PDA

View Full Version : Amp/Sub help.

ZeroLogic
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
I just got done hooking up an old amp I got for free from my boss into a 10" Pioneer subwoofer thats brand new. I brought a amp wireing kit and hooked it up, I followed the instructions and everything. I had a 5gage wire run from the positive terminal on the battery into a splitter then from the splitter I had a 9 gage wire run into the amp. I'm getting no juice into the amp. Could the amp be ****ed? The fuses are all fine also.

braaap07
10-04-2007, 08:40 PM
if u made sure the power connection is good, you've also ran a ground wire as well as a remote wire... then ur amp's blown and u should smack your boss for giving u junk.

10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I just got done hooking up an old amp I got for free from my boss into a 10" Pioneer subwoofer thats brand new. I brought a amp wireing kit and hooked it up, I followed the instructions and everything. I had a 5gage wire run from the positive terminal on the battery into a splitter then from the splitter I had a 9 gage wire run into the amp. I'm getting no juice into the amp. Could the amp be ****ed? The fuses are all fine also.

Start flippin' switches...Everywhere.

Something's bound to happen.

miller821
10-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Well if you doing this in your vehicle I suggest just taking it out and hooking it up to a battery to test it first. Just see if you have power to your amp, and that should mainly tell you what you need to fix from their. (Bad connections, and etc.)

TRX_450
10-05-2007, 06:42 AM
do you have an inline fuse anywhere? also is your splitter from walmart by chance? ive seen alot of problems with the inline fuses and splitters from walmart...think they made by scorsce or sumthin like that...what i would do if i were you is to get a test light and check your signal starting at your battery and go all the way to where the wire runs into your amp...make sure you do both sides of the splitter...

also if you think its your remote...get a piece of wire and strip both ends and short the remote to the power....its a trick i use at work when i test amps that people bring in to get fixed

sly400ex
10-05-2007, 07:03 AM
hook the positive and remote up to a known good 12v source (car battery, etc) and the ground to the negative post or known good ground. See if the amp powers up then. If not and the fuses are definately good, the amp is probably fried.

XCpred
10-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Check all of your fuses and your ground wire. Make sure all of the connections are good too. If you're lazy borow one of your buddies working amps and hook it up to your wiring and see if it works. If not then there is something wrong in your wires.

ZeroLogic
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I didn't have the remote wire hooked up. Where in the hell is it suppsoe to go behind the head unit? It there a wire that I'm suppose to splice it into?

TRX_450
10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
see if its labeled amp remote but its usually blue or blue with a white stripe

honda250xrider
10-06-2007, 07:47 AM
have u even hook up the remote wire to your amp? it will not turn on without this hooked up, it should be a 6v or so going into the remote to make it turn on, just about all the aftermarket newer style at least have a remote wire for a amp.

HondaEXrider22
10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Deff. make sure all and ALL your grounds are making good connections. I see alot of problems with that in all my friends stereos.

ridered11
10-06-2007, 03:11 PM
yeah like trx said splice into the blue wire with usually a white stripe (remote wire)

it gives power to the head unit (along with your amp) only when the ignition is on so it doesn't kill the battery

ZeroLogic
10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I have it hooked up any everything. I had it bridged before (the amp manual called for it) and it fried my head unit.:mad: Went to Wally world and brought a new one, came home installed it and unbridged the connections. Its running right now but it don't seem like it hits as hard as it did before I fried the head unit. Anyone know why? Also the headunit get hot but you still can touch it. It that normal?

ZeroLogic
10-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I also got the bass turned up and what not.

Chin_Chilla
10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Explain how you bridged the amp...

ZeroLogic
10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
Explain how you bridged the amp...

This is what the guy at Auto Zone told me so take his word for it not mine. But there is four tabs on the back of the amp. They say R+ R- L+ L-. I have the speaker wire running from the L+ and the R- into the sub. The guy said I had it bridged and not to hook it up like that.

honda250xrider
10-07-2007, 07:59 AM
as long as the amp is capable of running the sub bridged it should be alright, u need to know the ohms of the sub most amps wont be able to handle less than 4ohms bridged, this would not effect your headunit, sounds like you had a case of a cheap headunit or not grounded and it blew your internal amp in the head unit or all your preouts,

sly400ex
10-07-2007, 08:46 AM
^^^^correct. Also, it's not hitting as hard before because when you had it bridged (if done right) you were nearly doubling the output of your amp.

Chin_Chilla
10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Is there any way you can take pics of how you have everything set up?

ZeroLogic
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok I did some fooling around and I have it all hooked up. Man it thumps for one ten incher!

wilkin250r
10-08-2007, 02:57 AM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but this is basic stuff. If you don't know about remote wires, bridged outputs, and basic impedance, then you shouldn't be hooking up your own amp. That's not to say it can't be done, but you should be reading up on it and learning BEFORE you do it.

It's like your quad. Before you start pulling the cylinder head to rebuild the top end, you should learn how to remove your fenders and drain the oil...