PDA

View Full Version : Twist throttle install ???

EDWRDSRACING
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey guys me and my friend just installed a terrycable gasser! The problem is the safety device used on the stock throttle to start/give it gas after it starts How do you bypass??????? We have tried a few ways and it won't work with out a toggle switch!

mcracer
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
WE INSTALLED TWIST OFF A YFZ450 LAST NIGHT WORKED GREAT. WE ARE WORKING ON THE SWITCH IT WILL RUN YOU JUST HAVE TO PUSH THE MICRO SWITCH TO GET IT TO START. I'LL POST YOU SOLUTION IN ALITTLE WHILE KTM JUST EMAILED ME DIAGRAM TO BYPASS.

EDWRDSRACING
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for you help can't wait to get the info from you:D

mcracer
10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
okay the safety switch is linked to the clutch through the cdi box. I think we have solution. have to get micro switch monday to try out i'll post you with results. the good thing is you only have to push factory switch once until you turn off key so if you kill it in the woods should restart without remembering to push switch. I zip tie mine to bars next to throttle.If what we have in mind works i'll post part needed and diagram on how to wire

Quadevil
10-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm very interested in this for the KTM 525 because i hate thumb throthle...

I'm hoping to see more news from you guys about it :)

STEVE STILLER
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
if you get it to work, please let us know asap. the factory team has a different ecm and doesn't have the switch.

madini
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
If you are referring to the duel gasser I bought one for my 450ER but havn't installed it yet because I am considering buying a 525XC..Would the one I have work on the KTM or would I have to exchange it or buy another one? Anybody know? Another question while I have the best information source out there,since Rekluse makes an auto clutch for the Outlaw would I be safe to asume it would fit the KTM?

EDWRDSRACING
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
The gasser will work it's bypassing the elctrical switch is what we can't figure out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:confused: :confused:

madini
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply.Wish I could help you!

mcracer
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
I have all the parts to try now I will install this weekend I'll give you results Sunday and what parts you need and diagram if it works.

QIKLTR
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
i read on ktmtalk that you can simply unplug the switch. not sure if it works but it sounds simple.

mcracer
10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by QIKLTR
i read on ktmtalk that you can simply unplug the switch. not sure if it works but it sounds simple.

I wish I had of thought of that. Just kiddin!! That works until you put it in gear and give it throttle. Starts fine but in gear it stalls when you give it throttle. Will have it figured out soon.
Raced mine this weekend with twist doesn't seem to be a problem you just have to remember to push micro switch after you turn on key. As long as you don't turn of key or use on off switch it will start right up if you stall it.

QIKLTR
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
you cant just jumper it like you do a clutch safety switch? kind of tricking it to thinking its always on? just some ideas. i will be switching to a honda thumb throttle so i will need to tackle this situation as well in the future.

Quadevil
10-23-2007, 06:21 AM
I just hope somehow, KTM will come up with a twist throttle before i buy the 525 ...thumb is to bad :(

inthewoods10
10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
ok guys heres the deal, the plug from the thumb throttle is a throttle control sensor which goes back to the cdi and works in conjunction with gear selection. there is a risk of hurting the machine by bypassing this system. I have taken my thumb throttle off and sent it to motion pro who have made and tested a twist throttle that will plug into the cdi. They will have it ready by the end of the week. Go to motion pro and order yours now, you know it will work correctly without riggin up anything

mcracer
10-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Talked to Larry at motion pro yesterday they don't have one ready yet he said will take some time to figure out how to bypass electrical part of throttle said about a month. if you have more updated info on it being ready let me know I'm using yfz 450 vortec twist with no problems so far

EDWRDSRACING
10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey guys I've been talking to Larry from motion pro for a while now and I just sent him the wiring diagrams yesterday! He said he will be working on it over the weekend! Should no something soon will let you know as soon as I know!

inthewoods10
10-31-2007, 07:41 PM
like I said they have my whole thumb throttle assembly in hand and hae already got most of it figured out, i was told i will have my thumb throttle assembly as well as the new twist throttle by tuesday of next week. They received my stuff yesterday

mcracer
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
thats great hope they get it figured out that quick it would be nice no to have switch hangin out.

inthewoods10
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
As of today my twist throttle from motion pro should be coming this wasy along with my thumb throttle control I hope. Can,t stand seeing tha thing just sitting there in the garage. From what I know the Twist throttle set up for the KTm will be the same as what was being used on the Raptor 700r as they both have the throttle postion sensor which plugs into the cdi box. I was told they had a successful test and confident that they have a product that will plug and play so to speak. Not sure if the raptor 700 and the yfz 450 run the same throttle or not. That is what I know at this point , so if interested in a twist throttle call motion pro.

