PDA

View Full Version : Converting foot shift to stick?

07250ex
10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I've seen people make go carts and golf carts and stuff with dirt bike and like street bike engines and i can see how you can hook up a foot clutch but id be confused on how to change from the foot shift into a stick shift found in a car or truck? anybody know how?

Titanium
10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
i'd just keep it the way it is and have a slap shift. even though you still have to use the clutch.

Robin Hood
10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Hone out a sleeve into the bottom of a long shifter and slide it onto where the original shifter was. You'll need to grove it to slip on over the existing piece and not slip when you shift.

Check out the shifter and the pin on a quad and start fabricating! I'd suggest getting a micrometer of some sort to get the dimensions down.

Edit: The more I think about it, the harder it seems. I'd think you would need a different transmission/shifting mechanism since you can't just skip through gears on a dirtbike engine like you can in a car.

07250ex
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
i'd just keep it the way it is and have a slap shift. even though you still have to use the clutch.

yeah like a 1 back and 4 - 5 forward but its not the same as the
|-|-| setup

Robin Hood
10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
yeah like a 1 back and 4 - 5 forward but its not the same as the
|-|-| setup

Exactly what I was thinking. :p

07250ex
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I also think it would be awesome if yamaha made a stick shift option available for their rhino or one of the other companies made a stick shift

CannondaleRider
10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Your not going to be able to take a sequential type tranny(One down, four up, etc.)...and adapt it to an H-Pattern. Doesn't work that way.

Pretty easy to make a shifter setup for it though. Just have to run a linkage, and fab a shifter mech. If you have the fabrication ability to put a quad or bike motor into a go-kart chassis....then the shifter setup is the least of your problems.

As for the "issue" of it being, say, one down, four up....thats not really an issue. You have your shifter setup, to where the linkage allows a one forward, four back setup. Same deal as on the bike, just with your hand.

mudrunner35
10-08-2007, 11:07 PM
i'm not going to lie to you guys.... but if yamaha made a rhino with PADDLE SHIFTERS!! i swear i would sell my quad and everything i owned to have one. or if they put 1000cc engine in it...whichever comes first

Scott-300ex
10-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Just extend the shifter bar and pull it up and down.

CannondaleRider
10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Just extend the shifter bar and pull it up and down.

Although that is feasable....think of the distance that the shifter would come forward. Even if it was at your direct left side, you'd about quadruple the length of the shifter. So, you'd be also quadrupling the throw of the shifter, Thats a large throw for a setup like that. And you'd be working that tranny if you didn't pay attention to the amount of leverage available.

If you create a simple linkage...simple, meaning, not creating a system to put the shifter on your right(which wouldn't be hard at all) and just running it straight forward....then your throw is now only changed by your shift lever length. Keep it fairly short, as I would guess you would, and you have very short shifts....which is a nice touch for drivability....

chris46250r
10-10-2007, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
I also think it would be awesome if yamaha made a stick shift option available for their rhino or one of the other companies made a stick shift

Have you ever driven a Rhino? They have a "stick" shift to put it in gear. Besides you dont have to do alot of shifting when on a Rhino.:D

Scott-300ex
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Hell might as well have it electronic shifting.:D