PDA

View Full Version : Keyway problems

matt1106
10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
My cousin and i have been fixing up his 88 250r, its all stock except a pipe and silencer, but every couple times we go riding a keyway cooks, wut could be causing this

wilkin250r
10-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Let me make sure I understand the problem. You are shearing the flywheel key every time you go riding?

My first thought is that you are not torquing the flywheel nut down enough. Check the torque specs.

If that doesn't fix the problem, post back on here, and we'll go from there. It might not be seating correctly, but you need some machinist's dye to determine that, and not everybody has that sitting around in their garage.

redrooster310r
10-08-2007, 05:18 AM
maybe its worn or installed upside down..... curve goes up.????

RichM1983
10-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Curve goes down. You also need to lock the crank from turning to torque it on correctly. Best way to do it is to put the motor in gear and have a buddy hold the rear brakes while you torque it on.

Aceman
10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I use an impact myself.

Just repeating what Rich said, the woodruff key's radius does go down.

86 Quad R
10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by RichM1983
Curve goes down. You also need to lock the crank from turning to torque it on correctly. Best way to do it is to put the motor in gear and have a buddy hold the rear brakes while you torque it on.

i no like that idea veddy well. :(

as mentioned it sounds as tho the fly wheel nut isnt torqued enough. what ya should do is make sure that both surfaces are mating well by cleaning them up with "fine" emory cloth and then use an impact to tighten it up.