mcracer
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Just wondering who you are talking to at motion pro? I talked to Larry today for about 45 min and he has I guess your throttle but still doesn't have totally figured out yet. As for the Raptor 700 i have one also and the twist throttle for it has no electronic's involved or jumper wire or anything else. We had to have motion custom make a cable so it would work with their vortec but no bypass or jumper involved, just took of thumb and installed twist. Our yfz 450s have a jumper clip that inserts to twist assembly.

EDWRDSRACING
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by mcracer
Just wondering who you are talking to at motion pro? I talked to Larry today for about 45 min and he has I guess your throttle but still doesn't have totally figured out yet. As for the Raptor 700 i have one also and the twist throttle for it has no electronic's involved or jumper wire or anything else. We had to have motion custom make a cable so it would work with their vortec but no bypass or jumper involved, just took of thumb and installed twist. Our yfz 450s have a jumper clip that inserts to twist assembly.

Hey mcracer I'm with you I've been talking to Larry for awhile and he said they are not even close to making one so some one is not telling the whole story or full of BS.

mcracer
11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by EDWRDSRACING
Hey mcracer I'm with you I've been talking to Larry for awhile and he said they are not even close to making one so some one is not telling the whole story or full of BS.

Yea! Larry said u sent wire diagram, and I've given him all the info and research on what we have gotten done, He has called me a few times trying to narrow down things won't be long but today wasn't real sure if can be done without some sort of switch. said may have to come up with something like on the 4x4 setups they have made, I'm not sure what he was talking about. I have to give him a call to give some info I checked out tonight with ing system. He doesn't have quad to test on. I'm sure they will get it done they are pretty good and have helped me alot on raptor stuff.

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 06:48 AM
sorry guys for the confusion, ive been going through my dealer, they have the relationship with motion pro. When i asked about a twist throttle he said he would do some checking, called me back and said if i could live without my throttle assembly for a week or so motion pro would make me one free of charge. I sent it to in next day air , according to my dealer the info i got was that they had in hand had tested everything and i should have something back this week. I will get with my dealer today to figure out what is going on. All I know is what they were telling me, and that I don't have any throttle on my ktm at this point and am wanting to ride this thing. sorry for the confusion

mcracer
11-06-2007, 07:34 AM
that ok I just wanted to know if I was getting the run around, I want mine to work right just like everyone else.

EDWRDSRACING
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
You know what guys Larry is a great person he just has a lot of work. When he has figured it out he will let one of us know!!! I think where all a little :mad: because we haven't ridden are quads. Sorry if I made any wrong remarks to anyone!

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
ok, you guys we're right, my dealer filling me full of !@#$%. I spoke with larry today, my sutff is coming back as of today. A yfz 450 kit is what i am getting in the short term, they still have yet to figure out how to get the switch incorporated into there product. For now I will have to take the switch out of the thumb throttle assembly mount it on the bars , turn the key on push the switch then start the machine. I was told once you do this u will not need to push the throttle switch again until the iginition has been switched off. We will see. In the mean time they say they hope to have this figured out within the next couple of weeks, so keep checking in with motion pro.

mcracer
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by EDWRDSRACING
You know what guys Larry is a great person he just has a lot of work. When he has figured it out he will let one of us know!!! I think where all a little :mad: because we haven't ridden are quads. Sorry if I made any wrong remarks to anyone!

oh yes larry is great just got off the phone with him I never thought any differant about him. I'm ridin mine I'm using yfz twist just have to remember to push switch everytime I turn off key. It won't be big deal if it takes him several weeks to figure out for me. You never made any wrong remarks to me we are on same page.

mcracer
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by inthewoods10
ok, you guys we're right, my dealer filling me full of !@#$%. I spoke with larry today, my sutff is coming back as of today. A yfz 450 kit is what i am getting in the short term, they still have yet to figure out how to get the switch incorporated into there product. For now I will have to take the switch out of the thumb throttle assembly mount it on the bars , turn the key on push the switch then start the machine. I was told once you do this u will not need to push the throttle switch again until the iginition has been switched off. We will see. In the mean time they say they hope to have this figured out within the next couple of weeks, so keep checking in with motion pro.

