PDA

View Full Version : lightened flywheel

hondarules
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
ive read that a lightened flywheel takes away hp but it also revs faster is the lose of hp worth the faster revs u get

hawk-trx
10-06-2007, 10:46 PM
i tryed one a couple years ago. the trail tech -4. i dont know how they could loose any hp cuase it has nothing to do with the making of hp. so i dont think there is any loss of hp. also i couldnt fell my motor rev any quicker. the only thing i did notice is my quad didnt launch quite as hard. ( in the sand with paddles)

to me its not worth messing with.

ltothaj1
10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
i have a curtis sparks lightened flywheel in my 05' and u cant really tell a diff. in how much quicker it revs, but it doesn't bog near as much on hills when u hit them in a taller gear...u dont have to use your clutch as much...i like mine

hondarules
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
so the flywheel doesnt cause a lose of power?

ltothaj1
10-08-2007, 05:53 AM
definitely not...stalling is a little easier with a lightened flywheel..but u can ride in a taller gear more often

hawk-trx
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by hondarules
so the flywheel doesnt cause a lose of power? if anything it should gain some. the motor has to spin the flywheel so it takes power to spin it. and spining a heavier flywheel should take more effort.

i dont think a dyno can read this as hp cuase the motor is spinning up to the same rpm with a heavy or light flywheel at peak hp. the difference is that it should get to max hp at the given rpm quicker with a light flywheel.

no more or less power, just get to max power quicker or slower.

400exrider707
10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Anyone feel like calling Laz @ GT Thunder and ask him about them? I know he stated before they were a bad idea on 400ex's, not sure about these motors. Makes the quad slower. Revs a little faster, but still slower. Dont ask me to explain, but I know that's what he said. I've talked to cals400ex about this before and he said he bought one against Laz's wishes and said it was indeed slower.

hondarules
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
thanks for the info i may give it a shot

cals400ex
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
i have not been on these boards forever. i actually don't even ride a ton anymore. i am in dental school now. 33 credit hours semester blows. also, i bought another camaro so i am playing with that quite a bit.

anyways, my 400ex was several bike lengths slower with the lightened flywheel. its not really really noticable when driving it but there is a decent loss. most people will say they make you faster, many of them have lightened flywheels. most just don't know. they add a part and think the bike is faster. i did a lot of testing with both setups and no matter what rpm i shifted at, it was always slower than with the stock flywheel. i have read this from a few people with 450r's too. not many will say it once again. lets put it this way, if i was given $100 and the lightened flywheel for free, i still would not use it...

RagunCajun
10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
the point of lightening the flywheel is to REV faster, that's it. It gives the engine less weight to turn. It should make the bike rev faster. Less traction is a negtative thing about it though.

Less traction? yes. Think of 2 stroke dirtbikes and how they add a heavyer flywheel for more traction/less hard hitting of a powerband.

It has nothing to do with hp. It isnt an engine mod. I have one on my banshee, got the guy to did my port job. Costed $40 to lighten it.

BTW the above pertains to 2 strokes....maybe you 4 stroker's are different.

hondarules
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
i dunno i dont think im gonna do it now ive got my eye on a fcr carb an another air box thanks for the input

Wingnut
10-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I race XC and tried one. It may be fine for other types of riding, but they aren't much for woods riding. I had a -4 Trailtech and I really didn't feel any performance difference. However I did have to slip the clutch more with it and that resulted in clutches not lasting half as long. I took it back out and have no regrets for doing so. The problem is that with less rotating mass inside the engine the RPM's drop quicker when resistance is applied and that results in bogging or stalling. Or you compensate by slipping the clutch more and all the power doesn't make it to the rear wheels.