PDA

View Full Version : advantages'disadvantages of +3 a arms

nemored
10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
thinking about getting a 250r that has stock a arms..if I were to go up to +3 do I need new shocks as well? Also any disadvantages or advantages other than a wider stance for better handling?
tia

RichM1983
10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a set of Laeger +3's on my R and I use the stock shocks. I also use the stock 86/87 front brake lines. The only thig is that you can't bolt the brake line splitter to the frame where it is supposed to go because the lines will bind. I located mine farther down in the frame under where the splitter normally goes and it works great.

redrooster310r
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
i gots a plus 3 janssen outlaws wit elka elite long travels , the whole set up rocks the whoops and soaks up big air. nice upgrade for a plush ride. not to mention the extra confidence you get with all that extra travel....like landing on the flats is now ... like ... no big deal. 19.5 inch shock with 2 inchs of sag..... soo nice. pound whoops like a sand rail. handles good too with a wider stance....turns like it was on a rail. nice.

woodsracer144
10-14-2007, 01:55 PM
if you have the money just buy a Long travle front end... you can buy it used and save som money too and it will still work great... the quad im gonna be going to get here soon is running the +2 leager a-arms with peps that are fully adj. i havent rode it yet as soon as i take it out i'll let you know.

but my buddy fgote a full rolling Long travle leager R with a lonestar chassie for 2500 and he has a 265 in it with a full LRD exhaust...

but my 2cents is to kist get the LT's its a really smooth ride... you will pick your jaw up when you get off...

wilkin250r
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
The stock shocks should bolt up fine, and you could ride with them, but they won't perform very well.

The +3 arms are obviously longer, which adds extra leverage on the shocks. That makes the shocks REALLY soft. That's fine and great for little bumps and rocks, but you can't catch more than a couple feet of air before they bottom out on you.

There are a couple other disadvantages as well. I know the stock brake lines will fit +2 arms, but not +3.

The wider stance is great in wide open areas, but it's actually a disadvantage in tight areas. All the pros in the GNCC run right about stock width for maximum agility.

GOTFEAR
10-15-2007, 08:12 PM
OK i wouldn't get +3 standard travel very hard to get the shock ratio set up i would suggest +3 long travel arms and shocks

Meat
10-19-2007, 11:22 PM
"The wider stance is great in wide open areas, but it's actually a disadvantage in tight areas. All the pros in the GNCC run right about stock width for maximum agility."

ya I run a set of +3 long travel Roll Design on my R and they work fantastic.... but damn the quad is awful wide and that doesnt work to great when I'm riding in the trees. Im from Pennsylvania, we have alot of frickin' trees. I was using +1 ARS\FX a-arms and I'll be going back to them as soon as I can find a set of shocks for em. Unless your jumpin' or MX racing, or constantly riding in deep whoops, the +3 are a little too wide for everyday trail riding and definity waaaaay to wide if your interested in racing a harescramble or a cross country race. I'm even using 4:1 offset front rims with my Roll A-arms and I still think its too wide. She slides like a mofo tho
:D

EXtreme-
10-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Meat,
How many inches wide is your front end....rubber to rubber with those 4+1's?

SWIGIN
10-20-2007, 09:00 AM
with my plus 3 arms and 4x1 wheels im right at 50''

SWIGIN
10-20-2007, 09:13 AM
this is closer to 52''

i just replaced my ball joints the day before and didnt set my camber and toe in yet....lol