PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a jet kit?

dads400ex
10-31-2001, 12:33 AM
Which is the best way to go about rejetting, after reading some of the posts there seems to be some saying that the power kits are a waste of money. So what would be the best way to go, get a kit or just get a few jets in sizes above and below the stock jet size? Or get the kit for the ease of having the main and pilot jets from the kit right there.

Thanks,
Paul

CranMan
10-31-2001, 07:23 AM
My jet kit didnt come with pilot jets. It was a k&n power kit. It did come with a new needle, a main jet adapter thing and about 8 different main jets. I dont know if the needle was needed. It seems like you could just get the honda main jets a few sizes bigger than stock and not need the kit. But how much are honda jets. If ther're less than $5 then you could probable rejet cheaper that way.

knighttime
10-31-2001, 07:24 AM
I think the best thing is the K&N kit that comes with the filter and jets. If I wasn't already jetted correctly and didnt have a UNI filter, thats what I would buy.

10-31-2001, 07:30 AM
K&N powerkit is what you need,,,go out to K&N engineering's webpage and read up if you want facts of what it can do for your motor..some people say there junk but I'm guessing they installed it wrong and there quad run like crap so they blame the product instead of thinking,,,hey maybe I got a wrong jet in there.
I recommend it,,,my bike ran totally different after the install,,it will help the cold natured beast to start easier and you'll get better fuel effeciancy. Go ahead and order you an aftermarket pipe of some kind to go with it and you'll really wake that bike up..But I'll go ahead and say get the powerkit you won't be sorry,,,money well spent..

dads400ex
10-31-2001, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys for the responses, I was leaning towards the kit and now that is what I will get. What about pilot jets do you think I will need to change it or not, of course this will be done with a full pipe (FMF power core 4-Q) and air cleaner.

Thanks,
Paul

10-31-2001, 09:00 AM
Nope,,,I have a FMF powercore IV/2 with a jet kit and didn't have to do anything with the pilot jet,,,I had to change it up 1 size when I put the powerbomb header pipe on but raising the needle up 1 notch will fix any hard starting or idling problems you might have. YOu'll use the stage II kit when you get it in..hope this helps. Are you leaving the airbox lid on or modifying it in anyway??

dads400ex
10-31-2001, 10:26 AM
Rico, Yeah I am going to get the power bomb header also and also plan on putting some holes in the lid and use the uni vents that some of the other guy's are using. When you said you went up one after installing the power bomb header was that the main jet or pilot jet you were refering to.

Paul

10-31-2001, 10:33 AM
when I put on the powerbomb I went up to a size 40 pilot jet, which was 1 size, and had to adjust the mixture screw just a little. If you plan on puttin like 6 of the uni vents in you'll probably go with a 160 main jet to start and if necessary go to a 165 maybe,,I'd start with a 160 first and see how she runs. Knighttime has the same setup so maybe email him and see exactly what he's runnin,,none of us are really way up in the mountains so his setup will probably work perfect for you..elevation wise. YOu'll love the extry power to from what your doin,,,,you'll look like this guy on your first test ride----------> :D Grinin ear ta ear..good luck dad.

dads400ex
10-31-2001, 10:42 AM
Thanks again Rico for the help and thats what I want extra power and to look like that guy in you post:D .

Paul

dads400ex
10-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Hey Rico did you feel it was worth adding the power bomb header over the stock header.
Just wondering,
dads400ex

Atomic83
10-31-2001, 02:38 PM
I started at 160 and it seemed to run fine but I checked my plug and it was all black, so I went down to 155.

10-31-2001, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dads400ex
Hey Rico did you feel it was worth adding the power bomb header over the stock header.
Just wondering,
dads400ex

Yes I did,,,more power all around,,,top to bottom.,,I've not heard anyone using the powerbomb on this webpage say anything bad or negative about it. If you haven't already got any of these parts,,I have to suggest getting with magic racing,,they've got power up packages which include full pipe kits, k&n filter and jetkit, and the K&N oil and cleaner. They have adds in dirtwheels,,and they are some good people to work with I've spent A LOT of money there..also maybe get with Terry at marcums atv,,,link at the top of page...He's a great guy with good prices,,just dont know if he carries all that your lookin for.