PDA

View Full Version : OVERHEATING After starter clutch recall

wildheer
10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi to all, i have the following situation and i am wondering if anyone else has seen this or if anyone knows what the possible problem might be. I am going on my second year with my 06ER 450. I took it in for the recall on the starter clutch. When i rode the first time i noticed a coolant smell and that coolant slowly trickles out of the overflow underneath. I assumed it just had some excess from the refilling by the mechanic. the fluid level has gotten down to the lower level on the overflow marker and fluid still drips VERY slowly out of the overflow. The fan also has started to come on and off and i have NEVER seen the fan come on before this. This all took place in about a 2 hour medium speed trail ride in mid 80's temps. The light does not come on. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know if this could be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am concerned the mechanic could have done something wrong.
thanks in advance

the Z Man
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Make sure your overflow hose is sticking in your steering stem, it needs to be higher that the resevoure bottle, mine did hte same thing til I put it back where it belongs...

wildheer
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
i just checked it and the hose is fine. thank you for the suggestion.
Any other ideas?

Turboderf
10-05-2007, 07:22 PM
maybe it needs a new thermostat

wildheer
10-05-2007, 11:56 PM
dont believe it would be the thermostat or really any part thats gone bad. If there is something wrong it would have to relate to something the mechanic might have done incorrectly during the recall work. It would be too coincidental for a part to have gone bad the very first time after the work was done, when everything was fine going in. Is there anything during that process that he could have done, maybe concerning the water pump or the water joint pipe and O ring??

tfuchs
10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Chances are that they didnt replace the o- rings in the water pump when they had it apart. take it back to the sealer and bring it to their attention and have it fixed.