PDA

View Full Version : cosigning for quad. possible to sue if no payments by owner?

z400guy
10-07-2007, 08:39 PM
ok, heres the deal.
a girl co-signed for her boyfriend. they broke up. he stopped making payments. is there anything she can do to get out of this? i'd hate to see her credit go down the drain. i did see where its possible to sue him, but not sure the details. anyone thats had this situation and can help would be great.

thanks

honduh440
10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
negative. she is fully responsible if the guy doesnt pay thats the purpose of co-signing obviously

wilkin250r
10-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Indeed, she is responsible. That's how it works. What part of "cosigning" did she not understand?

bwamos
10-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Yup, yup.
She is required to make any payments for the ATV.

However she CAN sue (if she can show that she has taken over the payments) for posession of the ATV. That way she can sell the ATV and recoup some of the losses.

JJs450r
10-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Yup, yup.
She is required to make any payments for the ATV.

However she CAN sue (if she can show that she has taken over the payments) for posession of the ATV. That way she can sell the ATV and recoup some of the losses.

sounds about right

54warrior
10-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Hmmm, I'll bet we see her on one of the gazillion court shows that are out now like Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, Peoples Court (that lady's somewhat hot for an old bird, would like to see her w/o the robe), etc.

z400guy
10-08-2007, 06:09 AM
ok, what if she can prove this guy is making a decent income and can afford the payments. He's just being an *** and not paying.

400exrider707
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by z400guy
ok, what if she can prove this guy is making a decent income and can afford the payments. He's just being an *** and not paying.

Does not matter.... If it was just him and not a co-signer, then his credit would drop and the ATV would get reposessed. She cosigned so she legally accepted responsibility if the first party fell through.

Scro
10-08-2007, 10:50 AM
If he stopped payments, wouldn't this show up on his credit line as well as hers if both their names are on the note? Seems to me that if he is just doing this in spite of her, it's going to hurt him just as much.

mineralgrey01gt
10-08-2007, 10:51 AM
the co-signer is always responsible for what they co-sign for if the other person does not make payments

bwamos
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Scro
If he stopped payments, wouldn't this show up on his credit line as well as hers if both their names are on the note? Seems to me that if he is just doing this in spite of her, it's going to hurt him just as much.

Yes, both will have a "failure to make payment" on their credit. He sounds irresponsible enough that he probably has crappy credit anyway, thus the need for the original co-sign.

If she co-signed for the loan, her name should also be on the title. I would check with the bank. She may be able to just take, sell it, and pay off the loan.

She should call the mortgage company to see who's names are on the title, and work out an agreable resolution. A couple grand is not worth bad credit. It will cost you a LOT more than that in the long run.

z400guy
10-08-2007, 11:35 AM
so if she started making the payments for say 6 months. Could she sue and atleast get the quad? i guess my question is, how long would she have to make payments before she could sue.

z400guy
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
also, this isnt a couple thousand dollar quad. its a 2007 ltr450

Aceman
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe it's time for a lawyer? Giving a lawyer a couple hundred bucks to call this "ex-boyfriend" might get the gears turning. He sounds like a real winner.

z400guy
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
yeah, he's a real tool. i'll let her see this thread and let her decide. thanks for all the replies

hardtrailz400
10-09-2007, 11:27 AM
You got be careful if she sues for possesion of the quad. If he is enuf of a dick not pay for it then, she may get a beat-up or parts missing quad, if he finds out she is taking it. The easiest thing to do is get a couple guys and just go get and help her sell it so she can be done with the douchebag.

Good Luck

z400guy
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
yeah, well he's already has been in trouble with the law for stealing quads and dirtbikes. Hopefully this will help her stance in court if she goes.