PDA

View Full Version : Asking your opinions.

cdevito
10-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I ride a Honda. Both of my sons ride Hondas. We're a Honda family. I ran into a guy the other day who sells DRR's. Never heard of them. Actually saw today that they have their own forum on this site.

My cousin is considering buying one for his son. What are your thoughts if any on this bike????? Have any of you guys raced against one and how'd it turn out.

Just signed me and my oldest up to race FTR quad scrambles and I'm told I'll run into a bunch or these bikes. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Nichols Atvs
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Best thing since sliced bread !! check the mini race scene DRR dominates cant beat all the standard features look up drr atvs on the net. or just check out the forum. you ll want one after reading we race them .

mxdad
10-05-2007, 04:30 AM
IMHO unless you are going to drop 7k on a Cobra, they are by far the best stock mini race quad on the market. Very reputable and very reliable. The company definitely is into mini quad racing and they support their racers.

mxslevnik69
10-05-2007, 09:28 PM
i think a typhoon is better than a drr.

bulldogfallon
10-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by mxslevnik69
i think a typhoon is better than a drr.

Please explain how the Typhoon is better than one of the new Liquid Cooled DRX90s?

I am interested in this info....

bulldogfallon
10-06-2007, 07:49 PM
DRR makes great bikes, but is backed by even better people.

Chris I am the S.E. distributor for DRR and promise that you will find no better factory support than by DRR, especially in Florida.

The Honda TRX90 is a great machine, but it costs way too much to compete (if budget is an issue)

One of the newest 2007 liquid cooled DRX90s are quite fast out and packed with tons of performance and safety features stock of the box for a lot less money than a stock Honda.

I love Honda, but my boys ride DRRs.....

Big bikes Honda all the way(I have a 06 TRX450ES)...on the minis DRR can't be beat for their value.

Give me a call if have any questions...My phone is on 24hrs a day

bulldogfallon
10-06-2007, 08:31 PM
I live in FL Chris...West Palm Beach area

Where are you located?

cheatermtrsprts
10-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I will agree with Bulldog. I have been a DRR dealer for a while now and used to be a dealer for 2 other brands. DRR not only produces a great race quad out of the box, but the DRR people are what makes the difference. I have never dealt with such caring people. If there is ever a problem they will bend over backwards to help. Also they are always looking for input on how to better their products. I have several satisfied customers, not only with my services, but with DRR and their continued support. Just my .02 worth.

ecmini1
10-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I will 3rd this about the DRR product. Best out of the box and best factory backing bar none. DRR cares and is always listening to the customers on R&D and they respond.

What more can you ask for, a great mini at a great price and great dealer network and suport. Is there a question which mini to buy?:D

azextreme
10-07-2007, 08:45 PM
any dealers on the west coast???

bulldogfallon
10-07-2007, 10:49 PM
West Coast of the U.S. or FL?

raidernut
10-07-2007, 11:42 PM
try www.bennettsdr.com in arizona 928-923-8515 that one is closest to you, but anyone can ship one

hotquads1
10-08-2007, 06:41 AM
If you have not been racing , then chances are you have not run up on any DRR's, they are built with racing in mind , and are a little known secret outside of the track, but you will certainly see some when you start racing. Great product , we have sold many , and we attend the ATVA nationals to support the DRR racers with parts and service, we have had a very positive feedback from the DRR owners we have met this past couple of years. I think your cousin would be happy if he chooses DRR. Florida is quickly being taken over by the DRR nation , word is traveling fast and DRR will be a household name in the near future, thanks to Gary "bullfrog" fallon and his trusty team of dealers.
marc

drr5
10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
hey marc nice shot on the (bullfrog), oh i ment bulldog lol

jetski_dawg
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
we are still deciding to run in the FTR race on the 20th in L-cross but we will be for sure running in the one here in venice fl.. ill be on a z400 and both my kids will be on DRR's.. in FTR scrambles the fastest quad doesnt always win and i think you will do great with the hondas.. we race MX mostly and DRR cant be beat..for the price and what you get, DRR is a great quad and you dont have to take out a second mortgage for it...good luck

cdevito
10-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Gary, I believe you know my cousin Raul. He called me immediately after seeing the 50 and 70cc bikes. Blown away better describes it. For what I have spent so far, he is telling me I could by two DRR's from you. I'd like to stop by with him if that is O.K. We have the FTR race on the 20th so it might be after that.

