PDA

View Full Version : racing!

SiK^_^
10-13-2007, 02:56 PM
This may be a dumb question but i dont know the answer i recently got an 07 400ex and down the road i was thinking about racing it

1. what would it have to have to be race legal?

2. what is the difference between mx and xc ?

3. do 400's race with the 450's?

4. what are some good things to do on the quad for racing.

I just dont want to start putting money into it if i decide to try racing and have to get different parts than the aftermarket parts ive already bought!

10-13-2007, 03:05 PM
1) & 4)Nerf bars for sure, they will save you, make riding more comfortable, and if i'm not mistaking to race they require you to have them

SiK^_^
10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Ya im sorry i didnt post that earlier that is one thing i got when i first bought the 400 was the dg fatboys

XXXRACER165
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Mx has usually shorter tracks with big jumps, whoops, berms and braking bumps. Xc is usually in the woods with logs and tree stumps. There are some jumps but not as big. I race MX and yes in most cases you run with built 450's

tanner 222
10-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by SiK^_^
This may be a dumb question but i dont know the answer i recently got an 07 400ex and down the road i was thinking about racing it

I just dont want to start putting money into it if i decide to try racing and have to get different parts than the aftermarket parts ive already bought!

1. im pretty sure you need a tether cord to dont you ? i know you need one up here in canada and a couple of my buddies down in the states told me you needed one down there too. not sure tho.

2. X2 what XXXRACER165 said.

3. up here they have a junior class and pro class for racing. and you run what you have. i dont know what its like down there.

4. i raced my '07 400ex for a bit and if i were you i would first off widen it out. if you want to do a bit of motor work put a hotcam in it and do some porting and polishing. if not get a full system pipe. preferably dasa or rossier. they will give you the most power gain.

thats all i can help you out with. good luck man with your racing.

SiK^_^
10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
tanner 222

How you said widen it out first what does that all consist of just the a-arms? and i see most ppl go with +2 what does the widening actually help with turns?

tanner 222
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
tanner 222

How you said widen it out first what does that all consist of just the a-arms? and i see most ppl go with +2 what does the widening actually help with turns?

ya it would consist of the a-arms and axle. what i did on mine was bought a +2 +4 adjustable axle and instead of buying a-arms i flipped my front rims inside out so the bigger offset was on the outside. its kind of a cheap way to do it but it saves you a lot of money. yes it helps you a lot with turns. you'll be able to take the corners at faster speeds.

honda8&3
10-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Tether Kill switch

XC- GNCC HARE SCRAMBLE ect...

MX- Motocross/ set of jumps/obstacles in a track

Yes

Nerf bars for both.
XC- Nerf bars, skid plates (.190 and up) bumper.
MX-Nerf bars, shocks, new thicker wheels (.190) and new MX tires

honda8&3
10-13-2007, 06:26 PM
tanner 222

Well normally you can buy kits for widening. I'd say go with HOUSER Racing a arms. Cheap but quality a arms. And try TCS shocks. Wider axle too, G Force makes a quality cheaper axle that is adjustable. Or go with ab LSR or Team Industries, all IMO.;)

Ruby Soho
10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
mx is a groomed track with big jumps, berms whoops etc.. fast paced.

you will race with 450's, but you can race different classes.

you NEED nerf bars and a tether killswitch.

the 400 is a good quad, but it needs quite a bit done to it to be able to compete with the 450's. heres a few things you might want to do:

suspension, cheapest and best bang for the buck is 450r shocks, send them to GT thunder or something have them set up for you. then get some a-arms, +2 is the way to go.

engine, your going to need to bore it to be as fast, not always the case but your gonna want the power in MX. i suggest a 416 bore with cams and all that good stuff that i wont get into right now.

other stuff, youll want smaller tires, different gearing and other stuff that just makes you comfortable.

flauge
10-13-2007, 07:17 PM
From what I gathered about mx, you'll probably need more motor work to keep up like Ruby said. I can tell you this about xc tho. Ive passed faster bikes and have been passed by slower bikes if that says anything.:cool: Either way Id say do suspension first;)

10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah XC you can have something that goes faster but the way you ride my not matter. I know that the way I ride my 400ex on stock suspension I keep up with the people all modded on 400's and 450's on this XC/GNCC type trail that I rode on last weekend. I learned to ride quick when I had a 250 and had to keep up with my brother and his friend on their 400's. But now that I have a 400 I keep up pretty good with stock suspension. For MX though I say the faster quad wins because of more use in acceleration.