PDA

View Full Version : my 350x runs again!

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
ok i got my quad running again.

just need a little help in the right direction.

first i got an oil leak its coming from the rocker box were the two flat head screws are, i belive its for the rocker arms.

second i rode it around for a 1/2 hour and noticed the left header was red hot. so i parked it and let it cool. my cousin swaped spark plugs when it was parked could the plug just be to hot? i may be running lean as well. it ran crappy with the box lid off.

im running the stock 350x carb, 350x boot uni filter and stock 350x header with 2" added right out of the motor to a open supertrap shorty. how many sizes bigger of a main jet should i start?

would i benifit buying a bigger oil cooler for a stock 350x engine?
what about installing a 400ex oil tank?

i just need a few opions from experts!

thanks in advance guys!

bwamos
10-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Aye, sounds like you may be a bit lean. Removing the lid making it worse is definatly an indicator. Go up 2 sizes on the main. And run her again.

2muchquad
10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
yeah you'll be leaner considering the weather is a bit cooler round'here.I would go up at least 1 size on the main and maybe even open the fuel screw a half turn or so if the throttle response is a bit sluggish.Im running a tranny cooler for a light duty truck as an oil cooler,$25 from the parts store,never had a problem;) Did you have to get your valve seats repaired replaced or just the guides and valves?

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-05-2007, 10:23 AM
WELL A guy bought the local shop up the road from my house and did 3 angle job on every hole and replaced the valve seat all for 50 bucks.
he told me for 20 he will show me how to dial everything in on it. including the price of the jet.
he is supposed to be getting a dyno and a flow bench in there soon to start building preformance motors.
i have the stock 350x oil cooler im just wondering if it would benifit me to go bigger then that.
it runs great untill it warms up then it sputters and bogs and back fires. im gonna get a 140 and a 142 main jet to try out. stock its a 138.

the guy that owns the shop use to be a pro racer for ktm and he broke his hip wrist and femer so his racing days are over. he really seems to know his stuff. im supposed to help him haul his small machine shop from his house to the new shop to get that set up. in return he is gonna fix my other 350x head and port it for me. i will prolly have him do my engine all up get it close to 400cc with oversize valves and a powroll stage 2 cam and a 39mm fcr carb

2muchquad
10-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah i would say your lean considering it runs good until it wqarms up,hence when the choke is on,its a richer condition.Thats good if you have a local guy that can do your machine work and knows what hes talking about.Any good riding up your way?:D

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
yea there is a few good spots. i havent been out in a while. but my buddy has a track behind his parents gas station. the biggest jump is a 100ft gap double, a few 70 and 50 footers, a six pack, whoops and berms.

a few nice hill climbs. lots of trails

oh my quad allready broke :rolleyes: ! i got a 140 Main in it and it was running great untill the rocker arm failed.

oh well im just gonna leave it tore down for a few weeks and install a high-comp piston.

2muchquad
10-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Man,that sucks,you just got the thing together.How did your rocker arm break?:(

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
just a weak link. i think im going to get hard face rockers and all new valves and springs. just try to bullet proof it.

does kibble white make valves for this engine?

2muchquad
10-05-2007, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt know for sure,i bought a set of the vesrah valves and they have been good.I have a set of kibblewhite valve springs that i have had for so long,so i would imagine they do or did at one time make valves as well.Hopefully you'll have that scoot back on the road er..woods in no time:D Theres the annual turkey run harescramle coming up in november that i try to do,you should check it out.

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
WHAT DATE IS THAT?

I would like to run a harescramble, if i can get it back up and running. i think this spring im gonna look for a stock 400 at a good price to start fresh with. or maybe even another 300. im kinda against getting a 450 i dont really care for the amount of maitinece they require even tho they do rip.

i do have another complete head that has bad journals in it i might just tear it apart and get the rockers hardwelded.

my buddy is getting back into quads now aswell. he lined up a deal to trade his 02 rm250 for a 2000 400ex even up.

im kinda getting upset with my motor, i wish i would of just spent the money for a new take out.

how are you liking the r frame hybrid?

2muchquad
10-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I have to look at the cra schedule,i know its in mid november.The 250r hybrid is no more,i took the 300ex motor out and put a cr250 motor in it,it rips.I put the 300ex motor back in my 300ex frame and i have been riding it.

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
your always tinkering! to bad i dint live closer i could prolly learn a thing or two.

my problem now is my tools i let a friend borrow my craftsmen 168 peice socket set and he lost half of them and left them out in the rain:mad: and im missing all 8mm sockets and thats about every bolt on the engine. luckly autozone sells sockets

2muchquad
10-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Thats one thing you'll learn my lad,dont ever under any circumstances loan tools out to anybody.Unless they have a deposit or some serious collateral:D

JIMFROMTEXCO
10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
yea your telling me. its no an 80 peice socket set. but sears has them on sale so i might go buy another set just so my old man dosnt notice i dont have them all. he bought them for me for x mas when i was 18. but the kid new i was pist off that he did that so he gave me a refurbished bosch circular saw he got for his birthday.

dork
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
oh man, you're always working on that thing:D

no one stocks o.s. valves for the 350x, but you can have them made ($$$). you can still get valvesprings from kibblewhite or r/d.
was it running better cold with no choke? because that would mean its rich, and what throttle position does it pop at?