Besides my 5 y/o wants to check out that KTM if you still have it for sale.

Look forward to meeting you.

Chris.

cdevito
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Hopfully I'll see you there on the 20th. Thanks for the luck...

bulldogfallon
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
You are welcome to stop by home anytime....Raul and I went to shcool together....

Just happened to run into him at the grocery store....

The KTM may be gone....One of my DRR guys has asked me to hold it for him until he confirms that it will work for his rider.

The DRR Nation always has room for a few more riders :)

guy310
10-16-2007, 08:37 AM
6 of one, half dozen of another. DRR and Xtreme are both good quads. If you like 4-strokes or 2-strokes is usually the deciding factor. They each have had their issues, as will any machine, especially when they first come out. We have an Xtreme and a good friend of ours races a DRR and we do a lot of comparing and the kids are always battling it out on the track. It is a matter of personal preference and both should be investigated.

myersracing41
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm almost afraid to even ask after reading this post. But what about the scrambler 90's do they even run them?

guy310
10-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Scramblers are a decent base, they just require more mods to get them to the level of some of the other quads. A fair amount of people race the polaris.

Nichols Atvs
10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
If you can find one that has allresdy been done you would be far ahead going to spend about 2500 to 3500 for a used mod quad

myersracing41
10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Well thanks for the replies.
I just dont want to spend a ton, not knowing for sure if he will even want to stick with it. I started out racing karts at an early age when it was cheap and then by the time I was married it was blown way out of proportion. But thats any type of racing. We have a small fortune in our off road RC racing.
Can ya'll post some links to the aftermarket goodies?
Thanks Jason

myersracing41
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
They defintley look cool. I will admit, I was just hoping to get him in on an entry level quad just to make sure thats what he wants to race. Everyone around here wants him to race karts but I would like for him to try quads or bikes first and then go to oval if he wants.
Thanks for the info.

bulldogfallon
10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Myers you have a PM

DoubleDad
10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Myers Check PM

newnick
10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Check the classifieds on here, there's a couple good quads for sale.

cdevito
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Raced the quad scramble this past weekend in Okeechobee. 4 DRR's, Gary, man these are bad*****. Took 1,2 5,& 6. Look pretty cool too. The winner's dad said this was the first race his son had on the DRR. Picked it up the week before. My son had a bad start thanks to dad, but he made up some ground on his trx. We'll do better next time, first timer mistakes. If anyone is in the market though.....

Chris

11-29-2007, 01:59 PM
What is clear is that you should buy 2-stroke. The four strokes are expensive to build if you are trying to compete. The DRR is among the best out there if not the best. Gary in FL. is very dedicated and is a standout for it. Also, what ever you buy will surely need to go faster and our Metrakit parts bolt on to any of the 2-strokes. We are the Metrakit importer and strongly suggest the DRR as a platform.

guy310
11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
The DRR is a very good quad and well suited for all kinds of riding/racing. With that said, I have to disagree with the statement that 4-strokes are expensive to build fast. A TRX90 is expensive to make go fast but all of the others are right on par with the 2-smokes. Comparatively, for less than $1000 you could get a complete 124 kit for any of the chinese 4-strokes that would (does) produce upwards of 13-14 hp on a pitbike. (Provable with dyno charts) For $1000 for a 2-smoke, I am not sure what kind of hp you would get. I have never seen anybody make any hp claims and for that matter they would be very hard to prove with a dyno due to the difficulties in putting a mini quad on a dyno and lack of 90cc 2-smoke dirtbikes. They are both very good choices with advantages and disadvantages, and with you (59180) having a biased opinion, I think that just needed to be clarified.

