PDA

View Full Version : 250r bogging problem..reeds??

screaminta
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Hello all.. this past weekend after riding pretty hard my bike started running like crap. It was running perfect for two days straight ripping it up. Then all of a sudden in 6th gear passing my friends worked z400 the motor started sputtering and missing BAD!! The problem is that it will idle fine and start to rev fine, but then when u give it a bunch of throttle it will bog and sputter etc. I have tried a new plug and the carb is clean, etc. It is especially bad between 1/2 to full throttle, especially worse when moving, not sitting. It sounds really bad though. I am thinking that it is my reeds, but I wont have a chance to look at them all week. Could it also be my ignition system? It will start and idle fine, and I know my jetting is good and plug, motor seems like all compression is there.
The motor mods are esr 310 with trx7 porting, open airbox, k&n filter 38mm A/S carb, vforce2 reeds, and paul turner race pipe. BR9ES plug @.018" Let me know what you all think PLEASE!!...thanks

Aceman
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Main jet fall out?

screaminta
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
nah checked that, pulled the bowl/main/pilot, and all looks clean and clear as a whistle...

redrooster310r
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
stock petcock filter screen clogged? in tank. hows the flow?

screaminta
10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I doubt that the screen is clogged, but I will definetly check for that.. What else do you guys think it could be? Could the reeds be the cause for all this? thanks

screaminta
10-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I may add that when I was moving, probably 3rd gear and pegged it it just bogged but kinda felt like it wanted to go a little but something was holding it back, kinda hard to explain.....i could almost feel it start to hit power band but it just didnt get there....its hard to describe...anyone?

screaminta
10-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok,
I just found some time to tinker with it, and the fuel valve is flowing a steady good flow, and also I pulled the reed cage and the reeds look good no frays and cracks, I also held them up to a light and saw just a tiny bit of light coming from the sides of the reeds not the tips though, so I think they are ok. One thing I did see is some gummy whiteish residue in the carb, but the thing is that it was running fine then this just happened? I looked into the cylinder(from the intake), and saw no scratches or gouges, and the compression "seems" fine, no test though. Any thoughts? thanks

86 Quad R
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
i'd try pulling the carb and going through it. making sure that you blow all the jets and passages out with compressed air.

screaminta
10-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I'll clean the carb out tonight, but cant get it together until i get some new reed gaskets. Do you guys think It can be an electrical thing? I really hope not cause I only know basics about electronics (I am a mechanical engineer not electrical haha) I guess I'll try the electrical test in the sticky up top would that tell me anything? Thanks again

screaminta
10-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Ok checked the whole electrical system and am a little concerned. First off, it was a little colder than the reccomended 68F outside more like 60 ish so I dont know how bad that will be for the readings. My coil primary resistance is at .4ohms but it should be between .1-.3. I am saying that that is OK for now. The secondary is what it concerning me, with the cap off I am right where I should be at 4.15K BUT with the cap on, I have an infinite amount of resistance!! First things first, I am going to order a new cap. I also checked the stator, and the pulse generator is right in spec at 150ish ohms, but the exciter coil is a little high @ 350 ish ohms where it should be 250 max...My plan is to get a new plug cap and get it all together and go from there...what do you gusy think....any electrical gurus???? thanks.....

Aceman
10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I'd replace ANYTHING that wasn't in spec. I'd say your temperature was close enough that it wouldn't affect the resistance but I'm no expert.