PDA

View Full Version : 02'400ex wont start

LI400EX
10-08-2007, 06:56 AM
My 02 400EX,when you turn on the key the neutral light does not come on therefore it will not start. I was pushing it back, due to no reverse! and pushed the lights in. The quad was still running, I shut it off and then it wold not start again, it will run if I pop the clutch, then the neutral light flickers, ?and the lights do work. Any suggestions

hornetgod13
10-08-2007, 09:01 AM
You might have two problems that could cause this. Even if the neutral light doesn't come on, you should be able to start a 400EX unless something else had been done to the quad. Here's what I think are the issues with your quad.

1.) First the problem rests in the clutch safety switch wiring curcuit. The 400EX has a safety feature that prevents the starter from engaging unless it's in neutral or the clutch is pulled it. Many install aftermarket clutch handles and fail to connect or do a poor job connecting the two wires that went to the stock clutch handle. That may be part of the problem.

2.) The other is your neutral wiring is fualty. Start down at the bottom of the motor, just under the gear shifter. There is a 2 prong connector down there that can come loose. If not, chase the wiring up and concentrate at any connections and/or look for any other defects.

Once you get it figured out, come back and post what fixed it. There might be others out there with a similar problem or might even search the forum in the future looking for a cure for their quads "No Start Blues"

QuadManiac
10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
There are several cable connectors under the front plastic in the general vicinity of the rear of the headlights. Most of these come from the ignition and bar switches. If you pushed the lights in you likely popped one of those connectors. Pull the front plastic (10 min job) and find which connection you have loosened, re-connect and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck!

Exrider434
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

2.) The other is your neutral wiring is fualty. Start down at the bottom of the motor, just under the gear shifter. There is a 2 prong connector down there that can come loose.

Thats just on the 05's and up the 99-04's only have one, due to no reverse.;)

badquad
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Check the fuse down by the battery. Sometimes when that goes out, you can push start it and it will run, and the neutral light flickers. But if your lights work, that might not be it, but its worth a try. See if that is it.