11-30-2007, 07:38 AM
You are right guy310, I posted my OPINION becasue at all the nationals and local events I have attend directly or indirectly, 4 strokes are not competitive for reasonable money.
The fact remains that most of our customers simply go faster on the 2 stroke (2-Smoke) than the 125 equivalent 4's. For clarification I am not anti-4 stroke. I own several personal 4 stokes. Having said that, the general feel out there is that the 4's do not compete well on tracks and while there are very trick Daytona, Kitako and Takegawa kits available, the real fast ones cost upwards of $3000.00. No I am not biased or at leat not the result of my Metrakit business, If the gentleman asking for opinions decides on a four stroke there are a handfull of brands to consider for parts as mentioned above.
Also when comparing the 2 and 4's out there remember that there are good quality parts and then there are the rest. As a note a chinese or taiwanese 2 stroke kit is typically only as good as the builder installing/porting etc. A proper kit that installs right out of the box is far superior to the $1000.00 4 stroke build that you mention above. Note Metrakit 70 quads took the first 5 flags at Lorettas this year and one of those took second in the 90 class. That's what a bolt on kit should do and only a very expensive 4 stroke would compare.
My son had a 4 stroke quad and guess what, no transmission isuues if you know what I mean!!
But you won't see him racing it. I hope this helps clear my position on the post. Thank you in advance

bulldogfallon
11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by guy310
The DRR is a very good quad and well suited for all kinds of riding/racing. With that said, I have to disagree with the statement that 4-strokes are expensive to build fast. A TRX90 is expensive to make go fast but all of the others are right on par with the 2-smokes. Comparatively, for less than $1000 you could get a complete 124 kit for any of the chinese 4-strokes that would (does) produce upwards of 13-14 hp on a pitbike. (Provable with dyno charts) For $1000 for a 2-smoke, I am not sure what kind of hp you would get. I have never seen anybody make any hp claims and for that matter they would be very hard to prove with a dyno due to the difficulties in putting a mini quad on a dyno and lack of 90cc 2-smoke dirtbikes. They are both very good choices with advantages and disadvantages, and with you (59180) having a biased opinion, I think that just needed to be clarified.

I wouldn't throw any Chinese product into this conversation....sure it will be cheap, but with "most" things you get what you pay for.

It is not all about dyno numbers....it is about reliability and quality of the complete product...suspension, frame, electical system etc..

AND Customer Support....

Chinese products are not on par yet...so comparing Chinese performance parts (2 or 4 stroke) is like comparing apples and oranges. IMO

"Currently" it is a fact that making a 4 stroke quad to perform the same a 2 stroke quad is going to cost a lot more money.

Now this could all change tomorrow (like when DRR's 4 stroke 125cc quad hits the market...not out yet though)

The reason for this is the uneven platform that the 4 stroke quads are delivered with.....TRX90, KFX90, LT90....All require subtantial upgrades (beyond the engine as well) to compete with an Apex, DRR, Keases etc..

Now the Can Am "seems" to have a better 4 stroke platform to work with (frame, suspension, wheels etc), but it does cost about $800 more than a DRR and needs expensive engine components to help it keep pace with a 2 stroke.

Not a knock on 4 strokes at all.....I race a TRX450R....What do I race against? TRX250Rs that are 2 strokes.....Do you see the cc difference to be able to compete on an equal level?

When the 4 stroke technology runs downhill into the mini quads, the 4 strokes will be the ideal choice for sure, but that isn't available in a factory set up or and inexpensive option right now.

Heck...Honda could really hurt other 2 stroke manufacturers if they dropped that CRF150 engine into an updated TRX90 frame. I would buy one...no doubt about it

I think you will see National Events cater to 4 strokes more in the future and allow them to be their own entity, so manufacturers (all the big 4-5) will have an opportunity to have success.

