PDA

View Full Version : f150 4.6l mods?

450raider
10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
ok sorry for starting another post on the subject but i tried to dig and bump the old one up but simply couldnt find it, now ive got a 04 f150 with the 4.6 in it (believe me had i known there were 2 available id have the 5.4) but i didnt (and while it may not be worth much to some folks, my trusty ford is oozing with sentimental value) so now im thinkin is the 4.6 the same thing they put in mustangs? well they can make mad mods for stangs so couldnt i get some cams or somethin for a mustang but put it in the f150 and itll all be good?

thanks for any info

troyleepred719
10-13-2007, 10:36 PM
you cant use mustang mods there 2 different motors, with the same displacement. my friend has the 4/6 stx, and a full exhaust, k n intake, and and edge evolution programmer.....with his 4.6 with poor tires, he can pull 291s on the truck pulls, and cant keep the tires on it....its a different truck

pro-rider46
10-13-2007, 10:48 PM
my brother had a 98 f one roosty with the 4.6 in it, and he put glass packs on it, and it was the best sounding truck i have ever heard, but thats just me, and it was nothing super dooper fast, but i liked it.

mineralgrey01gt
10-13-2007, 10:53 PM
the actual blocks and internals are the same but i believe the heads are a little different than the mustangs. I know they have completely different cams than the mustang GT's. Are they still 2v's? What year model is yours? But to answer your question. No, mustang GT mods will not fit that motor

450raider
10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
ok so i already got a volant cool air intake and flowmasters on it so all i would need to wake it up is a programmer? sounds like a plan what are some good ones? ill look up one of those edge evolution ones and start comparing prices.

mineralgrey01gt
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
only go with SCT. Dont go with that Hypertech crap or Diablo or anything like that. Seriously, SCT Xcal2's are perfect for a handheld tuner

troyleepred719
10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
only go with SCT. Dont go with that Hypertech crap or Diablo or anything like that. Seriously, SCT Xcal2's are perfect for a handheld tuner

I have the Evolution on my Silverado, and for the price you can tgo wrong. I would have gone with the SCT, but price to performance, couldnt go wrong with the Evolution.....

my friend has one on his 4.6, and can break both tires free on dry pavement..

project400ex19
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
try a super charger. Kenne Bell superchargers are suppose to be one of the best. Pro Chargers are nothing to brag about. But one is better than none...

Kickstarts-suck
10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by project400ex19
try a super charger. Kenne Bell superchargers are suppose to be one of the best. Pro Chargers are nothing to brag about. But one is better than none...

yea if you want to spend $5000

KXRida
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
as far as mods go, a modular 4.6 isn't the best engine to unleash horsepower from. Get a good intake, filter, exhaust w/ headers, and a tuner. If you really want to do the work, a set of cams may help you out, but fyi they are a ******. I just got done putting a set in my buddy's mustang. Similar engines but different heads as stated above. Yah modular motors don't accept mods as well as push rod motors do.

Ugh and to the statement above... what's wrong with a procharger. Their 2.2L isn't too shabby.

mineralgrey01gt
10-16-2007, 11:16 PM
yea a procharger can pump some serious power, dont know why you said they arent any good.

Also our motors love the spray. Its a cheap and easy mod, just got to be careful.

Another reason I said to go with SCT because if you ever really get into modding it, a lot of shops use SCT to tune with and will not tune a car with another tuner on the vehicle

KXRida
10-17-2007, 04:23 AM
yah the SCT tuner is probably the best IMO. I've had some experience with the diablo sport and it's junk.

400exrider707
10-17-2007, 05:51 AM
www.innovativediesel.com has the SCT X2 on sale now. I bought one for my 06 f250. SCT is the only way to go. Alot of diesel guys sell their other tuners to put on the SCT because it makes that much of a difference. SCT's tune transmissions too and a lot of the other ones dont.

KXRida
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
www.innovativediesel.com has the SCT X2 on sale now. I bought one for my 06 f250. SCT is the only way to go. Alot of diesel guys sell their other tuners to put on the SCT because it makes that much of a difference. SCT's tune transmissions too and a lot of the other ones dont.

Transmission wise all they really do is jack up the line pressure to the transmission giving it harder shifts.

LRD450R
10-17-2007, 08:09 PM
dude my budy bout a 1986 f-150 with a 5.0 mustang in it and it runds grate

project400ex19
10-17-2007, 08:15 PM
yea a procharger can pump some serious power, dont know why you said they arent any good.

Also our motors love the spray. Its a cheap and easy mod, just got to be careful.

