PDA

View Full Version : Is this TRUE?

GOTFEAR
10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I was doing some research on this forum and came across one saying there is a 5th gear speed sensor is this right if so were is it

QuadManiac
10-08-2007, 01:51 AM
My 660 factory schematic shows it there... speed sensor. Although I do not believe it's for 5th gear alone... there is no 5th gear sensor in the bike. I suspect it senses output shaft speed, and since you can't get to the real high rotation rates on the output shaft till you're in 5th gear, it's just called that.

It's on the right rear of the case, I believe. However, no one has yet been able to tell me what purpose it serves. Again, I suspect that it may be used by the CDI to begin to retard timing when you are reaching speeds that Yamaha deemed to be 'dangerous'. So to prevent you from suing thier butts cuz you creamed yourself by going too fast, they limit how fast you can go.

Can anybody confirm this? If so, can it be defeated by removal or disconnection?

Of course, it may have been a carry-over from a previous use of the basic engine case and was used at one time as a speedometer sender? But I wouldn't expect them to install a part that costs them money if they weren't going to use it for some practical purpose on this machine, and it is wired into the current CDI (at least on my 660 schematic).

Anybody know anything concrete about its function?

RaptorLover
10-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah its true ....It stops your quads in 5th gear at top speed , or not 'stop' , know what I mean ? If you plug it out it let your Raptor rev higher at top speed (5th gear only) Here is a pic.....

It's that little white plug there on the left side of the quad almost knee high , but note that it only will take effect if your quad have the power to turn the wheels that fast...

laplap
10-10-2007, 02:30 AM
that you will get a warning light after awhile you just have to plug it back in and run it a little till light go's off.or use this http://oversizethrottle.com/speed_sensor

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 02:38 AM
So i guess I'm gonna have to figure out how the speed sensor works so I can design my own 'disabler' for a lot less than $25. I'll keep ya posted.

laplap
10-14-2007, 02:12 AM
really is not that much

QuadManiac
10-14-2007, 12:11 PM
No, it's not. But I'm an electrical engineer, and it bugs me to pay $25 for something that's worth, probably, $2.

RaptorLover
10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
No, it's not. But I'm an electrical engineer, and it bugs me to pay $25 for something that's worth, probably, $2.

A man must make his profit.... ;)

QuadManiac
10-15-2007, 03:20 PM
And he's welcome to sell as many as he can... to anyone but me! :devil: