View Full Version : Anyone work at a dealership???

firefighterjosh
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Just wondered how you like it? Does it pay decent?

I am thinking of getting a 2nd job, something I would enjoy.

I like to talk to people so I though sales might be a good place to go for me.

Toadz400
10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Just wondered how you like it? Does it pay decent?

I am thinking of getting a 2nd job, something I would enjoy.

I like to talk to people so I though sales might be a good place to go for me.

I've found it hard to find a job at a dealership. Seems all of them want you to have some sort of education or experience with car dealing. Otherwise I'd already be working at a dealership, I'm great with people and I have plenty of experience with sales. The only problem is that I would hate to be paid on commission. No matter what, I just can't rip people off.

firefighterjosh
10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I wasnt expecting to become a saleman right away. I just want a part time job that could be fun. I dont really care what I would be doing

Quad18star
10-04-2007, 06:12 AM
I work parts for a BRP/Can-Am and John Deere dealer in town . Pay is alright , benefits , no commission , cost plus 10% on anything they sell.

Toadz400
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I work parts for a BRP/Can-Am and John Deere dealer in town . Pay is alright , benefits , no commission , cost plus 10% on anything they sell.

Hmm, I might have to stop by the local Yamaha and Kawasaki shops to see if they're hiring.

lghickman21
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I mechanic at Mid-State Motorsports in Cookeville Tennessee. The pay is good, most of the new people or part time people that they bring in make good enough money to support their hobbies. New guys usually go over new units and make sure they are in running condition or change tires and stuff like that. It's alot of fun if you can get hired.

Quad18star
10-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Hmm, I might have to stop by the local Yamaha and Kawasaki shops to see if they're hiring.

I worked at a local Yamaha dealership in the Parts Department for a week 2 weeks ago .... it was alright , but Yamaha's computer system up here is pretty confusing and their model codes are rediculous. Instead of calling a Yamaha Big Bear a Big Bear in the system , it's a YFM350FW ... gets even more confusing when some machines came as manual or automatic machines and came as special or limited editions.

Quads were actually the easiest out of the bunch because they all started with YFM ... the different codes for dirt bikes , streetbikes , snowmobile and outboard motors now those were right f***ing messed up.

BRP/Can-Am very simple. Their systems says " 2005 Outlander 800" so there's no getting mistaken for another machine. Also a lot of the parts on the Can-Ams interchange with the different models . Example : all the 4-Tec engines use the same oil filter.

I get to mess around with the Ski-Doo line-up , Sea Doo and Sport boat as, well as Mercury and Evinrude outboards. I'm learning all the John Deere stuff right now ... so far it's pretty simple. If the guy has the model number ( ex 4020) you can find the parts alphabetically. :p

Here's BRPs program to look up parts. Check out how simple it is.
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?lang=E

underpowered
10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
i work at a small shop. not a stealership. pay is not horrible, but not great either. but we pay cost for all parts, the mechanic will help us with any needs we have (yamaha/KTM top certified), used to build motors for Scott summers (GNCC Bike rider) he is a wealth of knowledge. it is a great job, working with what i love, and helping others to. and also, gettin to go to the dealer show every year is pretty cool. i'd say go for it, i work mine for a second job. it pays for pretty much all my parts.

braaap07
10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I work at a Honda/Yamaha Dealership and I love it. I work in parts and get a pretty decent hourly pay, benefits, and discounted prices on everything they sell. I also run the eBay store so I get commission on all eBay sales. Everyone that works there has a lot of fun working there.

Toadz400
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Well you guys convinced me. I'm definitely going to try and get a job at a nearby dealership.

TWILES
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Get a job at a Harley dealership. My wife works at one as the finance manager and they get enough business that they can pay their people really good. She worked at a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership last year and did OK. A place HAS to make money to pay good. Her pay is mostly commission BUT the money paying the commission is coming in constantly. The mechanics there make really good too BECAUSE they can afford to pay them good. Thats what you have to look at. If you are going to MMI or somewhere similar, go for the Harleys.

250rmike
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
i worked at a dealership a few years back and im trying to get a part time job at a local honda dealership for the winter time to help with my hobby. and as long as you enjoy the sport youll like it. can get boring at times but fun none the less

400exrider707
10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
Get a job at a Harley dealership. My wife works at one as the finance manager and they get enough business that they can pay their people really good. She worked at a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership last year and did OK. A place HAS to make money to pay good. Her pay is mostly commission BUT the money paying the commission is coming in constantly. The mechanics there make really good too BECAUSE they can afford to pay them good. Thats what you have to look at. If you are going to MMI or somewhere similar, go for the Harleys.

There will always be a place for a harley mechanic, I've never seen one that didn't need work! haha:blah:

firefighterjosh
10-05-2007, 11:32 PM
thanks for all the replies. i may try getting into the local dealership. i really want to work at the motoplex but its about 45 mins away:(

biker
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
There will always be a place for a harley mechanic, I've never seen one that didn't need work! haha

And you don't know your ***** from a hole in the ground either:blah: