PDA

View Full Version : what programmable ignition is better...

Hondarider440ex
10-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I was wondering which ignition is better, which one has more features, and if they are really worth the money

msd ignition,dyna ignition,and the vortex ignition

dragex400
10-05-2007, 06:11 AM
I tried to put on the dyna 7 times. It kept burning up as soon as I would get to mid rev. I worked with dyna engineers and guys from fast by gast to get a dyna to work on my 400 and it just kept burning them up. They did replace each time it broke and after the 7th time I asked for a full refund and they gave it too me. I went with the MSD and I like it alot. It is a bit more complex to hook up because you have to run almost a completley new wiring harness. It comes with the wires, the ignition box, a new high output coil and a plug wire. You're electrical will be all msd. It works well plus it also has a hole shot rev limiter you can hook up. There is alot of work in programming all of these ignitions. I can't tell you about a vortex, I never messed around with it. My recommendation is the MSD. I hope this helps.

matt1106
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm not convinced that any of them are worth what they charge for them

dragex400
10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I don't know if it is worth the money either. I drag race on a dirt track and use the ignition with track conditions. You can advance the MSD and you can feel an instant power increase. You can also raise the rev limit to 12500. You can also rev limit your holeshot, you can adjust the shape of your curve. I use all these features but if I didn't drag race I would never spend the money on one of these programmable ignitions. I would probebly just buy a rev box. Just me 2 cents. I only use my atv for drag racing it is not fit to be on a trail so I gear my mods for dragging.

Hondarider440ex
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I race motorcross and i hardly ever hit the rev limiter so would the msd ignition even be worth buying

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
dragex400

All I do with my 400 is drag race as well on dirt. And i was wondering how all the features on the msd worked like the hole**** launch and things. And also what the advantages and disadvantages the msd had over the dyna. Anyone you could give me aboout these would be great so I can buy the correct one because these things arent real cheap.

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I really dont know why it posted above like it did but was tlaking about the hole shot launch and it eidted out. But anyone with info on these would be great help.

drew416ex
12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I havnt personally used the msd, but I have seen them used and they are awesome. it would work great for anything, mx, drag, xc, etc. since it has so many different programming options.

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Is there one taht is suppose to be ettter than the others or do you know. I know the dyna is 300 plus another 100 for software and the msd is 530 and doesnt have any software need for it. I was wondering if they are equal or what. I think I am leaning towards the msd right now. But really not for sure yet

project400ex19
12-10-2007, 06:49 PM
what's the price of an MSD ignition and do you have to be a rocket scientist to program it or is it fairly easy?

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
The Msd is $530 and I think it is kind of compliced to oput in but I am not real sure. But it cant be to bad.

project400ex19
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by blue_ex_rider
The Msd is $530 and I think it is kind of compliced to oput in but I am not real sure. But it cant be to bad.

does that come with the computer program to program the module or is that extr*****$. Like the Vortex I think it is, it's 300 for the box and 100 for the program.

drew416ex
12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
As far as i understand it doesnt need a program to set it up. And it comes with directions for instalation so it cant be too bad.

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
The MSd doesnt ahve a software to go with it. But it does come with a new coil and new plug wire. I ahve heard alot of good things about the MSD but they are little more expensive. I dont know much about the features on the vortek I havent talked with them yet do ylou have any info on them. I wish I could find one with nitrous settings because i run nitrous and would like to ahve it setup threw that with the timing. I have a non programmable dyna right now but I have heard the programmable ones have some problems.

j450rking
12-10-2007, 08:45 PM
i have the msd and i like it but it's not worth it relly at least for what i do. it's not hard to program. go on msd's site and it tells you how to put them in so you know what you are getting yourself into. oh and be carefull if you go to test the coil i tested mine one day and it tazered my ***! lol

blue_ex_rider
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Well could you explain to me how the hole shot launch works on there. I really dont understand it . this feature seems like it would be great for drag racing since that is all do. As what kind of rididng do you do that you dont think it is worth it.

j450rking
12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
well i ride just about everything but i don't race so i don't need a launch limiter. and i got my msd used and it didn't come with anything for it and from how the directions talk about the launch limiter it's somthing you have to get exstra.