View Full Version : Chain myths?

Helix
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I have heard that a stock o ring chain robs horsepower. I've heard you need to go with a non o-ring chain to get more horsepower to the ground. Is this true? I am not sure the difference in all the D.I.D chains. They have X-ring, ERT2 and others. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to be looking for.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=36&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9

10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
actually that myth has been proven true with dyno testing. The O-ring chain had something like 1.025 HP less. I thought it was weird I guess friction or something

Helix
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Nice!!:D

10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
i wish i had the graphs to post up.

wvspeedfreak
10-09-2007, 08:20 PM
While a non-oring chain will put a little more power to the ground the benefits of running an o-ring chain far outweighs it.

REDRIDDER
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
While a non-oring chain will put a little more power to the ground the benefits of running an o-ring chain far outweighs it. the benefits are? besides maybe lasting a little longer....im on my 2nd year on my tusk gold lol...

GPracer2500
10-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
actually that myth has been proven true with dyno testing. The O-ring chain had 1.5 HP less. I thought it was weird I guess friction or something

Proven by who?

I've seen two different tests (GT Thunder and Venom). Neither test showed any difference in HP worth mentioning.

Keeping a chain in clean, lubed, and in good condition is far more important for reducing driveline losses than the choice of chain, IMO.

I've used both o-ring and non-oring chains and have found that on my machines in my conditions, an o-ring is the best choice by a fair margin.

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 02:56 AM
From the basic physics, an o-ring chain will rob a small amount of power thru the additional friction between the oring's surface and the link's surface. I doubt it is very much though. I prefer the peace of mind knowing that I can run through dust, sand and water all I want and not significanlty afffect the life of my chain. Plus the reduced requirements for lubing an o-ring chain is a real benifit to me (I'm lazy!). A short spray with chain wax when its been washed, and I'm good to go.

wvspeedfreak
10-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
the benefits are? besides maybe lasting a little longer....im on my 2nd year on my tusk gold lol...

All I'm saying is if you are that concerned about the .00754 horsepower loss from running an o-ring chain then you are looking for gains in the wrong places lol.

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
All I'm saying is if you are that concerned about the .00754 horsepower loss from running an o-ring chain then you are looking for gains in the wrong places lol.

Amen, brutha!

svahle
10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I suppose this myth may have some validity with new chains. But wait until those chains have some wear and typical neglect. I'll bet when both chains get some age on them, the 0-ring chain will put the same if not more power to the ground. I doubt many of us replace our chains as often as we should. I also doubt that many of us lube our chains as often as we should. I'm gonna stick with the o-ring chain for these very reasons. Just my opinion and thoughts.