This fix is what I have been in contact with larry about for a few weeks now thats why I couldn't figure out how you were gettin one and I was having to give them info about the loop between the safety switch and the clutch through cdi box, and was being told they haven't figured it out yet.
No harm No foul hate when people you trust for parts and stuff gife you a load to make them look good.(talkin about your parts guy)
I just zip tied the micro switch to the bars right next to throttle assembly turn on key and push button. We are still working on this also one of our racers is an electrical engineer, and we are waiting on more detail wiring diagram with all resistors and voltages. If we get it done before motion I'll send all info to them so the can make theres work. also i saw u asked about flexx bars moving the plate for key switch i have the high rise on mine and the plate fit like on stock bars between clamp and cross bars. I have a freind machining me new plate should have next weekend i'll let you know if it works if so i'll give you his #.

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
you guys are great thanks for the help. If i get the throttle assemly back by thursday i will have my 525 at ohlins again here in hendersonville on friday and then to a local track to do somemore spring testing. Well they will be doing the riding and testing as well, i just get the benefit of knowing those guys and have the quad.

mcracer
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by inthewoods10
you guys are great thanks for the help. If i get the throttle assemly back by thursday i will have my 525 at ohlins again here in hendersonville on friday and then to a local track to do somemore spring testing. Well they will be doing the riding and testing as well, i just get the benefit of knowing those guys and have the quad.

LET ME KNOW HOW THAT GOES I'VE BEEN TALKIN TO STEVE FROM OHLINS GREAT GUY, AND HE SAID HE WAS WAITING ON SOME DIFFERANT SPRINGS TO TEST OUT, MY BUDDY HAD HIS REVALVED AT SMS RACING IN DENTON TX AND THEY SAID THE VALVING IS SET UP WAY TO STIFF FROM FACTORY HIS QUAD FEELS WAY BETTER THAN IT DID BUT I WANT THE SAME FEELING I HAVE WITH MY ELKA ELITES. LET US KNOW NEED A LITTLE SOFTER RIDE.

inthewoods10
11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
cool thanks

KENNY HEMMINGS
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by mcracer
LET ME KNOW HOW THAT GOES I'VE BEEN TALKIN TO STEVE FROM OHLINS GREAT GUY, AND HE SAID HE WAS WAITING ON SOME DIFFERANT SPRINGS TO TEST OUT, MY BUDDY HAD HIS REVALVED AT SMS RACING IN DENTON TX AND THEY SAID THE VALVING IS SET UP WAY TO STIFF FROM FACTORY HIS QUAD FEELS WAY BETTER THAN IT DID BUT I WANT THE SAME FEELING I HAVE WITH MY ELKA ELITES. LET US KNOW NEED A LITTLE SOFTER RIDE.

YOU WANT FIND A NICER GUY THAN STEVE AT OHLINS HE IS TOP
NOTCH!! ALWAYS REAL HELPFULL, I AM RUNNING THERE SHOCKS
ON 2 XC YFZ'S AND REALLY LIKE THEM, LIKE THEM WAY BETTER THAN THE AXIS OR ELKA'S I HAVE RAN BEFORE.

mcracer
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
THANKS FOR INFO I PLAN ON DEALING WITH STEVE I'M JUST WAITING TILL HE GETS IT ALL FIGURED OUT. ELKAS ARE GREAT BUT I THINK THEY ARE A LITTLE PRICEY

mcracer
11-09-2007, 07:18 PM
hey inthewoods did you get your yfz twist installed? also anymore on shocks, did you get pictures of your light relocate? that other guys looked pretty good.

inthewoods10
11-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Got the twist but in a hurry to get it going again I just put the thumb throttle back on for now, it is a yfz 450 twist for now, larry at motion pro said he probably needs 2 weeks to a month to try to get that switch figured out, it is really stumping them right now and he needs a bit more detailed wiring. So until he has a 525 in his shop he is struggling. As for the other, i moved my lights to the black hood piece, and moved the key switch to the fender like a yfz, works well, don't know why ktm did'nt do that in the first place. As for shocks, I met Steve at a local track for several hours yesterday, we both rode several different set ups , only worked on front shocks yesterday, he took alot of notes so if you know what your quad is doing now and what you want it to do he has a good idea based on several different spring set ups and adjustments. Next week we will go back and do more work on the rear to see if it can be better than the lighter single rate spring now. Im 200 and went from a 62 stiffness rear to a 58 , which is much better, he feels for cross country it can be even softer after yesterday and so possibly a 56nm. Next week we hope to try a dual spring set up to see if that helps even more.