PDA

View Full Version : desert fuel tank

aztecgwynn
10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Anyone out there know the physical difference between the two desert tank 4.0 gallon manufactures IMS and Clarke. Reason is gas cap leaks and i called both IMS and Clarke said both tanks use their own gas caps and one told me they use the XR thread on their caps.
I called IMS and they told me their ID mark is os under the seat I know what she is talking about looked under my 450r and there was a TRX mark under their but not under my 250r's seat.
I then called Clarke and lady told me it was under the tank and I have to physically take the tank off to look, but that didnt sound right because I did my research and I saw on the internet that a 250r had the ID under the seat and that said Clarke in big bold letters and need a cap spilling fuel all over bike and especially me while riding.
If somebody out their has any info please help and also pictures will help most definately but need response quickly going to Glamis in 3 weeks but have to fly to Virginia for 2 weeks first, thanks.

Aceman
10-09-2007, 07:27 AM
My Clarke tank has the word "Clark" molded into the plastic on the top between the gas tank cap and the front of the seat I believe. Obviously, you'd see it. So I'd say it's probably an IMS unless Clark has manufactured some tanks differently than mine.

If worst comes to worst you can always buy caps for both tanks and sell one of them. Just a thought.

Witz
10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
If you can, post a picture of your tank. We should be able to determine which brand it is from that. On the older style IMS tanks, the cure to the leak was to put an '86-'87 250R gas cap on it.

aztecgwynn
10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for helping out I found the ID tag under the tank under one of the tank mounts TRX-1.