But currently, the 2 strokes are faster and a better value in "stock" form for racing. The Chinese product is inferior in many ways, but who knows what the future brings..

guy310
11-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Where are DRR's made? I wasn't really talking about a TRX or any of the other jap 4-strokes. I was only talking Xtreme for the most part as it compares to the DRR. All of the other 2 strokes and 4 strokes require fundamental changes that these 2 quads do not. They (DRR and Xtreme) require upgrades. The issue with Xtreme has been with the 125's as it relates to the clutch. There is a kid on this forum who races an Xtreme in the Worcs series who did very well and his quad was built for about 9,000 as I understand it. This quad was built to withstand the WORCS series not a 4 lap MX race. The point is , you would spend equally I believe to makea DRR that was up to par with the performance and reliability as that Xtreme.

bulldogfallon
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Until a company like Honda or KTM put a 4 stroke on the track "dollar for dollar" a 2 stroke will win just about everytime.

This is not a knock on Xtreme or 4 bangers...

You will see DRR with a 4 stroke quad that should be a solid platform to start with.

It is too bad Extreme let their product get copied by the Chinese manufacturers.....really hurts their image....their platform was original and definately a head turner for sure...

And they were getting ahead of the curve with the 4 stroke offering....

Honda TRX150 would beat them all....no doubt about it

guy310
11-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Where are DRR's made?

azextreme
11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I'll give you a hint "china"

brainwashed
11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
China? No.

The bikes are imported from Taiwan and use a quality 2-stroke Taiwanese scooter motor that has been used for over 10 years.

They are a quality product with innovations done every year and allot of after market support for the motor.

azextreme
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Taiwan hehehe as if that make it sound any better!

bulldogfallon
11-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by azextreme
Taiwan hehehe as if that make it sound any better!

Your post was a joke right?

guy310
12-02-2007, 07:56 AM
My point exactly. Taiwan minis are better than China minis? That is a pretty all-encompassing statemtent to make and I think it is misleading. While there is a lot of junk made in china, it is very unfair to compare all products made in china as apples to apples.

[It is not all about dyno numbers....it is about reliability and quality of the complete product...suspension, frame, electical system etc..

AND Customer Support....

Chinese products are not on par yet...so comparing Chinese performance parts (2 or 4 stroke) is like comparing apples and oranges. IMO

"Currently" it is a fact that making a 4 stroke quad to perform the same a 2 stroke quad is going to cost a lot more money.]

Dyno numbers + reliability = 4-stroke mini quad. I don't know of any chinese designed performance parts for the mini quads, so I don't really understand what you are talking about there, companies take a chinese bottom end and do all of the performance mods using jap or american designed parts. Maybe you haven't heard, but Kitaco and Takegawa are not the only producers of 4-stroke performance parts.

Customer support - You have only one 2-stroke company with good customer support (DRR) and one 4-stroke company with good customer support (Xtreme).

And as far as facts supporting the argument that 4-stroke cost more, I would like someone to repsond to this post with real dollar figures of what it would cost for Hetrick or another well known reliable engine builder to build a Race Ready National engine that will have an expected life span of one season without changing the top end every 3 races. Put that dollar amount in a post here and I will rebut with the same quality 4-stroke engine cost and we can compare. And while we are at it we should probably throw in suspension too.

I know 2 families that we race with that own DRR's and they are currently doing their winter rebuilds and when they are all complete, and when ours is too, I will report on what everybody spent and what they felt like they got for their money and the performance of each of the three.

Like I said before, both machines are very good with neither being better for everyone. Each has their own attributes and downfalls and will make a good choice for anyone.

tom450r
12-12-2007, 08:16 PM
hey guy310 I'll never tell. muhhhhh. if I told you I would have to kill you....& it's only money.....OH & on the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate who really cares, buy a quad for your kid to race & YOU ARE going to spend a butt load of money on it of your going to lose. as long as your kids having fun who really cares. LOL the dad's do thats who!?!?!?

lilman
01-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree bang for the buck the typhoon is a great starting point,with excellent support for the 4stroke.if anyone was honest dollar for dollar they are cheaper to mod!

