PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock carb any good? how do i tune it?

racinjason40
10-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi I am just wondering if edelbrock carbs are any good? How tuneable are they? and do they make a noticable difference? What jet size should i start out with? Has a 426 bore in it. Thanks

matt1106
10-05-2007, 08:07 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, i've been looking at them and they are suppost to be top of the line, completely adjustable, but i havent run into anybody who has one. I was interested in getting one until i found out they dont have a choke, which would be a real pain for me in new england.

racinjason40
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
yeah me to my friends friend has one on his ltz and he said he couldnt get it tuned... but he is not to mechanicly inclined. Because i am going to get a 400ex that has one with it and just wondering if i should put it on it or just leae the stock one. The owner said he had troubles with it runing when it was colder out. So just wanted to know if there more trouble than good.

REDRIDDER
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
i have one and love it forget jetting. If you can read then you can do all your own tuning, their are 32 settings before you need to change out the needle completely 16 rich and 16 lean.the carb is aw some down low and will carry all the way to the top i have mine on a 426ex with a 17e needle and about 5-6 clicks from all the way rich. Each click equals a 1/4 of a turn so for example 6 clicks would equal out to be 1 & 1/2 turns. also the accelerator pump setting is very easy to tune.Most of the time people that have an Edelbrock carb and don't like them don't take the time to figure it out ,every carb still needs to be fine tuned with elevation ,temp ect....but with the Edelbrock carb its just as easy as taking off the side plastics and the fuel tank taking the bolt out top of the edelbrock carb and adjust.And yes most of the time you will need to take off the plastics more than once but the performance gains will out weigh the hassle of taking off the plastics by far.

racinjason40
10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey thanks for the info on the carb. The motor that it would go on is a 426ex like yours so thats good to know. So I should put this carb on the quad when i get it because it makes that big of a difference? I might try and get ahold of you for some more info if i need it. Thanks

jeepin21
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
i had the edelbrock 440 carb on my 440. it was ok but hard to tune and didnt like the thumb throttle length. i went to a FCR 39mm and what a difference i live in new england too and it runs great in the winter with no choke just pump the throttle 8 times and it will fire right up. i would spend a little more money and get the FCR. Or fined a 450r guy that is selling his carb they are a FCR 41mm and they have a choke if you are worried about the starting problems.

Big - D Racing
10-13-2007, 08:24 AM
I run the 440 eichner carb, and love it I wouldn't change it for anything. It is easy to adjust it is just different then other carbs and people who I find complain about it, never take the time to learn it. As soon as they do they realize just how easy it is, even though it is different. It is also the only carb that doesn't have to be adjusted for altitude changes. No c-clip on the needle. I can run my carb below sea level then up in the rockies! Power is great too. I have run the fcr 39, the standard edelbrock, and now the eichner edelbrock. I would place them in this order in terms of power gain: 1: eichner 2: fcr 39 3: standard edelbrock

REDRIDDER
10-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
I run the 440 eichner carb, and love it I wouldn't change it for anything. It is easy to adjust it is just different then other carbs and people who I find complain about it, never take the time to learn it. As soon as they do they realize just how easy it is, even though it is different. It is also the only carb that doesn't have to be adjusted for altitude changes. No c-clip on the needle. I can run my carb below sea level then up in the rockies! Power is great too. I have run the fcr 39, the standard edelbrock, and now the eichner edelbrock. I would place them in this order in terms of power gain: 1: eichner 2: fcr 39 3: standard edelbrock your absolutely right ......like i said if you can read you can tune. Also none of that blubbering crap when getting on the throttle.....and the accelerator pump just makes it that more crisp!

GOTFEAR
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
i would keep what you have with that size motor and would be harder two tun in

racinjason40
10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey thanks guys. So im going to try it and see what it does.