View Full Version : outerwears?

bcg717
10-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Is the outerwears a good purchase? I'm just running a k&n with no lid and i've herd thats not good. Also, where is the best place to purchase it??

10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
rockymountain I believe is te cheapest for the filter outerwears. but you can get the filter outerwears and airbox lid outerwears at motosport

bcg717
10-07-2007, 06:06 PM
would you get both or just one or the other?

trx400EXtreme
10-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by bcg717
Is the outerwears a good purchase? I'm just running a k&n with no lid and i've herd thats not good. Also, where is the best place to purchase it?? YES GET ONE!!! your filter will get REALLY dirty and thats not good. rockymountain is normally a good place to buy anything you need.

trx400EXtreme
10-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bcg717
would you get both or just one or the other? all you really need is the outerwear for the filter.

10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
it helps to have both though. like double protection but still the same airflow, what can be better than that. I am making my own EHS racing lid. I am taking my stock lid and cutting out most of the top part and getting the outerwears airbox cover and glueing i or something. I also have the outerwears on the filter itself but dusty or wet conditions its worth having both

espergre
10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
where have you guys found the air box cover outerwears at? I cant find it listed on rockymountain or motosport

QuadManiac
10-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Example... I have 2 400ex's, both with K&N's and no lids, only one with an Outerwear.

After a month or so of riding, nearly the same time on each, I decided it was time to clean the filters. Pulled out the naked K&N, he was brown - filthy with the dust and dirt from the rides.

Pulled off the outerwear from the other guy, and the K&N was almost as clean and red (from the filter oil) as it was when I last cleaned and oiled it. The outerwear was dirty, but it cleaned up in a jiffy. The airbox beneath the outerwear had a lot more dirt and crap in it than in the naked filter's box, but that makes sense. It just falls off the outerwear eventually.

I'm getting Outerwears for all my toys now.

400funex
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by espergre
where have you guys found the air box cover outerwears at? I cant find it listed on rockymountain or motosport

http://www.smimotorsports.com/
I got mine here, $20 not to bad a price. However, I live about 5 minutes from the shop so that makes it easy. I just cut most of the middle out from my lid and used the remainder to clamp down the outerwear; the Velcro that comes with it kind of sucks. I also have an outerwear on my filter and it stays really clean, but I ride mostly in the sand.

XXXRACER165
10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I fabricated my own, I took and cut a good size hole in my airbox cover. Took a flat sheet of outerwear and made some aluminum accents and put that on over the hole. It keeps water and dirt from getting in there, I'll post a pic of it later.

dariusld
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I fabricated my own, I took and cut a good size hole in my airbox cover. Took a flat sheet of outerwear and made some aluminum accents and put that on over the hole. It keeps water and dirt from getting in there, I'll post a pic of it later.

This is what I want to do because the Outerware's velcro is no good. Got any pictures?

Hondamaster5505
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
i personally hate outerwears.
My friend had one on his banshee, and crap went right through em. The filters were dirty as hell.
Thats why i run foam :D

QuadManiac
10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Sure the opposite with mine. To each his own.

300exOH
10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
This is what I want to do because the Outerware's velcro is no good. Got any pictures?

I did the same thing...It's a 300ex lid but you get the idea. The aluminum ring is bolted on in the pic but if I had it to do over again I would use rivets instead.

XXXRACER165
10-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Here is what I did.

dariusld
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Nice pictures guys and great job on your lids. Thank You. Our forum kicks butt, most of the time.

My filter is way cleaner with the outwears lid cover on, but I wonder how much it cuts down airflow.

XXXRACER165
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
They have such large surface area, I don't think it restricts it too much.

450rJam
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
just my opinion but I dont think you need both, you only need one quality oil filter, fuel filter, I run the outerwears on the filter on everything

running both has got to restrict the flow some, and isnt that why you bought the k/n ? for the max flow

10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
true but even with both outerwears your still getting better flow than stock. I doubt the the outerwears air box cover resricts that much. If a 1 3/8" hole that people cut in to get more flow give them more flow then having a much greater area with a little protection shouldnt resrict too much. Who knows we'll see maybe someone will do a dyno with many different things.

XXXRACER165
10-10-2007, 05:43 PM
This one is easy, my 440 makes around 42 hp with the cover. Without it, you won't be making that much power too long. It will suck dirt. I've had a K&N and when I pulled the filter to clean it (which I did thoroughly and properly) there was a film of dirt in the boot inside the filter. So I went to foam and it was better but anyway it shouldn't matter the difference in power is minimal.

10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
did you have the outerwears on the filter itself?

dariusld
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
did you have the outerwears on the filter itself?

Alot of threads get confusing when talking about two different things. The lid cover and the filter cover, I don't know which they are talking about.

10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
yeah if you have the filter cover your are fine, you might get a little something if your in extremely dusty conditions. If you have both the lid and filter covers then you are perfectly safe while still maintaining great flow. If you just have the lid cover and not the filter cover you are going to get things inside

bcg717
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I bought the cover for the filter. It came in ups today from rockymountainatv. Thanks for everyones help/opinions.

04TRX400EX
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
YES GET ONE!!! your filter will get REALLY dirty and thats not good. rockymountain is normally a good place to buy anything you need.

Absolutely what he said. Outwears and K&N filters go together like peanut butter and jelly :D

07-05-2008, 07:03 PM
old thread but bringing it up again because I have a question to ask. I got my new outerwear today and I am wondering now which route to take. I dont want to sacrifice air flow too much (I think the EHS type lid will restrict the flow too much). The way they say to put on the outerwear air box cover still leaves gaps where the clips are which somewhat defeats its purpose of blocking everything. I think it would be much easier to remove and install if it was attached to the lid. How would it be instead of using aluminum and bolts or rivets, to just velcro it to the lid or use double sided weather stripping? My main concern is cutting the outerwear and it freying or coming apart. Could I cut it and sew on velcro and now worry about it freying or coming apart? Should I scratch the whole idea?

oldschool73
07-05-2008, 09:44 PM
i bought an outerwears from motosport.com for my K&N on my 400ex, around $19.00. It is cheap insurance from engine damage, just do it and don't be a loser. in a year if I told your it was 900.00 for a engine rebuild or you could of spent $19.00 on an outerwears what would you do. it is the cheapest insurance you can buy. and no I don't work for outerwears , just believe in a good product.

07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by oldschool73
i bought an outerwears from motosport.com for my K&N on my 400ex, around $19.00. It is cheap insurance from engine damage, just do it and don't be a loser. in a year if I told your it was 900.00 for a engine rebuild or you could of spent $19.00 on an outerwears what would you do. it is the cheapest insurance you can buy. and no I don't work for outerwears , just believe in a good product.

not sure if your trying to tell me that but I have 2 outerwears already. 1 on the filter and I just bought the air box cover outerwear. I was asking if the outerwear would frey if I cut it

Gatekeeper
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Had mine on with velcro but the velcro strips actually came apart.
Did a quick ghetto fix
I cut an old outerwear and ran a bead of black RTV around the cutout on the top of the lid then pressed the outerwear into the RTV and smeared a little more over the edges of the OWear.

Was supposed to be a temporary fix. but it is still firmly attached and water tight 6 months later!
Lol --Redneck engineering at its finest!