PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil?

Helix
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
How often should one change the oil in there quad. The reason I ask...I just got back from about a 100 mile ride after a fresh oil change. I think it would roughly be 12-14 hrs. I checked my oil when I got home and it is starting to turn a blackish brown.

Thanks

10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
depends, a racer will change their oil very often. Once I see on my dipstick the oil is a darker brown I change it

my88r
10-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
depends, a racer will change their oil very often. Once I see on my dipstick the oil is a darker brown I change it

same hear

10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
1 last note USE SYNTHETIC!!! and make sure you get 4 stroke motor cycle oil. But synthetic is so much better I dont know how many times I have said this and I will continue to say it. Use synthetic and all our internals will last forever i mean it. Also synthetic disapates heat better than regular oil so your oil will last longer, make you engine run smoother, and your oil will be cooler

az300
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Run synthetic if you get 2x, 3x, or more the life out of the oil you save money in the long run. Synthetic oil in cars they say will last 25000 miles as long as you ensure the oil is at the right level even if the car burns oil.

gojk
10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by az300
Run synthetic if you get 2x, 3x, or more the life out of the oil you save money in the long run. Synthetic oil in cars they say will last 25000 miles as long as you ensure the oil is at the right level even if the car burns oil.

This is only partly true, the synthetic oils may take longer to break down, but the engine still puts alot of by products in the oil which lessens its effectiveness and in some cases, causes it to be corrosive.

gojk
10-09-2007, 12:08 AM
But none the less, with an engine the runs as hot as the 400, a synthetic is the only way to go.

Helix
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I've always used Honda HP 4 (gold bottle) in my quad, street bike and all small engines. Its a synthetic blend but not full synthetic. I guess I could switch to the full synthetic oil.

svahle
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree that synthetic is better oil. BUT, it still gets just as dirty and the dirt is abrasive. I use synthetic but still change my oil on the same interval as before (every 10-15 hours depending on how hard I've been riding and the environment (dust, mud, sand, etc)). I believe it is important not to give the impression that synthetic oil is the solution to avoid frequent oil changes.

JBDIV
10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
IMO, it has a lot to do with how you ride your bike.

The conditions you ride in and how hard you ride your bike have a lot to do with oil life.

Personaly, I ride a lot in West Virginia. The terrain is pretty harsh. Lots of rocks, mud, water, and steep hill climbs. Combine that with the fact that I some times like to think I am a GNCC racer, I am pretty hard on my bike. :D

Therefore, I pretty much always change my oil after a 2 day riding trip.

My thought is simply this, "Oil is relatively cheap compared to rebuilding and engine".

And I agree with what others have said. Synthetic is great stuff. Nevertheless, once the oil starts looking dirty it is.

Many people forget that oil does more than lubricate. It cools and cleans the engine as well. Hence, that is why most oils contain a detergent.

Hope this helps!

Helix
10-12-2007, 05:51 PM
So does the air filter just filter out what you would consider bigger particles. Allowing the microscopic particles to enter your motor and collect in your oil? I'm just guessing here. I was just wondering how the condition you ride in affects your oil? If I guessed correctly, wouldn't those small particles hurt your cylinder wall over time?

Thanks

flauge
10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by JBDIV
IMO, it has a lot to do with how you ride your bike.

The conditions you ride in and how hard you ride your bike have a lot to do with oil life.

Personaly, I ride a lot in West Virginia. The terrain is pretty harsh. Lots of rocks, mud, water, and steep hill climbs. Combine that with the fact that I some times like to think I am a GNCC racer, I am pretty hard on my bike. :D

Therefore, I pretty much always change my oil after a 2 day riding trip.

My thought is simply this, "Oil is relatively cheap compared to rebuilding and engine".

And I agree with what others have said. Synthetic is great stuff. Nevertheless, once the oil starts looking dirty it is.

Many people forget that oil does more than lubricate. It cools and cleans the engine as well. Hence, that is why most oils contain a detergent.

Hope this helps! I could'nt have said it better. How long the oil lasts depends a lot on how you ride. I run synthetic and when Im just playing around the house I could probably go a month before an oil change. But scince I started racing xc the oil will be almost black after one race, and thats even with me changing the oil right before I run. :eek: My best guess is that maybe it breaks down from the heat in racing especially in the summertime.

10-13-2007, 01:11 PM
yeah I live in Florida which in the summer its in the 90's out there and now its in the 80's. Its already hot out and then the temperatures the EX makes breaks down the oil quick. I checked my oil before I went riding and it was alright then I ran an XC type course 5 times in a row last weekend on top of riding for 4 hours prior to and I am really due for an oil change. if your just cruising around then you can g a while, but if your always pegging it out and romping on it for a while you need more frequent oil changes

flauge
10-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Yea I think thats another good reason why mines so black after a race. Ive got it strung out the majority of the time trying to keep up with those 450's:devil: .