Another reason I said to go with SCT because if you ever really get into modding it, a lot of shops use SCT to tune with and will not tune a car with another tuner on the vehicle

Pro chargers are not that impressive imo...they are much better than stock. but if I (hence the "I" part) ever put on a supercharger it definately would not be a pro charger unless I got it for really cheap. I know a guy that has a procharger on his 4.6 and don't get me wrong it turned that truck into a sweet little ride. but he's already had to rebuild the bearings and the housing has cracked and had to be welded...and now it's being taken off to put on a better supercharger that will push more psi.

KXRida
10-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Pro chargers are not that impressive imo...they are much better than stock. but if I (hence the "I" part) ever put on a supercharger it definately would not be a pro charger unless I got it for really cheap. I know a guy that has a procharger on his 4.6 and don't get me wrong it turned that truck into a sweet little ride. but he's already had to rebuild the bearings and the housing has cracked and had to be welded...and now it's being taken off to put on a better supercharger that will push more psi.

was he running an intercooler? What was all done to the bottom end? I'm guessing stock. That's what forced induction will do to a motor, especially a modular 4.6. They are known for weak bottom ends.

400exrider707
10-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
Transmission wise all they really do is jack up the line pressure to the transmission giving it harder shifts.

Not really. Some of the tunes lock the torque converter in every or individual gears. Also changes the actual shift points. I can also tune at what speed(mph) it shifts as well as the firmness of the shift.

mineralgrey01gt
10-18-2007, 09:40 AM

ive seen people push 650rwhp with a procharger DS1C or something like that and it handled it like a champ. Thats with around 19psi or so so I dont see why the one your talking about didnt work right. Did he even run the oil line for it? Sounds like it was low on oil and pretty much overheated.

Titanium
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
ive seen people push 650rwhp with a procharger DS1C or something like that and it handled it like a champ. Thats with around 19psi or so so I dont see why the one your talking about didnt work right. Did he even run the oil line for it? Sounds like it was low on oil and pretty much overheated.

i was just gettin ready to say that :eek:

KXRida
10-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Not really. Some of the tunes lock the torque converter in every or individual gears. Also changes the actual shift points. I can also tune at what speed(mph) it shifts as well as the firmness of the shift.

most aftermarket tuners will let you change shift points, but firmness wise, 95% of them just bump up the line pressure.

project400ex19
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
was he running an intercooler? What was all done to the bottom end? I'm guessing stock. That's what forced induction will do to a motor, especially a modular 4.6. They are known for weak bottom ends.

no intercooler that i remember, and stock internals. but still only like 5 psi. they have an engine and chassis dyno at there shop( In Mankato Minnesota) i cant remember if he has even ever dynoed it. He's got too many vehicles to remember.

project400ex19
10-18-2007, 09:14 PM

never over heated. and he's an auto mechanic...performance one at that. It's just a little parts runner that is snappy for as little as a truck it is. (97 reg cab. shortbox flareside) I thought it was snappy w/o the supercharger since the truck is so light.

I'm sure the 650 rwhp had a ton of internal engine mods. forged everything. I'm not saying a procharger doesn't make power. There are just better brands out there so I've heard from my brother and his boss who go to performance classes. They have an engine and chassis dyno and can program/dyno tune SCT programs.

Badmammajamma
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Glad to see there's a lot of Ford fans on this forum:)

mineralgrey01gt
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
of course it was forged internals lol, but that didnt have anything to do with the supercharger. I do agree 100% there is better ones out there, id much rather have a twin screw than a centrifugal s/c.

KXRida
10-19-2007, 05:48 AM
also, with 650rwhp, I'd look into a better transmission especially if it's an AODE. If I remember correctly they are only rated to be good till around 450 at the crank. Rear end wise (atleast in a mustang) an 8.8 will be suffice. Those rear ends surprised the hell out of me. They have handled 500hp and 35'' tires pretty well for the last 3 years in my brothers truck.

haha enough with all this modular stuff haha, get a push rod!

mineralgrey01gt
10-19-2007, 12:31 PM
it was on an 03/04 cobra so no auto's, but stock those auto's can hold more power than you think. A friend of mine has an auto 03 cobra that he swapped the auto into with 700rwhp and its holding like a champ :macho

KXRida
10-19-2007, 12:51 PM
it was on an 03/04 cobra so no auto's, but stock those auto's can hold more power than you think. A friend of mine has an auto 03 cobra that he swapped the auto into with 700rwhp and its holding like a champ :macho

Do cobra's run the standard AODE as the GT's or not? I'm not really sure. Never had to look into it. I figure you would know since you have a stang.

project400ex19
10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
also, with 650rwhp, I'd look into a better transmission especially if it's an AODE. If I remember correctly they are only rated to be good till around 450 at the crank. Rear end wise (atleast in a mustang) an 8.8 will be suffice. Those rear ends surprised the hell out of me. They have handled 500hp and 35'' tires pretty well for the last 3 years in my brothers truck.

haha enough with all this modular stuff haha, get a push rod!

