PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 90cc VS. TRX 125

azextreme
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I planning on stepping it up for my kid not sure what way to go?? I've see a built TRX w/long travel all the way around "increadable". I only seen the Cobra 50 nice bike but power wise not up to par with a built 125 four stroke. What would be the beat way to go (MX)?? You guy out east I'm sure you have seen these bike go at it.

Dirtblast
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Where have you seen a Cobra 90? Check some of the National results if you don't think a Cobra will run with a built Honda 125.
Cody Tittle,Aaron Beer Just to name a couple. Don't get me wrong though those Hondas are fast and can run with any youth quad out there, but so can the Cobras. I am a little prejudice though since my son rides a Cobra. He held is own this year running with the Honda 125s on a Cobra 70. Can't wait for the 90 motor!! It's really in what you want 2 stroke or 4 stroke, both are great quads to race.

Gus Gentry

tireman43
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I can only add that they make a 90cc kit(I believe) for the Cobra but don't know much about it. I will say the 70cc Cobra screams and I've only seen 1 125cc TRX and it looked good too.

3-D Racing Dad
10-10-2007, 04:33 AM
We have access to both and have raced against both and in my humble opinion the TRX is much more reliable, and I think faster now that we have long travel . We have a SCR 125 in ours and a full pro fab suspension and that thing screams. Im definatly not saying anything bad about Cobras because those things are fast as well.

rookiewrench
10-10-2007, 05:44 AM
This was the same dicision that I was tring to make about 1yr. ago and I spoke to people on both sides and heard the good and bad about both. For me one of the biggest factor at first was the weight difference between the two. My son weighs about 70lbs and the difference of approx. 60lbs less weight of the cobra made it more appealing to me.

Second if I was to build a new trx125 the cost difference was about 4-5 thousand more if you want to run nationals

Third, if I didn't get the electric start my son would not be able to pull start the quad if he stalled on the track.

For me the biggest factor was support that I would have from Brandon and Sonia Tittle. They have helped me more than they know.

I would suggest that you speak to the people that know, Robbs racing , Scott at SCR , Rich Hetrick and Brandon or Sonia at Tittle Brothers Racing.

Good luck and just one man opinion but both are incredible machines !!

etondaddy
10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
We raced a cvt e-ton for four years and loved it. But I just plane got tired of working on it. In between motos the Honda dads are taking a nap and the cvt dads are working on them (not all the time) we decided to go trx90 for next year for the reliability and to get him ready for the 300ex in a couple of years. The e-ton has treated us very well and would make someone a very good race machine it’s for sale if interested e-mail me at mikekozura@yahoo.com

The Cobras are just plane bad a@@ they have come a long way from there bike motor beginning……… but I what him to get used to the four stroke and the bigger machine

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/atvchamps10.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM004000_edited.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/HD7B1942_edited-1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/double.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM003974.jpg

Sorry about all the pics I got cared away

azextreme
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm talking about a 70cc shifter bumped up to a 90cc (the kit). And as far as the not up to par power wise to a 125 four stroke is the cobra 50. Price wise I can spend $8,000 on a Cobra 70 or get a fully built used Hetrick trx125 for $7500. Does anybody out there have a 70 bumped up to a 90 and if so, How is the clutch holding up? Another thought I have had was to get a Cobra 50 swap out the 50 put in a cr85 and swap out the wheels!

bracey
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
we have owned both trx 125 and the cobra 70 with the 80cc kit on it and we sold the cobra we found that the trx 125 was a lot easier to maintain. They are both great quads it would all come down to personal choice 2 stroke or 4 stroke. We think for overall racing on all types of tracks (muddy,hard packed, long ,short,) that the honda was best for us and as far as the money they both will cost you around the same when your done.

azextreme
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by bracey
we have owned both trx 125 and the cobra 70 with the 80cc kit on it and we sold the cobra we found that the trx 125 was a lot easier to maintain. They are both great quads it would all come down to personal choice 2 stroke or 4 stroke. We think for overall racing on all types of tracks (muddy,hard packed, long ,short,) that the honda was best for us and as far as the money they both will cost you around the same when your done.

That was the kind of answer I looking for! Thanks

bracey
10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
azextreme you have a pm

azextreme
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks to all great info! I have got a few PM's of bike for sale. I'm not ready to drop thousands tell tax season but my kid will get a TRX or Cobra. Doing my research now! I do have a one off YFZ780 for trade! Its not a MX'er its a hill shooter or dragger (super fast)! I'll be posting in classifieds soon.

2strokeTim
10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
get a 250ex not too much of a change;)

azextreme
10-14-2007, 08:23 PM
A 250ex is a utility quad with race plastic! give me a break:devil:

guy310
10-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I think he meant he would gladly trade you his 250ex for that puny Yami. lol That thing just looks mean, I can imagine how it runs. Nice job.