PDA

View Full Version : Rev Box!!!!!!!!!!

rev-man
10-09-2007, 05:31 PM
i am thinking about putting either a amr racing stage 2 +1000 or stock rev limeter or stage 3 1200+ over stock

my question is do i need to mod the motor at all

will it hurt the motor

and which do you recoomend

THANKS

tedwilley
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I have the AMR stage 3, and generally like what is has done for me.
I tried a Big Gun box first, and it worked just as well. But I began to have problems with it. They did offer to replace it, I just decided to try the AMR.
The extra revs allow you to stay in each gear longer, which I like for technical trails and such. I don't think you can tell any difference in top end speed. The engine starts easier almost never use the choke. The ignition is slightly advanced, but I can't say it made any noticeable difference.
The only mods I have are HMF full exhaust, K and N filter with Outerwear and no airbox lid, AND proper jetting for those mods.
Be aware that the AMR has some added "features" the others do not.
1. The neutral light will be on as long as your key is on, in every gear.
2. You can start the engine in any gear.

I'm not bothered by either, just wanted to spare you any surprises.

rev-man
10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
thanks you have been a big help

but have you had any motor trouble with the very high rev limiit ]

tedwilley
10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
NO, but remember you should rarely run pinned at the RPM limit for very long.

Honda10
11-08-2007, 04:05 PM
is it risky at all to have a rex-box on a 250ex engine wise?

11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by tedwilley
NO, but remember you should rarely run pinned at the RPM limit for very long.

thats the only downside to a rev box is that you can damage or blow your motor staying in higher RPM's. stock rev limiter you can bounce it off all day and nothing will happen, my friend held his throttle wide open in neutral for 30 seconds and nothing happened with the stock rev limiter

tedwilley
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
The rev limiter (especially at the stock setting) is for people who would hold their throttle wide open in neutral for 30 seconds.
I'm glad I'm not paying for his quad (or trying to maintain it!)

BTW the rev limiter is still there, it just kicks out at a higher RPM.

NO internal combustion engine is designed to survive wide open throttle with NO load for longer than a few seconds.

11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
NO internal combustion engine is designed to survive wide open throttle with NO load for longer than a few seconds.

thats incorrect, engineers build things around 4 times the safe limit. the stock rev limiter is low enough where you can hold it wide open for quite a while without any damage done. thats why Honda made the rev limiter so low to make it reliable and impossible to break. i have held my quad wide open for 3 seconds max just for the hell of it but i wont go past that even though it can. with an aftermarket rev box holding the throttle wide open for a while is especially dangerous because of the extra RPM's. why cant a company make a rev box that only gives you 500 RPM's instead of 1000 RPM's. 500 RPM's is plenty for making the gears longer, i noticed just a 150 RPM difference when i had a white brother e-series which somehow makes yu gain a little extra RPM's and that 150 was very noticable whn i returned to stock. i found myself inbetween gears on the trails without the e-series. thats why i'm saying why couldnt they make a 500 RPM rev box?

tedwilley
11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I was speaking of no-load, wide open throttle on an engine WITHOUT a rev limiter. Ask any Porsche or BMW owner who missed a shift and over revved their engine before rev limiters were being used.
As far as being four times over engineered, that's a new one...maybe the space shuttle...
If engines are so over engineered, why do they need to add a rev limiter? Cuts down on warranty repairs from people who hold their throttle wide open in neutral for like, say, thirty seconds.

11-09-2007, 07:58 PM
the rev limiter is what makes it 4 times safer. not the engine but the rev box

07250ex
11-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I was speaking of no-load, wide open throttle on an engine WITHOUT a rev limiter. Ask any Porsche or BMW owner who missed a shift and over revved their engine before rev limiters were being used.
As far as being four times over engineered, that's a new one...maybe the space shuttle...
If engines are so over engineered, why do they need to add a rev limiter? Cuts down on warranty repairs from people who hold their throttle wide open in neutral for like, say, thirty seconds.

my dads porsche mis fires when it hits the Rev limiter/Red line(on purpose) to keep it from blowing

rev-man
11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
ok i want the amr stage 3 rev box and me and my friend ride on this strech of road about 5 miles just wipe open all the time so will the AMR hurt my motor if i ride that strech with it

tedwilley
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I have run 19" rears and now 20" rears with the AMR stage III. It runs flat our in all the gears with no problems. Remember, there is still a rev limit, it is just higher. Personally I like what it has done for shift points and top speed with the smaller 20" tires.
The 19" are too small (loss of top speed) for most of my trail and track riding.

11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
stock rev limiter is 8750 just letting everyone know a little fact

Honda10
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
i was wondering which would be beeter, and amr revbox or big gun. i was thinking amr. also why does amr only have stage 2 and 3, where is stage 1?

tedwilley
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
I had a problem with my Big Gun box,
BUT I don't think that was typical of Big Gun, and they did offer to replace it. When I first had it, it worked great.
Before you select the AMR read the second post in this thread. It will change your neutral light operation and will start in ANY gear.
But, it too works great.

Honda10
11-30-2007, 06:26 AM
ok, but why does amr not have a stage 1 rev box?

tedwilley
11-30-2007, 07:22 AM
You'd have to ask them...

prairiemonster
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
stock rev limiter is 8750 just letting everyone know a little fact
Hey foxhondarider where did you get that number from,honda?
Ok guys call your honda dealers and see what they say about the rev limit on the 250ex,most have no clue.
I'm not saying that's wrong but the number I have for 06-07 is 9850! Add a extra 1200 after market cdi your at 11,000rpm+
danger zone for the valve train.
My first clue that things were different in 06 and up was the pilot jet,honda went from a#38 to a#42 that is freaken huge for a 22mm carb.Not even honda can do this without makeing other changes like crank/cam timing,valve train,rpm range and etc.
Why did honda do this, they had to, just to make the sport clucth work.
What would be nice is a adjustable rpm cdi.
Wow, WOT in neutral is scary stuff,I just have to ask WHY?
4 times saver, is that like saver bullets, they still kill you but not with all the mess.lol

tedwilley
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, no evidence on my end, both numbers seem kinda high for that engine. My 450 stroker redlines at 11,000 RPM.
Ryan??

11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
i got that rev limiter information directly from Honda.

250ex - 8750
300ex - ?
400ex - 9100
450R - ?

prairiemonster
12-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i got that rev limiter information directly from Honda.

250ex - 8750
300ex - ?
400ex - 9100
450R - ?
Hey thanks,your right about the 8750 I did some rechecking.
That's why I asked I was not sure about my numbers, also from honda.

hellshot00
12-30-2007, 06:25 PM
so the amr stage 3 rev box will let u start in ne gear and add longer gear ratios but u just cant hold it wide for nearly as long right?

Honda10
12-31-2007, 07:30 AM
correct