PDA

View Full Version : landing hard

alpantz
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
hey everybody im looking in to getting a new suspension on my 07 ltz 400. What im wondering is what do I need to get good soft landing cause im jumping my quad pretty high now and man does it land hard not all the time but a good amount of the time. Would long travel a arms help and a extended axle and some aftermarket shocks? Why im on the subject whats the best setup for freestyle jumping as far as a arms and axles go.

Thanks

10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
long travel DOES NOT give any more wheel travel. Long travel means its just a longer shock body thats all

alpantz
10-09-2007, 02:44 PM
ok whats the advantage of having a longer shock

10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
it just fits an a-arm made for it. someone else might be better on explaining this

mx1791
10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
long travel DOES NOT give any more wheel travel. Long travel means its just a longer shock body thats all
yea ive heard that too. 400exrider707 should be able to explain this better..

ive been told LT is a more fine tuned plusher ride. smoother over little stuff/ruts while still being able to soak up big air.

allstock
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

just go the cheap way with revavles

250rmike
10-11-2007, 03:01 PM
get new shocks they will help tremendously if you have the stockers.

and by the way the deal with longtravel is that they can provide alot smoother of a ride through better adjustments. it not just to fit the longer a-arms cause you can get extended a-arms for standard travel also. but with the more precise adjustments on longtavel along with the longer dimensions of the shock the valving can be a alot smoother in turn after the bike is set up properly it will be a smoother more forgiving ride

400exrider707
10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
get new shocks they will help tremendously if you have the stockers.

and by the way the deal with longtravel is that they can provide alot smoother of a ride through better adjustments. it not just to fit the longer a-arms cause you can get extended a-arms for standard travel also. but with the more precise adjustments on longtavel along with the longer dimensions of the shock the valving can be a alot smoother in turn after the bike is set up properly it will be a smoother more forgiving ride

While I agree that the shock will be easier to set up, I wouldn't say it will be smoother. Thats not a guarantee.

Jumping is always fun on a quad, but way more fun with a good set of shocks. Since your quad already comes with decent shocks as a starting point, I would do like others suggested and just send those to get rebuilds. A lot of companies do this now. I would look at C&D racing, GT Thunder, or Derisi personally. All have great success modding the stock shocks and all three should run around $700. Your best bet is to call one of them and talk with them about what would be best for you, that is what you are paying them the money for isn't it? Long travel is nice and its also expensive. For a beginner such as yourself who really doesn't know how to adjust shocks anyways, start with some good rebuilds. Great set of shocks IMO.