PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies?

Pappy
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Back before I got real sick in 2005, I could eat anything...I was a goat! I've even eaten soup while I watched the coroner put the cook in a body bag after he fell asleep cooking dinner and the house caught fire(shame..dude made good soup)

Anyway, after coming home from the hospital, I noticed every time I ate rice I would vomit. We figured it was something to do with me being sick as I had never had that reaction to rice before.

So tonight, I grabbed some pork fried rice that was left over from last nights dinner (ate it then, no issues) but tonight, before I even finished it I was praying to the porcelain god:ermm: This has happened almost every time I have eaten rice for the past two years for the most part and we really did not put it together until tonight.

This sound like a reaction to food or some form of allergy? I thought allergies were more like rashes, skin disorders etc as far as reacting to the food. I will discuss this with my doctor of course, just looking for some real world experience on the issue:p

CannondaleRider
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Kind of odd.

My grandma is dealing with something somewhat similiar. She was bit by an assassin bug a while back. She was hospitalized, and was far to close to passing away.

But, she was able to pull through it. Now, outside of the normal recovery, she can't hardly eat anything. Not because it makes her sick, but, she'll take one bite, and it will taste fine, next bite will taste absolutely horrible. VERY few food don't have that effect.

Very odd deal.

hondaracer31
10-12-2007, 06:01 AM
I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to nuts. Doctors said I was within 15 minutes of dying.:ermm:

Eviltanker
10-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Not sure Pappy, Are you on some type of med that might be reacting with the rice? Hope the Doc's can give you an answer.

chris46250r
10-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Pappy, I think its because you bought that Mustang. You are an anti-ricer now. :devil:

Pappy
10-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Pappy, I think its because you bought that Mustang. You are an anti-ricer now. :devil:

I was anti ricer before there was anti rice:devil:

Quad18star
10-12-2007, 07:33 AM
My dad ate seafood all his life , one day my uncle bought some scallops , he ate a few then had a really bad allergic reaction . He went to the hospital , they ran tests and it turns out he's now allergic to any type of shellfish .

chris46250r
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I was anti ricer before there was anti rice:devil:

I figured you was and glad you are. I'm with you though, I thought that food allergies made you break out or throat swell up, that kinda stuff.

10-12-2007, 07:43 AM
are you sure it is rice?
have you had anything with gluten(wheat (including spelt, triticale, and kamut), rye, and barley) at the times you have gotten sick?

if you think that may be a possibilty, look into celiac disease

Pappy
10-12-2007, 08:20 AM
pretty sure its rice.

my wife and i chatted and everytime i have alot (as in not mixed like in steak, rice, green peppers or stuffed peppers etc) but as a side dish, I compolain of indigestion before the meal ends and soon after vomit.

last night i was feeling great, tired but great. i wanted a snack before heading off to bed and had the pork fried rice. i had about half of it down when i went running! it pretty much was an epiphany as i realized at that moment i just may be haing a reaction or developed an intolorence to rice.

my immune system was wrecked in 2005, and i had a zero white count, so basically has they got me better my immune system came back online as it were. not sure, but reading up on this, it seems logical.

greg, my mom had to have cpr due to shellfish....and she had never had an issue before her attack.

Pappy
10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
btw, i will be getting a new keyboard...this one sucks!

daiglea
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I have the same problem. Turns out i have an intolerance for MSG.

JOEX
10-12-2007, 09:00 AM
You may have developed an intolerance to rice rather than an allerygy. Many people assume when there's a reaction to a food it's an allergy but often times it's an intolerance. But that doesn't make the symptoms feel any better:p

http://allergy.health.ivillage.com/foodallergyintolerance/riceallergy4.cfm

A person who has a reaction to rice does not necessarily have a rice allergy. In some cases, the reaction may be triggered by a food intolerance, which does not involve an immune-system reaction. Food intolerance involves the inability of the body to digest a substance, leading to symptoms of discomfort (e.g., stomach cramping) but posing little danger. Food intolerance often allows the individual to eat small portions of a problem food without experiencing symptoms. With a food allergy, even a very small portion of a food allergen can cause an allergic reaction.

hungus07trx400
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I had the scallop thing too. I used to eat shrimp all the time, then I had scallops for the first time like 3 years ago and my throat closed like a bear trap

Quad18star
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by hungus07trx400
I had the scallop thing too. I used to eat shrimp all the time, then I had scallops for the first time like 3 years ago and my throat closed like a bear trap

The wierd thing is though , my dad ate scallops all his life ... then out of the blue one day he has some and it hits him.

He still thinks that the doctors screwed up somewhere and that he's not allergic to all seafoods , but he doesn't want to take the chance and try some. I keep telling him to go get checked again , but he hasn't went. Ah well ... his loss !!!:p

wvspeedfreak
10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
One of my co-workers wife has diverticulitis and I know if she eats rice it just about kills her.

quad2xtreme
10-12-2007, 02:47 PM
hmmm....I can't drink Peach Schnapps anymore. I don't even like to look at it in a bottle.

:eek2:

Ghost-Rider
10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think i'm allergic to any foods. Although I have found White Castle to effect my in an odd way, and so i'm always scared to eat it. Sometimes ill eat it and be fine, other times ill eat it and be on the crapper off and on for a few days. I think its the amount of it i'm eating though, about 6-8 white castles in 4-6 minutes is not good, but if i eat like 4 i think i'm fine.

Kickstarts-suck
10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I don't think i'm allergic to any foods. Although I have found White Castle to effect my in an odd way, and so i'm always scared to eat it. Sometimes ill eat it and be fine, other times ill eat it and be on the crapper off and on for a few days. I think its the amount of it i'm eating though, about 6-8 white castles in 4-6 minutes is not good, but if i eat like 4 i think i'm fine.

I think that would be food poisoning.

They might not wash their hands :chinese:

Ghost-Rider
10-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
I think that would be food poisoning.

They might not wash their hands :chinese:

I'm not sure, I hate feeling like crap but the white castle burgers are just so damn good !!!

Kickstarts-suck
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure, I hate feeling like crap but the white castle burgers are just so damn good !!!

lol yea i know. Ive gotten food poisoning from wendys and said i would never go back but its just so good :p

Ghost-Rider
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
lol yea i know. Ive gotten food poisoning from wendys and said i would never go back but its just so good :p

I just finished eating Wendys :scary:

I can deal with sitting on the crapper, but barfing is not good...

BlaineKaiser450
10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Pappy, I think its because you bought that Mustang. You are an anti-ricer now. :devil: hahaha

chris46250r
10-12-2007, 03:56 PM

That would be why they call them sliders, gut bombs, colon cleansers and @$$ bullets.