PDA

View Full Version : Toasted LT80

efilnicafesin
10-11-2007, 05:24 AM
I picked up a stock LT80 a few years ago for the kids to tool around the yard with.. It was beat to hell when we got it, and we beat it more. A few weeks ago, my son came to me and said the quad made a funny noise and then stopped... :eek2: I tried to start it, and it didn't sound good. I pushed it back to the garage and parked it. I got around to pulling the jug off, and obviously the oil injection stopped working awhile ago... The skirt on the piston is gone and into the bottom end. The crank is hard to turn, although the rod moves freely on the crank. I imagine there is chunks of aluminum in the bottom and wedged between the case and crank as well. After reading about what is involved to pull the crank, I don't think I want to go that far. Is it gone or possibly salvageable? Anyone have a stock LT80 engine to get rid of?

LT80
10-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Surely it's salvageable. :)

redzoomer
10-13-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by LT80
Surely it's salvageable. :)

Always!

efilnicafesin
10-13-2007, 05:20 AM
What is the best way to get the chunks out of the bottom end? I don't want to split the case.. Should I just take the engine out of the quad and just flip it upside down? Wash it out with anything? I don't know a whole lot about 2-strokes.. Whats in the bottom of the case besides parts of my piston?

LT80
10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes, wash the bottom end out. I use a gas/oil mix.
Just 2 bearings and the crank in there. :)
Spin the crank to make sure it spins freely.

efilnicafesin
10-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Excellent... thanks.. I'll give it a shot.