PDA

View Full Version : gas leaking from drain hose when on reserve? And other probs

prancin400hp
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Have a technical question.
My four wheeler will not stay running. When the gas is turned onto reserve the gas will run out of the drain hose untill there is no gas left in the tank. When it is turned to ON it will fill up the float chamber but no gas runs out of the drain hose. When I start it, it runs until the gas is burned out of the float chamber and then cuts off. Also if it matters it revs really high too. This four wheeler has been sitting for about 2 years. Any ideas? Should I just go ahead and get a carb rebuild kit?

tim colston
10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Sounds to me you may hAVE A bunch of junk in there and a rebuild would be what i would suggest. good luck getting you machine running.

honda400exr
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I got a quad off a buddy for real cheap that had almost the same problem...it sat for a long time and hadn't been run. every once in a while when trying to start it would fire and then stop and not run. all I did was take the carb apart and cleaned everything really good and put fresh gas in the tank...when I got it all back together it fired right up. dunno if it's the same problem you've got but I'd start by cleaning the carb out real good.

Les Davis
10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I had the same problem on my YFZ and 450R. Apparently we got ahold of some bad gas while on a trip out of state. Sounds like your jets might be clogged. My suggestion is to drain any existing gas and pull the carb and clean it very thorough.

prancin400hp
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
should I buy any gaskets or can they be reused. I'll find out tonight when I take the carb off I guess. Im not sure if the gasket is like a paper gasket or a rubber one that could be reused.

honda400exr
10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
all of the seals in the carb are rubber so you can just reuse them. I think the only two places there are seals are on the top and on the float bowl.