PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak

carx_man
10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
I recently had to redo the upper end of my 400ex and it runs really good now but, i hear a ticking noise which i believe to be an exhaust leak from where the head pipe bolts on the head. I originally thought it was just the valves not being adjusted but after adjusting them 4 times it still has the same noise.

The kit bought had some round copper looking gaskets in it , they looked like they could be gaskets, but there were no gaskets when i took it apart so I dont know.

I had the cylinder bored 1mm over, a 10.5:1 piston, stage 1 hotcam installed... will this just make noise or is there anything i can do about the ticking??

Eviltanker
10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Those are crush gaskets. They go between the header and the head. Put them in then tighten header up till ticking stops. I am not sure of the torque spec off hand. Also did you check your valves?

300exOH
10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by carx_man
I recently had to redo the upper end of my 400ex and it runs really good now but, i hear a ticking noise which i believe to be an exhaust leak from where the head pipe bolts on the head. I originally thought it was just the valves not being adjusted but after adjusting them 4 times it still has the same noise.

The kit bought had some round copper looking gaskets in it , they looked like they could be gaskets, but there were no gaskets when i took it apart so I dont know.

I had the cylinder bored 1mm over, a 10.5:1 piston, stage 1 hotcam installed... will this just make noise or is there anything i can do about the ticking??

From what I have been told aftermarket cams tend to be noisy because of the increased lift. The round copper gaskets are the exhaust gaskets.

carx_man
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Before I took it apart it was smoking really bad. I took it apart and sent the head and cylinder to a local bike shop. He said that my exhaust valves needed to be replaced and that was the reason my bike was smoking so much. I will put those gaskets in and see if that makes a difference. The reason I didnt put them in was I didnt see any when I took it apart and it made no noise before. thank you for the quick replies.

300exOH
10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by carx_man
Before I took it apart it was smoking really bad. I took it apart and sent the head and cylinder to a local bike shop. He said that my exhaust valves needed to be replaced and that was the reason my bike was smoking so much. I will put those gaskets in and see if that makes a difference. The reason I didnt put them in was I didnt see any when I took it apart and it made no noise before. thank you for the quick replies.

The exhaust crush gaskets may have been stuck in the head. You may want to make sure it isn't still there before you install the new ones.