PDA

View Full Version : overheating after starter clutch recall???

wildheer
10-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi to all, i have the following situation and i am wondering if anyone else has seen this or if anyone knows what the possible problem might be. I am going on my second year with my 06ER 450. I took it in for the recall on the starter clutch. When i rode the first time i noticed a coolant smell and that coolant slowly trickles out of the overflow underneath. I assumed it just had some excess from the refilling by the mechanic. the fluid level has gotten down to the lower level on the overflow marker and fluid still drips VERY slowly out of the overflow. The fan also has started to come on and off and i have NEVER seen the fan come on before this. This all took place in about a 2 hour medium speed trail ride in mid 80's temps. The light does not come on. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know if this could be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am concerned the mechanic could have done something wrong.
thanks in advance

jshtex
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
You know you put this in the YFZ section right?

wildheer
10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
yeah, sorry, i clicked on the wrong one and didnt realize it until after. But actually i am guessing the same kind of issue could occure in the Y. So, maybe it will help.
thanks

10-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by wildheer
yeah, sorry, i clicked on the wrong one and didnt realize it until after. But actually i am guessing the same kind of issue could occure in the Y. So, maybe it will help.
thanks

nah, the yfz's don't have starting issues...unlike my junk honda...anyone wanna trade a similarly equipped 06 yfz for my honda? i'll travel to you...:D ...

but seriously...if some one does...send me a pm

jshtex
10-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by wildheer
thanks

Actually they yfz doesn't have starter clutch issues, but they definatly can leak some water. The yfz's (at least thru 06) have water pump seal issues.

Good luck with it though.

venison
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
make sure that you clean the radiator really well every time you ride it. Even if the fins aren't totally blocked off just a little baked on mud will cause a bike to run hotter than normal.