PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of new carb or even necessary

the fat kid
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
hey fellas, i got a friend of mine trying to keep up with my dvx :muscle::p , so hes looking into the 416 kit and hot cams. hes wondering if he NEEDS a carb, weve read that it helps alot on throttle response but if its not necessary then i dont htink he wants to pay 400 bux + for an edelbrock. if you do upgrade to even a 450 carb is htere a huge difference power wise? thanks fellas in advance...

edit:

hes already got it jetted, k and n filter. and a dmc 4 afterburner full system...

Wheelie
10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
450R Carb--

Pro's--

Well documented mod, low cost, good power gains and killer throttle response.

Cons--

Not a plug and play carb--requires some light fabrication to make it work.

Conclusion--if he wants plug and play--buy a FCR for about 450. If he doesn't mind doing some work--install a 450R carb for under 150 if you find one in good condition used. Either way the power gains are worth the money.

the fat kid
10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
thanks for the quick response, so the gains of anycarb would be a noticable difference with a setup like hed have...?

oleboy87
10-07-2007, 12:13 PM
sorry for imposing on your tread but im jsut wondering what kind of mods do you have to do to get the 450 carb to work?

Wheelie
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Do a search, or look at the stick at the top of this forum. This subject has been well documented.

Fat Kid--

The carb would deliver nice gains with that setup--well worth the money.

zrpilot
10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
sorry for imposing on your tread but im jsut wondering what kind of mods do you have to do to get the 450 carb to work?

Here is my write-up. I think it is well documented, but let me know if your have questions

MY 450R carb install (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314423)