start better. oh and its lights are getting 75w's and blowing the bulds. will that have anything to do with it.

Ok, we run the bigger battery (Yusa ytz10s I think) and it does help starting. It has more than twice the CCA (cold cranking amps) of the stocker.

But that may not be the problem your having. To check the voltage to the headlights you test for AC voltage not watts. Heck I have no idea how many watts they should be but the voltage regulator / rectifier should hold the AC voltage down below 15v. Ours blew a set of PIAA bulbs I bought to run in a night race and when I checked it if you reved the bike it would hit 30+v ac at the connectors for the lights. To fix mine I replace the regulator / rectifier and the stator (I had another issue with the stator). And like I said the voltage is AC not DC. The stator puts out AC and the lights run off that (thru the regulator). Then the rectifier part of the requlator turns the other half of the AC coming off the Stator to DC and regulates it down to charge the battery and run the ignition.

Are you having electrical issues? IDK but hopefully that will put you on the right track if you are.

But the first thing to check is the valve adjustment. When the get tight (thats what happens when they wear) it will become harder to start. If your not sure they are in spec that would be a good thing to do anyway.