PDA

View Full Version : Need help wont start!!!

Nick110
10-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Well my quad wont start now, The battery is charged, but it wont turn over. It doesnt even try to. When I push the start button the Switch assembly next to the battery makes a little pop noise and the neutral light dims a little bit. What is my problem.

wvspeedfreak
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Check your battery cable connections at the battery and where the ground goes to the frame.Sounds like a loose/bad connection somewhere.

Exrider434
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Bad solinoid possibly. But most likely bad connection as stated above. Unhook the battery connections and take a wire brush to them see if that helps at all.

Nick110
10-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I already checked the battery connections and those are good. I will check the ground. Can I test the solenoid?

Pipeless416
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
mine had the exact same symptoms about a year ago and a new solenoid fixed it. if its just clicking and not turning over thats most likely it.

gncc025
10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
very good chance its the solenoid. make sure theres no bare wires that go to the solenoid. possibility it can be grounded out on your frame or something else metal.

Honda4lyphe
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Try push starting it (get someone in the back while its in neutral to push, then at the right speed you shift down and when it starts do your thing) if its showing the neutral light, normally you need it to start so it will charge the battery back up itself. Keep the lights off, make sure they are off when you put the quad up for atleast a week because beleive it or not it will drain alot of battery energy when you turn the key on, basically have it started, and ride it a good bit after about 10 minutes, then turn it off and see if that solves the problem. Happend to me camping because we forgot our flashlights..just ran it for awhile and it would start right up. Goodluck!

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 03:08 AM
With a meter, measure the voltage on both terminals of the solenoid, relative to ground, when you are pushing the button. If the two voltages differ by more than a volt, the solenoid is likely bad. If they are the same, and over 10 volts or so, the starter may be bad. If they are both lower than 9 or 10 volts it's the battery or the battery connections.

It could be the wire from the solenoid to the starter, but since your neutral light dims, I'm going to predict it's the starter, the battery or the battery connections.

Short a large screwdriver across the two large terminals on the solenoid. If the starter turns over it's not battery or battery connection related. Then it's either solenoid, start switch or wiring to the solenoid... prob solenoid in your case.

Ruby Soho
10-10-2007, 08:00 AM
check your ground

Nick110
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
With a meter, measure the voltage on both terminals of the solenoid, relative to ground, when you are pushing the button. If the two voltages differ by more than a volt, the solenoid is likely bad. If they are the same, and over 10 volts or so, the starter may be bad. If they are both lower than 9 or 10 volts it's the battery or the battery connections.

It could be the wire from the solenoid to the starter, but since your neutral light dims, I'm going to predict it's the starter, the battery or the battery connections.

Short a large screwdriver across the two large terminals on the solenoid. If the starter turns over it's not battery or battery connection related. Then it's either solenoid, start switch or wiring to the solenoid... prob solenoid in your case.

I shorted the solenoid and the starter did not turn over. I checked my ground and its good. Im gonna go ahead and buy a new solenoid.

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
You just showed that it's NOT the solenoid! If shorting across the two large lugs on the solenoid doesn't turn the starter over then it's the battery, battery connections, starter or the wires between them, ONLY.

Dont buy a solenoid!

tjhotop12
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
check ur fuse box there should be two fuses and one is an extra check that it didn't come loose mine comes loose all the time and make a clickin noise:eek:

QuadManiac
10-11-2007, 06:24 PM
His neutral light dims, doesn't go out, and shorting across the relay doesn't work, so it's probably not the fuse (just, might have multilple probs), but check it anyway for loosness...

Nick110
10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
His neutral light dims, doesn't go out, and shorting across the relay doesn't work, so it's probably not the fuse (just, might have multilple probs), but check it anyway for loosness...

Whew close call. Ive checked the battery and connections, those are all good. I guess the only thing left is the starter? Correct.

QuadManiac
10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Measure voltage at the starter when the button is pushed. If it's no more than a volt or 2 less than the batt voltage under the same conditions, it's likely the starter. Are the ground conn's all good too?