PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket, What Kind??

03'400exrookie
10-07-2007, 05:01 PM
I know this has been discussed on here way too much. I just want everyones opinions on what type of head gasket would be best for a 400ex with a 440 kit. I bought it used and have not done it yet. The guy I bought it from says this is a re-occuring thing.
I don't really want to have to change this thing out every other week.

Big - D Racing
10-08-2007, 12:58 AM
The best head gasket you can ever get is the steel stock one. But get it from Duncan Racing. They take the stock gasket and machine it to the size piston you have. 440 is usually an 89.00 mm. It costs $40 but is well worth it. Especially if you go with something cheaper say a cometic that costs like $20 and then it does blow. Then you have to take your top end apart and buy another gasket. Do it right the first time and don't worry about it blowing. Key with the 440 is torque it to the OEM settings if you over torque it, it will pull the head studs out and blow, under torque it and it will blow. Get the stock gasket and torque it to OEM which I believe is 33 ft/lbs (double check the service manual).

03'400exrookie
10-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I imagine I'll learn a lot as soon as I tear this top end apart. I have to do that first just to confirm the bore size, and see if this guy did anything else.
While I'm there, if it is a 440, would it be worth putting a stage 1 or 2 cam in there. It has stock headers/pipes for now.

Big - D Racing
10-08-2007, 08:40 AM
stage 2, headers don't matter so much by themselves. If you want to pull the true potential out of it get a complete race exhaust like the duncan fatboy 4 (which I currently run) or the sparks x-6 (which I use to run).

Ruby Soho
10-08-2007, 08:42 AM
the stock gasket works best, its what i have. i bought it from my local honda dealer and just made it bigger myself. it works perfect.

your gonna replace it if you dont put hd studs in though.

stage 2 or 3 cam. stock pipe will work but it doesnt give much power (i have a stock pipe on mine.. its noticalbe power but you will get so much more with a pipe)

edit:

also if it has been happening (gaskets) the cylinder may be warped. check it, and if it is get it surfaced because even with studs itll happen again

03'400exrookie
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Did you have to take it to a machine shop to install the HD studs?

Ruby Soho
10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
yes. gt thunder can do it for you, but i found a local machine shop that did it for a good price. you just need to give them the depths or whatever that GT thunder gives you and give your jug to the machine shop. you absolutely HAVE to get them in straight and accurately.