Those 8.8's are a awesome little rear end. My bro just bought a 351 that he's dropping in his lifted 94 f-150, bye bye inline 6. I know it's getting bored but not positive to what size. Roush racing heads that have been ported and polished. not sure on a cam/pistons/crank...all that other stuff. he's picking up the engine. He's going to try and get at 400 hp and 400ft at the motor. I hope his tranny and 8.8 will handle that.

Do you guys think that 8.8 will handle that or should he just save himself a headache and drop in a Dana 60 or something else even?

mineralgrey01gt
10-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Do cobra's run the standard AODE as the GT's or not? I'm not really sure. Never had to look into it. I figure you would know since you have a stang.

yea they do, in fact some of them just swap trannys with someone. Its pretty much a direct swap

mineralgrey01gt
10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Those 8.8's are a awesome little rear end. My bro just bought a 351 that he's dropping in his lifted 94 f-150, bye bye inline 6. I know it's getting bored but not positive to what size. Roush racing heads that have been ported and polished. not sure on a cam/pistons/crank...all that other stuff. he's picking up the engine. He's going to try and get at 400 hp and 400ft at the motor. I hope his tranny and 8.8 will handle that.

Do you guys think that 8.8 will handle that or should he just save himself a headache and drop in a Dana 60 or something else even?

i wouldnt trust the 8.8 on that kind of power, the axles are kinda weak. Id tell him for $500 he can have a fully built rear end

KXRida
10-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Yea an 8.8 can handle it. My brother has a 351w stroked to a 396 in his ranger with 35'' tires and the 8.8 has been holding since, but it was just an axle to run until he swaps in his rockwells. BTW, a little trick if your brother really wants to look into it... I believe chrysler forged 360? rods, chevy oversized pistons, and a turned crank with a big stroke will be the equivilant to a 427. That's the cheap way to do it. Just do a search, I know all the exact parts are online somewhere.

Dana 60's are good, but it depends. I assume he well be off roading it since it's lifted, so a dana 60 will be great, but there are much cheap and just as good alternatives... such as a gm 14 bolt which are more abundant and cheaper than a D60. Also, chech around for some sterling axles. I have a 10.50 that will be going into my truck at some point in time. Just curious what front axle is he running up front? D44? Tranny wise is he going with a manual or auto? If he is going to have a somewhat high output motor, go straight to a small block bell housing c6. Skip the c4, they won't hold unless you build the total hell out of them, trust me. Manual wise you can run a t18 and t19 I believe. Transfercase wise he'll want to look into an NP205. BTW, have fun putting that ****** in a lifted truck. They are around 150ish dry. haha yah it's no fun picking it straight up and putting it into a ranger with 9" of lift and 35's haha.

btw, I am sure you can tell I'm into off roading haha. If you have any questions, feel free to send them. If I cannot answer them my brother can. Especially 351 questions and swap questions.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_85_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_82_full.jpg

way back when with the 33's
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_87_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_107_full.jpg

project400ex19
10-20-2007, 10:10 PM
well I talked to my bro today. It's going to be bored out to a 410, maybe that's stroked too...I'm no engine genius by any means. It's going to be a manual tranny. not sure on which one though. He is going to put in a new clutch to with stand that kind of power. It's his project so i don't know all the details. I wont even get to help with it since I moved so darn far away. :(

That's a killer Ranger, I like the fiberglass front fenders...I used to be kinda big into off-roading until the place we always went near Fairbault Minnesota got shut down. Now I live in western ND where there isn't many places for trucks. That's why i mainly ride tracks now on my quad too.

Thanks for all the info.

KXRida
10-21-2007, 06:57 AM
clutch wise, make sure he gets a very strong clutch! Right now, my brother is running a ZF transmission in his truck. It was once in an f350 tow truck, so it's no light weight tranny. He's blown second gear out of it twice. I can't find the pictures of his clutch because we redid our computer and all the pictures when with it, but, he pulled the clutch material out of the rivits and bent all the fingers in on the pressure plate. A built up 351 is a pretty decent power plant, so just make sure he puts a good driveline behind it.

Btw thanks for the compliments on the ranger. That's my brothers, but some day mine will have a v8 in it. I just don't have the time nor the money due to college, so after my loans are paid off, I'll drop in the 351 that I have down stairs, my HD D44, and sterling 10.50.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/truck.jpg

that's my ranger, but I just don't have time to do work to it anymore. I did just order a set of 35'' procomps, so they'll do a little better offroad, but I'm sure they'll be even worse on my weakass dana 28 front axles haha.