PDA

View Full Version : DS450 or DS450X & why

maconu
10-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I originally was thinking of the ds450 and putting the $900 towards new shocks but after I dug a little you get a lot more than that with the x package. I am going to run Hipers (assuming mine will fit. It has 2 bolt patterns) so the x wheels I won't need but the cost of nerf bars, skid plates, handlebars w/ riser and front bumper make the extra ~$400 worth paying for wheels that I will set aside and the shocks.

The site advertises the shocks @ $555... Does anyone know if they perform well???

Howz bout you??

maconu
10-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Just incase someone hasn't found these yet. The Can-am/us site is up:
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-us

And the epic racing site is up:
http://www.epicracingproducts.com/

hasta

rollie
10-14-2007, 08:08 AM
i would get the X package, buy beadlocks and new tires, keep the stockers as back ups and get the shocks rebuilt, with high/low speed comp and all the other adjustments, once there redone they will preform just as good if not better then the aftermarket companys (Elka. Fox. PEP) of course only if you get them done by a reputable shock builder like derisi or C&D racing

Punk'd
10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
My plan is whatever comes in first!:blah:

spanky101
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
I highly doubt revalved X mode shocks will perform as good as fox or peps, or any other highly reputable company. They should perform great not that good imo

ride_red666
10-27-2007, 01:17 PM
well i rode a x demo quad on a track and the shocks are really good. they are as smooth as the elkas i had on the ex...

Icanam
10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
The literature says the weight without fuel to be 345. I wonder how much heavier the X version is? Nerfs, and skid plates, bigger bumper, reinforced rims (they appear to be the same rims, plus reinforcing rings welded on and black paint to hide the ugly welding), its got to add up to 15 pounds or so. If you need the stuff for racing, they got to be on there of course. But for a rec rider, it seems to be a lighter more fun vehicle in the Yellow skins. The difference in the shocks seems minimal (added low and hi speed damping, as opposed to one damping adjustment). And I would probably change the bars anyway.
If the X version isn't heavier, then that would mean the Yellow ones weigh only 330. That doesnt seem likely.
Comments...

maconu
10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I have been wondering what the weight diff between the 2 is. I also emailed epic racing and asked the wieghts of there front end at 50" wide and the billet version. They are offering fox shocks (EVOL no spring) which would make up the diff in weight (so they say). SO I am now thinking standard model and getting after market stuff.

If your not on the track I'd go with the standard version.

spanky101
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
if it was me i would just get the standard ds for myself. The x model has alot of nice features but alot of the stuff they offer is a little less then what i would put on my race quad. I mean i am all about heel gaurds but i hate stock plastic ones, and the bars are all personal preference for comfort. The skidplate looks pretty nice and the bumper is halfway decent looking. If you wanna buy a bike and not have to put stuff on it to race maybe a stock class or maybe just a little dabbling into racing i think it could be a great bike. What i dont understand is why they dont put killswitches on the bikes standard, as an industry im talkin now. Ktm made the step first now i hope more manufactures will follow

ThePhantomRider
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I've heard that if someone wants to make the quad wider and keep the weight very close to stock the wider arms plus Fox Floats will keep it close, not sure if it's exactly the same weight, but no more than a couple pounds difference. Even with Elkas or other traditional shocks the weight wouldn't be too much different, and in reality if you add the same arms and shocks to each quad, you end up with roughly the same weight change and that equals the same advantage with the DS...add 5 lbs to the DS and add 5 lbs to the YFZ, the difference in weight is the same.

Correction, if you change the arms from stock to aftermarket on an LTR, you should actually save a little weight....still the heaviest though.

TPR

spanky101
10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
never heard about the ltr but i do know alot of people are keeping the stock arms and gettin the fox evol and saving some weight and gaining performance. I think some nice a-arms and shocks will really compliment this bike nicley and make everythign so much nicer

WOLFPACK
11-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by spanky101
I highly doubt revalved X mode shocks will perform as good as fox or peps, or any other highly reputable company. They should perform great not that good imo Why do you doubt it? With the exception of the FOX all other shocks have the same components on the inside. I can say with 100% certainty that we can revalve these shocks to outperform an Elka. Custom Axis would probably have a slight edge due to a flow jet they have that others don't. Fox is real popular right now and our Pro rider loves them. But, for the money (unless i'm a pro rider) i'd definately revalve!

bwamos
11-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
I've heard that if someone wants to make the quad wider and keep the weight very close to stock...

You could simply add 3+2 offset wheels to gain a couple inches. Since the ball joint angle line (forget what it's called) actually crosses past the centerline of the front wheels swapping to 3+2 offset would still have you pretty close to center, and probably still better than other stock machines w/ 4+1 (or 4+1.5) offset wheels in that respect.