Hetrick Racing
01-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Basic reply to the post asked not there after.
Do you like your honda ?
Have you done any mods to it ?
If yes is the answer to the above then the next question is do you have the funds to build it to compete in racing ?(not that it matters to post that but it will cost a bunch of money)
If building the Honda is not in your budget then the DRR is the quad you want to race with.
Why I say that is because you already own the Honda,built they will run out front.
The problem with posting on any forum is there are a bunch of people trying to sell you on the product they ride and or sell and their opinions are very bias.

Say it like this
RACING IS VERY EXPENSIVE
there are a few in this great country of ours that can make any mini compete. How well it holds up is a different story.
The DRR holds up very well for the money you spend
The Honda holds up way better but the cost is much more ,3 times more

Pappy
01-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
Basic reply to the post asked not there after.
Do you like your honda ?
Have you done any mods to it ?
If yes is the answer to the above then the next question is do you have the funds to build it to compete in racing ?(not that it matters to post that but it will cost a bunch of money)
If building the Honda is not in your budget then the DRR is the quad you want to race with.
Why I say that is because you already own the Honda,built they will run out front.
The problem with posting on any forum is there are a bunch of people trying to sell you on the product they ride and or sell and their opinions are very bias.

Say it like this
RACING IS VERY EXPENSIVE
there are a few in this great country of ours that can make any mini compete. How well it holds up is a different story.
The DRR holds up very well for the money you spend
The Honda holds up way better but the cost is much more ,3 times more

I would have typed those exact words!

I have a fully built TRX 90 here, best of everything, and a stock DRR would be on par with it performance wise...and yes..we have raced them both! And the Xtreme wouldnt even last a lap with our rider...been there tested that!

COLTBNME
01-11-2008, 01:15 PM
HEY RICH,

I LOVE MY HETRICK HONDA, AND I CANT WAIT TO GET MY HETRICK
DRX.
AFTER READING THESE POSTS, I HAVE TO WONDER WHY EVERYONE DOESNT JUST GET THERE KIDS ONE OF EACH,
LIKE ME. HAHAHA!!!!

PROUD MOM OF COLTON KELLUM#04
HETRICK TRX125
COMING SOON
HETRICK DRX90

snowfighter
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
as an owner of an xtreme type bike i will honestly tell you that i only wish i would have gonna ahead and spent the xtra for the drr i bought an xtreme knock off for 900 bucks purchased a quality gpx motor and then did a a "few" mods and a bone stock drr with a bigger carb is eating our lunches alot of wich is due to auto vs actually having to shift. cory"the boy that rides the drr"is also a good rider. i would recomend to you to buy the drr limited or have a dealer make you their version of a limited i did my research and alot of dealers will do things differently and some offer their own work for the clutches and such. i was working with hetrick on the one i was looking to buy and we did apples to apples comparison of limited version to what they could do for same money. if you are gona finance it do all your upgrades now, i firmly believe suspension is key ,if the ride feels good they will ride harder . you will be glad you got the drr

it is all about the kids let them have fun remember they are new to a gruling sport and will get better in time
i saw a quote on a forum earlier "its all about the friends not the wins "

tom450r
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
A-MEN!!!!
Originally posted by Pappy
I would have typed those exact words!

I have a fully built TRX 90 here, best of everything, and a stock DRR would be on par with it performance wise...and yes..we have raced them both! And the Xtreme wouldnt even last a lap with our rider...been there tested that!

humboldt hills
02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
all the people that know something about something in this forum have given very good replies.
We race Gncc's and harescrambles. We ride Drr with pride. We went to our first gncc last year at the JOhn Penton. A cpl of the honda's that were built to the hilt we running good. Not to bash the xtremes, but they just couldn't keep up. From what I could gather, the shifting is very poor on the xtremes and the older kids were getting passed by the younger kids on 2 stks because the just hit the gas and go. I asked one kid that was camping by us how he liked the xtreme, because we just got our drr a month b4 and we were comparing the 2, he said he wished he had his polaris back.

and the guy that thinks taiwan is the same as china is clueless.
and I am also confused, are the xtremes made in china now?
I always though they were taiwan also?