PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled or Air cooled 50

kgmtech
10-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Was about to buy my daughter a DRR 50 to start racing was wondering if the watercooled or aircooled 50 would be better? Just wondering what everybody else thought about this......

bulldogfallon
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Liquid Cooled...

In stock form they are faster...plus DRR has a new high performance head for them

Ours is faster than the air cooled we run with....

I can barely keep them in stock...

I have the choice and I will without a doubt take the liquid cooled

MXfun
10-05-2007, 05:25 AM
We picked the air-cooled hoping it will have a lighter front end, and we will run on mostly shorter MX tracks.

Also, the liquid cooled seemed like it could present a little more maintenance and troubleshooting for the novice mechanic (me).

I'm sure liquid cooled are fine too, DRR is generally good.

kenjolly
10-05-2007, 06:20 AM
I have a air cooled 50 and a water cooled 70 and we have run againt the wc 50's. The wc quad's are faster out of the box and the front end wieght is not a problem once you teach them to jump with the gas on.

drr 50 for sale next month.

drr5
10-05-2007, 06:38 AM
im with bulldog, go water cooled i have worked on one they are faster than our air cooled, and our bike is no slouch it has pulled many holeshots, but i believe that drr has got the wc motor pretty reliable.

bulldogfallon
10-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by MXfun
We picked the air-cooled hoping it will have a lighter front end, and we will run on mostly shorter MX tracks.

Also, the liquid cooled seemed like it could present a little more maintenance and troubleshooting for the novice mechanic (me).

I'm sure liquid cooled are fine too, DRR is generally good.

Heavier front end? The radiator and fluid weight is so minimal it shouldn't even be consider an issue..

Liquid Cooled is easier to work on. IMO.....

No plastic shrounds to work around....Everything is out in the open.

Plus the liquid cooled are definately faster in stock form....

Don't get talked into an air cooled by some that only has air cooled in stock...

We have both currently, but I will not be bringing anymore air cooled into inventory...

I get multiple calls a day from guys upgrading their air cooled 50 into liquid cooled 50s...

You can make the air cooled 50s very fast, but some areas(like ours) will not allow any mods to the 50 class.

Good luck either way.....

kenjolly
10-05-2007, 06:42 AM
those hole shots are because you switch motors between moto's.hahahhahahaha

go water cooled its the way to go.

bulldogfallon
10-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by kenjolly
I have a air cooled 50 and a water cooled 70 and we have run againt the wc 50's. The wc quad's are faster out of the box and the front end wieght is not a problem once you teach them to jump with the gas on.

drr 50 for sale next month.

Your front end issue may be due to the extended width of the a-arms and +2" length of the swingarm....

I imagine this geometry would keep the quad on the ground more..

The water cooling components weight is non issuse IMO.

drr5
10-05-2007, 07:41 AM
gang it ken dont let the cat out the bag, K5 IT! HAHAHAHAHAHALOL:blah: HATERS:D

humboldt hills
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I was all about the air cooled, because I just didn't know enough about the water cooled. Didn't think it was proven yet. But now we only stock the WC's. In my opinion, they are the only way to go.

MXfun
10-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Man, am I outnumbered here! Do we have any chance at winning races?!

Maybe that's why we got a great deal on the air-cooled!

It is plenty fast for my soon to be 5 year old. He is only running half throttle during break-in, and I will keep it there for awhile.

bulldogfallon
10-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Air cooled will do you just fine....They can be made to go pretty fast..

You asked, so we answered...

Have fun and be safe and make sure to post pics of your new hot rod!!

Andyman17dad
10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
It all depends on the riders that your kid is up against!!

kgmtech
10-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I appreciate all the info you guys have given me that helps alot.....will be going with the watercooled model.

jetski_dawg
10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
this is a good thread.. just ordered my son a new red DRR 50 wc this morning.. he was gonna get hurt pushing his predator 50 as hard as he does.. i wonder if it will have a bulldog on the side of it???? thanks again dusty and gary

bulldogfallon
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
That could be arranged... :)

bulldogfallon
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
That could be arranged... :)

jetski_dawg
10-08-2007, 12:29 PM
cool!!:D