PDA

View Full Version : do I need a pulse generator?

mineralgrey01gt
10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Do I need a pulse generator even if im not running lights? My brother "claims" that with it unplugged he felt a weak spark. Im having serious problems with this stock ignition and if it keeps up much longer im going to a cr250 ignition

wilkin250r
10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, you absolutely DO need a pulse generator. It sets all your timing, it's the trigger for the spark.

Let's keep with the "trigger" analogy, and compare it all to a gun. The bullet is your spark, the gunpowder is your exciter coil, and the pulse generator is your trigger.

The gunpowder provides the "power", but it doesn't fire by itself, right? Much the same way, your exciter coil provides power by charging up a capacitor in the CDI, it provides the "energy".

Like I said, the pulse generator is the "trigger". Just like a gun trigger tells the gunpowder when to fire, the pulse generator tells the CDI when to fire the spark.

As you can see, both the exciter coil AND the pulse generator are necessary for your ignition.

mineralgrey01gt
10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
so technically it wouldnt fire without it right? It fired 3 times already without it even hooked up. I have it and can put it back on but ive heard some bad things about the Answer Roost Boost I have.

wilkin250r
10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
That doesn't sound right at all.

I don't know how your are set up, but it shouldn't fire at all. It's like a light coming on without flicking the switch. It doesn't make any sense, it's not supposed to work like that.

And I'm not saying this because my uncle's friend's brother unhooked a purple wire on his 1979 dirtbike and it didn't run right. I'm saying this because I'm an expert in electronics.

Are you SURE it was the pulse generator that was unhooked? It doesn't make any sense, it shouldn't fire.

It WILL fire and run without the lighting coil hooked up, that's not necessary to run. But the pulse generator is necessary to run.

If you want to get more in-depth, I can.

mineralgrey01gt
10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
its an Answer Roost Boost if that helps. Maybe its the voltage regulator? I may have gotten the 2 mixed up

wilkin250r
10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
The "Answer Roost Boost" was supposed to be a spark enhancer. I have never come across the Answer Roost Boost in particular, but all other similar "spark enhancers" install inline in the spark plug wire. I assume the Answer product is similar, and probably provides similar gains (none).

Can you take a picture of it, even with a cell phone or anything?

The voltage regulator shouldn't be a problem. It only affects the lights, it shouldn't affect the ignition at all. Many people remove the voltage regulator completely.

mineralgrey01gt
10-05-2007, 07:56 PM
sorry man, im not around the bike right now. I can tell you this though. Without the Answer Roost Boost on it, the harness is set up like a CR250 ignition from the way it looks. Just a stator, coil and CDI.

rebelbanshee
10-07-2007, 07:27 AM
sounds like confusion with terminology. The pulse generator is inside the flywheel/stator housing. It sits right near the flywheel and is "tripped" by a nub on the flywheel triggering the spark. This is not the same as the roostboost, which many say does nothing at all.

mineralgrey01gt
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
sounds like confusion with terminology. The pulse generator is inside the flywheel/stator housing. It sits right near the flywheel and is "tripped" by a nub on the flywheel triggering the spark. This is not the same as the roostboost, which many say does nothing at all.

oh ok, thanks a lot for the help man. You also Wilkin250r. Looks like this bad boy is ready to rock so possibly ill be posting up a vid of it up and running within the next week as soon as I get all the little bugs out of it. Thanks again for the help yall.

my88r
10-07-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
oh ok, thanks a lot for the help man. You also Wilkin250r. Looks like this bad boy is ready to rock so possibly ill be posting up a vid of it up and running within the next week as soon as I get all the little bugs out of it. Thanks again for the help yall. [/QUOT

i will be waitin:macho

mineralgrey01gt
10-07-2007, 12:25 PM
^^^^hopefully not too long :)