PDA

View Full Version : I need some suspension and axle help please

mastephan
10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, i just bought a '05 660 raptor se. And with my luck the first time i took it out i bent the axle at the mx track. SO my question is.. what should i do as far as a replacement axle? I was thinking about going with the extended durablue, which i think widening the stance would be sick. but what do i do with the front. Should i throw some spacers in the front for the time beinging until i can afford extended a-arms? Also is durablue a good axle to go with? Also does anyone have pics with raptors on wider axles and spacer/a-arm setups?

thanks in advance, Matt

Kickstarts-suck
10-13-2007, 08:21 PM
you could get offset front rims or flip the rims you have now.

250rmike
10-13-2007, 09:30 PM
you can get a adjustable axle like lonestar. it comes with spacers so you can run it stock length until you can get some a-arms and front suspension. also i wouldnt go with a durablue if you bent the stock axle that easy. they are known to break unless something has changed recently

04exking
10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Go with Lonestar thats pretty much the standard mx axle on the west coast.

CannondaleRider
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Don't run spacers or highly offset rims. Many people do it, but that puts a lot more strain on your balljoints. The leverage being put on them isn't what they are really designed for....and I would doubt that stock raptor balljoints would be very high quality.

Get an adjustable axle, and run it narrow until you can buy a good set of A-Arms.

svahle
10-16-2007, 07:14 AM
I like the LSR axles for strength. Their sprocket hubs seem to wear quicker than others. I'm told they have improved on this. It is no surprise that the aluminum sprocket hub splines wear quicker than the steel splines on the axle. Atleast they are replaceable and the splines on the axle hold up well.

I have also been impressed with some of the RPM axles. I also had a Team axle that was pretty stout.

svahle
10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Don't run spacers or highly offset rims. Many people do it, but that puts a lot more strain on your balljoints. The leverage being put on them isn't what they are really designed for....and I would doubt that stock raptor balljoints would be very high quality.

Get an adjustable axle, and run it narrow until you can buy a good set of A-Arms.

Your right! Don't run the spacers or highly offset rims. In addition to the stress issues, they also greatly increase the feedback. The quad will feel twitchy and every little bump will be felt. The bars will have more of a tendency to jerk around. It will not handle well and can be dangerous. I nearly broke a thumb because of feedback with 3/2 rims. Its tough to say what injury I would have sustained with 4/1 offset rims, but every little bit helps.

CannondaleRider
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by svahle
Your right! Don't run the spacers or highly offset rims. In addition to the stress issues, they also greatly increase the feedback. The quad will feel twitchy and every little bump will be felt. The bars will have more of a tendency to jerk around. It will not handle well and can be dangerous. I nearly broke a thumb because of feedback with 3/2 rims. Its tough to say what injury I would have sustained with 4/1 offset rims, but every little bit helps.

Yeah, kind of forgot to input that factor...

I'm currently running 3/2's....:( Really need some 4/1's for some of those square edges.....and a Precision Dampner, lol. I think I'm the only WORCS racer without a freakin stabilizer..

bwamos
10-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
also i wouldnt go with a durablue if you bent the stock axle that easy. they are known to break unless something has changed recently

Bah. I hear that all the time. But it is usually from people who cheap out and buy the "heavy duty" axle. I've known very few people who have snapped an Eliminator axle.

That being said, I would agree that LSR or RPM are definatly better axles.

Granted I have seen a lot more hub/spline issues on the LSR vs. the Durablue. But then again a LOT more people use the LSR. ;)

If money is an issue I hear G-Force is a good axle for the money.

250rmike
10-16-2007, 02:41 PM
of course you hear of all axles having problem again i have never used a durablue but back when i used to ride alot i heard of alot more broken durablue's than any other company but then again it could be that more people used durablues. back on topic i would still go with an adjustable axle would seem to suit you better